Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Yukon and it’s very cold here in the winter. If there is even a skiff of snow on the hood and I don’t brush it off before driving, the driver side of my vehicle will become so incredibly foggy in an instant that it impairs my vision. The passenger side never is impacted. Any ideas? Photo attempts to show it
Mirror Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I sing a lot of heavy metal while driving and the glass fogs up quickly when it's cold out. I usually keep the heater set at the feet-and-defrost combo with the fan speed at the second or third bar and the temp at 80, and the windshield typically remains clear. Given the amount of heating elements in this car (seats, steering wheel, etc) I sometimes crack a window to allow cooler air to circulate to defog the side windows.

However, if you're dealing with snow hitting the windshield from the hood, maybe keep front defrost on at high until everything's clear. I've driven in a few snow storms already and haven't experienced what you're suggesting, and I don't brush off the hood down to the paint because I don't want to scratch the clearcoat. I just get the bulk of the snow off and let the rest fly off or melt away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sing a lot of heavy metal while driving and the glass fogs up quickly when it's cold out. I usually keep the heater set at the feet-and-defrost combo with the fan speed at the second or third bar and the temp at 80, and the windshield typically remains clear. Given the amount of heating elements in this car (seats, steering wheel, etc) I sometimes crack a window to allow cooler air to circulate to defog the side windows.

However, if you're dealing with snow hitting the windshield from the hood, maybe keep front defrost on at high until everything's clear. I've driven in a few snow storms already and haven't experienced what you're suggesting, and I don't brush off the hood down to the paint because I don't want to scratch the clearcoat. I just get the bulk of the snow off and let the rest fly off or melt away.
Although I don't sing a lot of heavy metal, this happens to me after I come out of the pool with wet hair. That would make more sense, but this is from small amounts of snow maybe coming into the vehicle on just one side (the drivers side) and causing humidity to come in. The problem starts when you start driving. Sometimes its possible to have the car nice and warm, and sometimes its not. And once I start driving it can become a real hazard that takes a long time to resolve itself. Maybe its the filters/blocked vent of some kind.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Are you saying that snow is coming in and forming on the inside of the windshield on the driver's side? The wet hair and body from swimming I can see causing fogging issues, but if bits of snow-ice are somehow making it inside, my only thought would be either a problem with the window seal (a leak) that I think you would've heard by now, or maybe you're cabin filter is missing or collapsed and allowing fresh fragements of snow into the car which are being circulated through the heating system and onto the windshield. But mainly on the driver's side is the problem with that last idea, unless you've got a clog in the defrost vent on the pass-side, which is probably unlikely. Unless, of course, there are two duct outlets coming from the cabin filter housing, and maybe a collapsed filter is blocking one of those ducts more than the other. Or perhaps there's greater flow to the driver's side than the passenger side, so the snow-ice particulates aren't melted yet. Interesting...

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
Probably a good idea to check the cabin filter and make sure it's not obstructing airflow. They are seldom replaced.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here's a video that shows how to check/replace the cabin filter...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts