Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2017 .5 Murano SL which I love. I purchased the car in July and I live in Pennsylvania. The last few weeks we've gotten progressively colder weather with frost in the mornings. I have noticed on more than one occasion that my car windshield on the INSIDE completely fogs or frosts over. The other day the entire windshield inside was covered from top to bottom, left to right, and the frost was as thick as the frost on the outside of the car. My car is currently sitting at the dealer since Wednesday and the dealer says that they cannot find anything wrong with the car. I did my due diligence before taking it to the dealer. I stored nothing that's wet in the car, I have rubber floor mats, nothing leaks when it rains, I don't hear any whistling of air while driving, I checked all the carpeted floor mats and nothing is wet. I've tried changing the vent setting to outside air as well as inside air but there's been no change. I cracked my driver window when it sits out in the sun all day long but that doesn't seem to help. The dealer mention that they checked the air conditioning drain to make sure nothing is clogged, as well as the window seals. They plan to keep the car at least over the weekend to see if they can find out anything else. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this being that it is literally a brand new vehicle, with less than 2000 miles on it. I've had no issues with even fogged-up windows before in this car, it's only happened in the last month or so as the days have gotten colder. I do understand that a lot of it is the condensation from people being in the car and then sitting out in the warm sun and in the cold air at night but I don't believe that this should be happening to a brand new car. No other windows in the vehicle have this issue, only the front windshield.

Is there anything else that I can do either on my end or mention to the dealer to have checked?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would make sure the fresh air/recirculating door opens and closes properly and I would not rely on the indicator lights on the A/C & heater control panel (the actuator could be defective or not connected); the fan noise increases when in recirculating mode. The problem you describe normally happens to me in the dead of winter with all my cars when it's much colder and the snow from my boots carried into the vehicle melts and refreezes on the carpets and mats. Is the windshield clearing up when the vehicle is warmed up?

Another idea, check the cabin filter to see if it's wet; if so then rain is leaking down the cowl panel into the A/C & heater unit. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after my November trip to the dealer and the service department claiming I left a window open causing the moisture to freeze on the inside of my windshield I dealt with minimal issues with the car until about 2 weeks ago. We had several days of heavy rains prior to when I took the car back to the dealer. When I was cleaning up the car I noticed all my carpet mats in the car (not the car floor or the rubber mats on top but the middle layer of carpet mats) were all damp. Being that I am the only person in my car there was no reason for my backseat floors or passenger side floor to be damp. The only floor mats not damp were in the cargo area. There was even some moisture in the glove compartment on the folder I keep my insurance/owners card in. So back to the dealer I went and they found a leak which is now requiring the entire inner fender to be re-welded. The body shop was suppose to call me back with more details and status update but I haven't spoken with them yet. The car is not garage kept and is out in the elements and is brand new (2017.5 Murano bought in July 2017) with less than 3500 miles on it (and now 3 full weeks of being at the dealer and not driven) and has never smelled moldy/musty or off.

My question now is that since a leak was present in the car and I have been driving it since at least November 2017 like this (possibly longer since the problem didn't present until the weather got cold enough for frost), should I be concerned with more serious issues such as body rust/damage or electric issues? Is there anything I can do to check for this or have the dealer check? What are my options so I can head off any issues now and not later when I may be out of warranty?

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
One bad weld isn't an indication of general faults in the car. I don't think there's any reason to suspect a bigger problem, because this seems to explain the problem you described. I encourage you to remain calm about that.

That said, once I got it home I'd run an extension cord out to it and run a dehumidifier inside it for a couple-three days until it didn't draw any more moisture. You want to get everything possible out of those carpets and mats. Once I did that, I'd watch for evidence of any more leaks. Chances are you won't have any.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hope you're not using 2 sets of floor mats at the same time. Bare carpet floor , then carpet floor mats, then rubber floor mats.
Not saying you are, just can't tell from your posts.
If you are I would say just use rubber mats in winter and carpet mats in summer. Dangerous to use 2 sets of mats at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2017 .5 Murano SL which I love. I purchased the car in July and I live in Pennsylvania. The last few weeks we've gotten progressively colder weather with frost in the mornings. I have noticed on more than one occasion that my car windshield on the INSIDE completely fogs or frosts over. The other day the entire windshield inside was covered from top to bottom, left to right, and the frost was as thick as the frost on the outside of the car. My car is currently sitting at the dealer since Wednesday and the dealer says that they cannot find anything wrong with the car. I did my due diligence before taking it to the dealer. I stored nothing that's wet in the car, I have rubber floor mats, nothing leaks when it rains, I don't hear any whistling of air while driving, I checked all the carpeted floor mats and nothing is wet. I've tried changing the vent setting to outside air as well as inside air but there's been no change. I cracked my driver window when it sits out in the sun all day long but that doesn't seem to help. The dealer mention that they checked the air conditioning drain to make sure nothing is clogged, as well as the window seals. They plan to keep the car at least over the weekend to see if they can find out anything else. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this being that it is literally a brand new vehicle, with less than 2000 miles on it. I've had no issues with even fogged-up windows before in this car, it's only happened in the last month or so as the days have gotten colder. I do understand that a lot of it is the condensation from people being in the car and then sitting out in the warm sun and in the cold air at night but I don't believe that this should be happening to a brand new car. No other windows in the vehicle have this issue, only the front windshield.

Is there anything else that I can do either on my end or mention to the dealer to have checked?
Did they ever figure out what caused the problem with your Murano? I have the exact same problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Did they ever figure out what caused the problem with your Murano? I have the exact same problem.
Assuming they may not respond, a few thoughts:

1) Using your AC, especially with the air on recycle, will pull moisture from the interior. That's why the AC cycles on and off on defrost, as it reduces the moisture fogging up your windshield.
2) Moisture is getting in somewhere. You might try moving around the interior and checking carpets while having someone use a hose on the exterior, section by section. Don't forget the sunroof if you have one. Water moves downwards, so there's a good chance you will feet wet carpet in the area where any leak is.
3) All of the responses to the original post are relevant, so consider their suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming they may not respond, a few thoughts:

1) Using your AC, especially with the air on recycle, will pull moisture from the interior. That's why the AC cycles on and off on defrost, as it reduces the moisture fogging up your windshield.
2) Moisture is getting in somewhere. You might try moving around the interior and checking carpets while having someone use a hose on the exterior, section by section. Don't forget the sunroof if you have one. Water moves downwards, so there's a good chance you will feet wet carpet in the area where any leak is.
3) All of the responses to the original post are relevant, so consider their suggestions.
All of those things have been checked.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Simply stated, you have moisture coming in from somewhere. I had this problem with my 2016 from the moment I took delivery in 2019 as a CPO. It had a slight stale odor periodically and that was curable. I mentioned it to the dealer but since it was so slight they didn't pursue it. The car was always garaged and its not driven a ton of miles. Flash forward and I'm in Florida now. Same occasional stale odor BUT when we have a lot of rain I have found water leaking in first at the right A pillar, then the left at the left C pillar. The C pillar leak was a lot that I finally noticed wet floor. I've had it torn apart, drains cleaned and everything checked. Was told sunroof was normal (in that water comes in and drains out). Leaking isn't normal. After I got the car back the final time at the next rain torrent it leaks on the right rear.

First, I suspect it was always leaking but the Florida rain really inundated the vehicle to the point of finally being noticeable. Second, I think its a design flaw with the sunroof. Third, I had enough and traded it for a 2020 without a sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love driving it, but I have thought about trading it for another make. It just that I paid a lot for this vehicle. It's a 2016 and I've only put about 23,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Do you smell antifreeze or a sweetish scent? One thing that will fog the glass quickly regardless of AC engagement is a leaking heater core. This often can be detected by the smell of antifreeze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts