Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to believe Nissan put such a dysfunctional wiper system in a 2003 car. In my 45 years of driving, this is the worst. Recently I've been in two snowstorms, lots of salt spray, slush, sand, etc. The wipers were constantly getting frozen and clearing little patches of the windshield, the washers aim too low and have a meager squirt, I couldn't clear the ice and snow off the wipers because they don't lift off the glass without cutting the engine with the wipers in the vertical position, etc., etc. Arrgh!! M-o has all sorts of safety features, except you can't see out of the windshield.

·
5,268 Posts
Common sense is more and more difficult to find..............:mad:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I found winter wipers to be the solution to what you're complaining about.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I will say this...

No MO owner can disagree that the way to change the wipers is whacky. Cut the engine power while the wipers are up? That's lame.

Secondly, in all the vehicles I've ever owned I've never had to buy "winter wipers". The stock factory wipers or regular replacement wipers did not freeze like the MO's do.

Thirdly, also in all the other vehicles I've owned I have never had my washer nozzles freeze up. This MAY be the fault of my washer fluid... in past vehicles, I've always changed my own fluid. With the MO, I let the dealership do it when it comes in for scheduled maintenance and fluid checks. Still, the dealership should be putting "proper" fluid in, and obviously they're using the stuff that freeze.

Overall, the wiper setup is wonky at best. Thankfully most of it can be "fixed" by buying your own hardware and fluid.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Same complaints here about the wipers. On my MO its only the drivers side that doesn't clear well. So if I need to see where I'm going, which isn't too often I can just look out the passenger's half of the windschield. :p

What was Nissan thinking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove a Murano AWD SL w/touring yesterday and came away with some concerns.

First, although the car sounded 'tight' for a new car, I heard enough road & wind noise that it made wonder just how the car would hold up even in the short term, say after a year or so or with 20K miles.

Second, I noticed how low on the windshield and how little liquid the windshield washer sprayed. Since I live here in the NYC/NJ area, I drive enough on snowy days and on roads that are full of slush that not having the washer spray a broad and strong stream of cleaner liquid to be enable the wipers clean the windshield clean is a major concern.

For those of you who drive in snow & roads with slush, how much of a problem has the windshield washer been?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Northeast Pa and the first thing I did was get rid of those silly stock wipers. I replaced them with Trico winter blades 26" and 18" up front. They work great. As for the fluid it takes some time to get used to but after a few uses you will figure out when too time the spray. LOL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was having the same problems with my windshield spray not spraying well enough until my windshield washer fluid empty sign turned on and I replaced the fluid. Now there's actually a spray!!!

I think it's the windshield washer fluid the dealer uses that sucks. It freezes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have absolutely no problems with the wiper fluid getting up high enough or the wipers being streaky or not cleaning completely and believe me, we've had some really crappy wet weather here in Wisconsin in January/February so far. I'm on my third fill of windshield wiper fluid already!

I still have the factory wipers still on (13,xxx miles) but I did coat the exterior glass on the Murano with the Klasse All In One Sealer when I first bought it.

I think the stuff is fantastic and it definitely seems to fill in the surface in the glass so that it's much smoother to the touch, probably for the wiper blades too.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My '04 wipers work well...keep washer resovoir full with -40 rated fluid....rear wiper sucks...ice and snow buildup on blade result in poor clearing...like most rear wipers, not near enough spring tension to hold wiper blade on window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts