Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Brother, I did not realize what a pain those "below the hood level" wipers were until I had to free them from frozen ice/snow ! Not being able to work around them during the "wash" phase was bad enough but........ ! Anyone know if a design change might be in the works in the future ?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Dont think so...

Even gripperDon who has an 05, still have the same design.
I guess, the fix will be done on the all new model, around 2008?

Now, you ever wish to get that lexus RX instead? :2:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
NO!

I don't like the LEXUS price or much about the interior. Bad seating. (I know I butted in, as you know I don't have much self control)

As a way of fitting in the thread, here is some of the stuff about bladeless wipers

Acura’s wiperless screen

WINDSCREEN wipers could be a thing of the past when Japan’s latest SUV model reaches the production line.

The RD-X concept launched by Acura, Honda’s upmarket brand, replaces wipers with two powerful air vents mounted at each end of the windshield.

‘When it rains, the force of air from the vents simply blows away the droplets,’ said American Honda executive vice president Tom Elliott. ‘The RD-X will be built next year, but I don’t know if it will have a wiperless screen. It’s common practice to take a few liberties with concepts.’

·
Registered
118 Posts
These wipers are terrible. I had to pull off the road several times to clear them. Not something you want to do in heavy traffic during a snow storm! About an inch below the wiper arm, the cowl turns a right angle and forms a wall that holds the snow. There is no place for the snow to go so it packs solid, interferes with the wiper arm and packs into the wiper blade.

I'm not sure if the wiper arms are mounted on a splined shaft like the usual American car setup, but if they are, I was thinking about moving the arm up one spline. That way the blade would sit a few inches higher on the windshield and there would be a little more room between the arm and the verticle part of the cowl. Unlike American car wiper arms which are fastened to the shaft with a simple clip, the arms on the MO are fastened with a nut and there is no mechanism to take the tension off the arm while it is removed. That leads me to think that they might not remove easily or have any provision for alternate placement, but it's worth a try. If I get around to it I'll let you know how it turned out.

If someone has a manual, please let me know if this looks possible or if there is any other adjustment built into the mechanism.

JeffC

·
4,994 Posts
That a cool Idea i'll check it out.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like JeffC's idea, hope your research bears fruit ! In the meantime, those ##$%%%^^&&**@@ wipers continue to defy cleaning in our current environment of melting daytime temps vs below freezing nightimes equaling "the scraper" every morning !

·
Registered
43 Posts
These wipers are terrible. I had to pull off the road several times to clear them. Not something you want to do in heavy traffic during a snow storm! About an inch below the wiper arm, the cowl turns a right angle and forms a wall that holds the snow. There is no place for the snow to go so it packs solid, interferes with the wiper arm and packs into the wiper blade.

You should invest in a pair of winter blades, this is what they are designed to do. Believe me, any car without 'em will have this problem in a snow storm, I have them and I haven't experienced any trouble. Since the first time I bought 'em , every winter I put them on my vehicle, and never have to worry.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe you that winter wipers are better and I'll probably get some. Unfortunately, they won't solve the fact that snow packs into the cowl area below the blade and arm and interferes with movement of the assembly at the bottom of its sweep.

FYI, I tried to remove the arm and reposition it higher on the windshield. I don't think it can be removed without a gear puller, and I didn't want to try that without first consulting the manual. If I get one someday I'll reconsider the project.

JeffC

·
4,994 Posts
I assume the heated blades didn't interest you, that and remote start with the heat set to defrost would be a "One Reel Wonder" :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
GripperDon said:
I assume the heated blades didn't interest you, that and remote start with the heat set to defrost would be a "One Reel Wonder" :D
I was actually talking about heated blades to my girlfriend the other day as I stuck my hand out and knocked ice off the blade every 5 minutes.

Do they actually make these? Where do you find them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
mordel said:

I was actually talking about heated blades to my girlfriend the other day as I stuck my hand out and knocked ice off the blade every 5 minutes.

Do they actually make these? Where do you find them?

Quick search of the web brought up a couple of interesting sites:
http://www.everblades.com/pages/3/index.htm

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/02october/rostra_wiper_blades.asp

http://www.heatmaxpro.com/index.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/61049910TRTKqI

Hope that helps

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those would be great as standard equipment here in the frozen north. Saw these in a Hyundai Tucson displayed at the auto show last night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm convinced that the person who designed the front wiper/washer configuration (including mechanics, fashion design, and placement) was either:

a. on drugs
b. lives in Jamaica (and I don't mean Jamaica, NY)
c. all of the above

Why "A"?
Because the wiper system doesn't clean very well; the wipers pack snow and ice into that hideaway cave; that snow/ice build-up then blocks the washers and renders them useless; the top center of the windshield re-freezes constantly because the wipers don't wipe there correctly - and the front defrosters aren't strong enough to handle that large a windshield.

Why "B"?
Because it don't snow in Jamaica, man.

Why "C"?
Why not?

Can you tell it snowed again today?

LOL

I feel much better now. :32:

·
4,994 Posts
C. Might be nice. GRIP :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts