Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to be a really stupid question to most of you (and yes I am blonde) but here goes. I drive quite a bit in the winter and in every car I've ever had I have always put my car in low gear when it is really icy. It kept the car slow and I didn't have to use my brake much. My Murano doesnt have a low gear. It only has "D" (drive) but over on the side it has these other types of gears with a + and - sign. Is that what I would use to gear down? How do you use that?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You move the shift lever to the right, then push forward or backward to change the gear to one of six preprogrammed gears. The gear selected (1 - 6) is displayed on the dashboard where normally you see displayed "D", "R", or "P".

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
For winter driving I would suggest using a HIGHER gear for starting from a stop when icy. I always did that in my manual tranny cars. Starting in first gear tends to spin the wheels easier, starting in second drops the power (torque) so you can have a smoother start.

Not sure about the SE "manual mode" though. Can you put it in 2nd when stopped, or does it force you into 1st?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still not clear on this. So when I want to slow down do I put the transmission over to the other side where the + and - sign are and put it in 6 or in 1 or somewhere in between. Can I do this on the fly or do I have to be stopped? I'm looking for the same effect I would get in a car that has "D" "L" "L1". Each time i want to go slower in a regular car with a regular transmission I shift from "D" to "L" to "L1"

·
4,601 Posts
For icy conditions, I'd leave it in D and press the AWD switch.

The danger with having too much engine braking with FWD is the back end could try to pass you. Your VDC will help with this.

When you get a chance, you really should find a big empty parking lot when it's really slippery out and try a few things so you can get used to it, and also find out what you're most comfortable with.

The Murano naturally has more engine braking than a conventional automatic, so you're already ahead in that area. If you just lightly but quickly, tap the brakes, you get even more.

Of course, at low speeds the torque converter clutch releases, so you lose the engine braking effect, to a high degree.

I drove my Murano on sheer ice, past 4WD's, AWD's, you name it. They were all sitting waiting for the ice to melt on some side roads north of Milton, yet the Murano's traction was very good. I babied the gas, ensured I made no rapid motions and drove out of a mess other people were stuck in.

Driver ability is a factor as well. If you really want to be prepared for winter, I very highly recommend taking a skid school course for a day. It will teach you new driving skills and improve your confidence in bad weather, which will help you relax and react, instead of being terrified in a bad situation.

There's one in Oakville on Bronte Rd.

Oh, and it's a lot of fun too!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I babied the gas, ensured I made no rapid motions and drove out of a mess other people were stuck in.
That's pretty much how I got around the last couple of winters. And in this area, we don't have much snow.

We tend to have ice storms.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would not use low gear in the Murano on ice. The advice the other posts have made - to use D, is sound. I would leave it in D, but unless you have unplowed roads, not turn on AWD lock. Some people have experienced transfer case damage using AWD lock on anything but extremely slippery driving.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
with the shiftronic transmission onthe murano your forced to stay in first when your stopped. it gears down by itself.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
To answer your question ella138 you would want a lower number. So use the "-" to obtain one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
nissanlove said:
with the shiftronic transmission onthe murano your forced to stay in first when your stopped. it gears down by itself.
Once you start moving in 1st gear you can select 2nd gear by pushing towards the + sign. Push again and you will be in 3rd gear, ....

·
4,601 Posts
In icy conditions you're better off letting the transmission do the shifting... Got the T shirt. Also, in icy conditions, AWD lock.

If it's bare to center bare on the roads, AWD off, but if it's all ice, better to use it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
jaak said:

I drove my Murano on sheer ice, past 4WD's, AWD's, you name it. They were all sitting waiting for the ice to melt on some side roads north of Milton, yet the Murano's traction was very good. I babied the gas, ensured I made no rapid motions and drove out of a mess other people were stuck in.

I echo jaak's comments. During one particlarly heavy snowfall last winter I was able to drive around all manner of vehicles stuck on an unplowed upgrade. Kept my speed low enough that the (old style) AWD did not unlock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By George I think I've got it!!!! Thanks for your help everyone. I will try that shiftronic thing on the weekend and see how it feels. I was always uncomfortable trying it because I really didn't know what it was.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I second Jaaks suggestion to find a big empty icy parking lot, and test how your Murano handles under stress.
I have accompanied drivers from UK and Australia on parking lot test drives, they both learned what they needed to survive on wiinter roads in a couple of hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts