Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little different take on the winter tire questions.
For all of you that removed the GY stock tires and replaced them with some sort of winter tire, whether it be pure snow tires, winter performance tires, etc., doesn't really matter for this. I am interested in moderate snow conditions, hilly terrrain.

Do they perform:
a) Slightly better than the stockers?
b) Moderately better?
c) Significantly better?

I still have the stockers, and am wondering how much better a winter type of tire performs. I have FWD, and am either considering keeping the MO and adding winter performance tires, such as the Dunlop W3's, or sell the MO and get a Subaru with AWD and call it good. I know the FWD MO with winter tires won't be as capable as the Subaru, but if it gets me where I need to go and back without to much of a fuss, I would rather keep the MO and be happy. :2:
Thanks. Maybe I can turn this into a poll? Rather not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5's preform significantly better. My experience is with really cold, lots of snow and ice, but not hilly terrain.

One of the biggest differences I noticed right away was with lateral traction. On the stock tires with AWD it was easy to get the back end to fish out making turns but with the winter tires I just can't get it to happen. I'm sure if I really pushed it I could but this is with "normal" driving. Of course stopping and starting are significantly better too, the anti-locks hardly kick in at all now.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sctb1 said:
The Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5's preform significantly better. My experience is with really cold, lots of snow and ice, but not hilly terrain.

sctb 1,
Thanks, yes it does help. Do the SJ5's have another name by chance? I searched the Dunlop Canadian website and didn't find it listed under any of their choices. They have many Grandtrek XXX's listed, but no SJ5.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Replaced GDY's with Yoko G52 a performance all season....the aggressive tread pattern provides moderate to significantly better snow traction....the tread compound is slightly softer the GDY's, so ice traction only slightly better...you can run them all year round...

·
Registered
30 Posts
beemer-biker said:

sctb 1,
Thanks, yes it does help. Do the SJ5's have another name by chance? I searched the Dunlop Canadian website and didn't find it listed under any of their choices. They have many Grandtrek XXX's listed, but no SJ5.
Thanks for the input.
There isn't another name that I know of and there is very little information on these tires. Dunlop doesn't have them on any website I could find. Most of my Google searches hit foreign language sites.

The tires are DOT approved and have the snowflake on mountain symbol. The sidewall is all black. The tread pattern is aggressive but provides a surprisingly smooth ride. I really like the tougher look they give the Murano.

Here are a few sites with pictures of the tire.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Dunlop&tiremodel=Grandtrek+SJ5+BSW
http://www.tireworks.ca/special/103004C.html
http://www.tiretrends.com/tire_info.php3?detailID=11857

The best price I found was from here.

http://www.talontire.com/cgi-bin/specials.cgi

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
In general, winter tires provide substantially improved snow and ice performance than all season tires, such as the stock GYs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put a set of 235/65TR-17 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on after-market 17" wheels for the winter this year. The OEM GYs were OK in the snow when they were new, but after 20K miles the tread was worn enough that I didn't want to take the risk.

These tires make a huge difference in braking capability, and greatly improved lateral and forward traction in snow. I live in the Sierras and see all kinds of snow conditions on mountain roads. Also outperform the OEMs on the dry freeway, maybe a bit more road noise, but not significant.

The Subaru wagon I replaced with the Mo is hard to beat for driving in the snow. But the AWD Mo holds its own in the snow, and has more guts, space, and style -- gos like crazy up a snowy hill. I would guess that the FWD Mo with good tires will perform pretty close to the AWD. Still makes for a good choice in my opinion.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
tahoe_MO

Do you by any chance have a tread picture or a web site I can look at? Thanks Grip :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure Grip,

I bought mine from tirerack.com. Lots of pics and info there, try this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ow&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=365HR7SCORISXL&

I went with 17" wheels to keep the tires narrow and provide more options for winter tires at reasonable cost. I ended up with AT Italia 5 Razze wheels from tirerack also, a good value -- total cost about $100 more than just 18" tires, and I can change wheels out quickly. I attached a pic from tirerack showing those weels on a Murano, not mine. About 3% under diameter, easy to live with for a few months each year (or even half the year in my case).

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
tahoe_MO,

I was on that site looking at rims and could only get the 18" for the Murano, how did you get it to show the17"s? That looks like a nice tire package you have, I assume there were no offset issues with the new rims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trev,

Same offset as OEM (30? I think), lose a little clearance on the brakes, but seems fine.

Yeh, as I remember the tirerack site is kind of goofy on that, you have to choose the winter tire and wheel package option on the first or second page when you put your vehicle in. Then you get an option of 17" or 18" setups.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
tahoe_MO

That tread pattern looks like it could be pretty quite and all those feather good for stopping. Do you think it would be good as the GDY's are for year around, not much Snow down here (never seen any) I go a lot by tread pattern for noise prediction personally. Grip :d

·
Registered
9 Posts
Grip,

I've found the noise to be about the same as the GYs, and a better overall performing tire, wet or dry conditions. They definitely stop good -- tread pattern and soft rubber compound. The soft rubber will probably wear fast, and I suspect negatively affect gas mileage. I suspect that there are better all-around tires for warm weather at similar prices.

I plan on keeping these for winter/spring season use only. I've got a few Ks left on the OEMs, then I'll be looking for an all-season performance tire for the original wheels for summer use. There is an all season Pirelli Scorpion that might be worth a look. I'm hoping some more options in OEM size will be available soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I put 17" rims on my Murano for this winter as well. I bought some 2004 350Z rims off eBay and Continental 4x4 Winter Contact tires from Tire Rack in 235/65/17. Brake clearance was not an issue, and the 35mm offset was equal to the factory rims. I figure with the lighter unsprung rolling weight, braking is probably improved slightly as well. They are a very quiet performance winter tire, and great but not excellent snow traction, still far better than OEM's. Handling is superb! You could easily run these year round, however, I do plan on buying new GDY's in the spring, since my old ones had 80,000 km on them and I still have my OEM rims to fill.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is the sales pitch on these really nice tires:

The 4x4 WinterContact is Continental's Light Truck/SUV Performance Winter tire designed to combine good snow and ice traction with “European” high-speed winter driving performance. The 4x4 WinterContact tire is for the drivers of performance sport utility vehicles who require winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads.

The 4x4 WinterContact tire molds an advanced silica tread compound into an asymmetric tread design that features broad, rounded outer shoulder blocks to enhance dry road handling performance. These features are combined with intermediate tread blocks separated by wide circumferential and lateral grooves to enhance wet road traction and hydroplaning resistance. The tread blocks also feature progressive sipes to provide the multiple biting edges necessary to enhance snow and ice traction without resorting to traditional metal studs.

Continental 4x4 WinterContact performance winter tires meet the industry’s severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.

·
4,601 Posts
Continental must have really improved things over the years... I used to have Conti's on my VW and I thought they were absolute garbage and actually dangerous. Now to be fair to Continental, that was over 20 years ago... But it was enough for me to swear I'd never buy their products again.

But one thing I've learned, reading through the comments here on tires, is brand and model don't necessarily mean much as the performance can change from size to size... Oh, that makes this so much easier!

But I'm still searching for comments on Toyos.... I may have to leave the site to find them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts