Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has been awhile since I've logged on, but I just wanted to share my verdict on the Nokians. And the verdict is a definite thumbs up. Much better than the stock Goodyears for the winter stuff, as should be expected -- they are after all dedicated winter rubber.

Yes, they were significantly more expensive than the Dunlop Grantreks (I won't go into my anti-Dunlop rant again), but they weren't really any more expensive than the other winter shoes that were available for our size (Blizzaks, Scorpions).

Size: 255/60R18

Yes, there's that whistle/whine at high speed when the roads are wet, but this is no different than any other winter shoe I've had previously.

They seem to be better than Michelin Alpins I've had in the past on other vehicles (though I haven't tried the re-designed/re-named X-Ice) -- same dry predictability but better snow/ice traction.

They also seem to be better than Blizzaks I've had previously -- same excellent traction but better dry predictability.

Unfortunately, the Ontario gov't still won't adopt wide-spread use of studs -- I can only imagine what that would do to their performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Nokian

Thanks for the info on the Nokians! I always use a true winter tire as i live in the mountains and travel 60K per year for business and can't have the weather slow me down. I am just finishing my second winter on the Dunlop Grantrek's you mention and i like them a lot. Great traction in all kinds of snow and slush. Noisy of course and like driving on marbles a bit on dry pavement but that is typical with agressive winter tires. I can't find your issue with the Dunlops on the site so could you give me a cole's note version. I will be buying new snowy's this fall and would like the input!
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bpederson

I had Dunlop Rovers on a former Pathfinder and stock Dunlop Grantreks on my most recent Pathfinder. Though I acknowledge that neither of them was a true winter tire, the level of performance I experienced, both in the snow AND dry led me to the undeniable conclusion that they were both terrible tires -- too quick to wear; like racing slicks in the snow; the Grantreks threw a belt after less than 40K kms; etc etc. Add to that my less-than-stellar experiences with Goodyear tires and, since Goodyear is Dunlop's parent, I feel safe in making the blanket statement that I will never voluntarily ride on Dunlops or Goodyears again.

Agreed that this is entirely a personal, subjective opinion.

For what it's worth, the Dunlop winter tires would have cost me about $190/tire. The Nokians cost me $270/tire, and I don't regret it for a second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Dunlop Tires

Thanks for input but i was wondering if i have the same Grandtreks as you used because you mention that yours were not really snow tires. I am using the Grantrek SJ5 which is a snow tire for sure. I believe there are quite a few versions of Grandtrek's that Dunlop makes.
Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Are you Hak's mounted to steel or aluminum's? What are you running with in the summer months?

thecanuck said:
Well, it has been awhile since I've logged on, but I just wanted to share my verdict on the Nokians. And the verdict is a definite thumbs up. Much better than the stock Goodyears for the winter stuff, as should be expected -- they are after all dedicated winter rubber.

Yes, they were significantly more expensive than the Dunlop Grantreks (I won't go into my anti-Dunlop rant again), but they weren't really any more expensive than the other winter shoes that were available for our size (Blizzaks, Scorpions).

Size: 255/60R18

Yes, there's that whistle/whine at high speed when the roads are wet, but this is no different than any other winter shoe I've had previously.

They seem to be better than Michelin Alpins I've had in the past on other vehicles (though I haven't tried the re-designed/re-named X-Ice) -- same dry predictability but better snow/ice traction.

They also seem to be better than Blizzaks I've had previously -- same excellent traction but better dry predictability.

Unfortunately, the Ontario gov't still won't adopt wide-spread use of studs -- I can only imagine what that would do to their performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Winter Tire Update -- Nokian Hakkapalitta SUV

ADV said:
Are you Hak's mounted to steel or aluminum's? What are you running with in the summer months?

I'm using the stock SL rims. When I first started on the whole snow tire quest, I obviously couldn't find any 18" steel winter rims. My dealer tried a set of 17" but told me they didn't clear the rotors/calipers. Notwithstanding that this dealer has treated me very well over the years, I've noticed that some of our colleagues on this site are in fact running 17" for the winter.

I'm debating these days on whether to exchange my 03 for an 06. Once that money issue resolves itself, I'll better be able to determine if I have the $$ to splurge for some aftermarket summer rims and keep the stocks for my Nokians.

For summer tires, my Eagles are almost dead and I can't decide on whether to go with the new Michelin Cross Terrains or try some Toyo Proxes S/T's @ 255/60R18 (same as the Nokians). Given the price difference between the Goodyears and the Michelins, which is almost nothing, I know for sure I will NOT be getting another set of Goodyears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dunlop Tires

Bpedersen said:
Thanks for input but i was wondering if i have the same Grandtreks as you used because you mention that yours were not really snow tires. I am using the Grantrek SJ5 which is a snow tire for sure. I believe there are quite a few versions of Grandtrek's that Dunlop makes.
Cheers
For sure you do NOT have the same Grandtreks that I ran. There are a few other owners on this site that have run the winter Grandtreks and they seem satisfied with the tire's performance. For me, I guess it's more a matter of brand satisfaction than my satisfaction with one specific tire -- a little gun shy, you might say. Dunlop has twice not impressed me; I'm not prepared to give them a third shot at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Have anybody tried NOKIAN WR All Weather ? They are all season and winter (with snowflake) at the same time. If they really work that would take care of swapping.

2006 Siver AWD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Besides the fact that they didn't make an 18" when I was looking, I didn't think these were really worth using. You have to think that winter grip has most likely been comprimised to give you summer performance. Maybe if your just thinking of replacing your OEMs for a no muss and fuss solution this may work. But if your looking for a true grip winter tire this is probably not the solution.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top