Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking delivery of a new 2015 Murano Platinum in Ontario Canada, with 20 inch wheels.
I believe they are 235/55R20 as per brochure.
I can't seem to find any brand name Snow/Winter Tires for this size.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Get a used set of used take-off 18s from the lower models an you will have plenty of less expensive choices ...plus it will save your 20s from the harshness of winter :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2's come in the 235/55/20 size for our Murano's. Cheapest place around the GTA for these is SimplyTire. I've purchased quite a few sets of tires from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer says 20 Inchers ONLY!

The dealer has indicated that ONLY 20 inchers can be installed on this vehicle. Am I being mislead?

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
I don't think so, unless the calipers are larger on the models with 20" wheels. That was not the case on the 1st and 2nd generation Muranos...but perhaps another member here has done it and can respond more accurately.

The things that matter, IIRC:

- Offset
- Clearance for calipers
- Inner and outer wheel well clearance
- Clearance for the strut/spring assembly

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer has indicated that ONLY 20 inchers can be installed on this vehicle. Am I being mislead?
That is completely false. sounds like the dealer is trying to just make extra cash from you.

There are a few Platinum owners in my area who run the stock 18's for winter. I myself have the 20's for the summer and the stock 18's for the winter. The calipers are the same with S/SV/SL and the Platinum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies.
I called around to different Nissan Service departments and they also confirmed that 20's are NOT required.
He was a young sales rep and probably didn't know better....but maybe should have.
Anyway, I'll shop around for some 18's with aluminum Alloy wheels. They'll be a heck of a lot cheaper than the 20's

Thanks again
Happy New Year!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Brad, I would go with the 18's. 20" tires will give you a much firmer ride! Ouch! :28:

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
I tend to agree. With as much ice and pothole driving as winter brings, a softer ride for snow tires is kind of nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had Toyo 17's installed by the dealer.....they are phenomenal. I really dont know why anyone would pay more for anything over 17"s when you can resize to them, I think that people are afraid they are going to look small on the car, and they don't. They look huge compared to the 20"s that I use in the summer. You don't need 18's or higher unless they are cheaper than the 17's - your MO isn't going to look any better, or ride any better.

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
I had Toyo 17's installed by the dealer.....they are phenomenal. I really dont know why anyone would pay more for anything over 17"s when you can resize to them, I think that people are afraid they are going to look small on the car, and they don't. They look huge compared to the 20"s that I use in the summer. You don't need 18's or higher unless they are cheaper than the 17's - your MO isn't going to look any better, or ride any better.
What size did you select in order to maintain accuracy of the speedometer?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What size did you select in order to maintain accuracy of the speedometer?
I've been using 235/70/17 for winter setup. The stock on SL is 235/65/18.

I agree with therealthing, the 17's look good enough. Probably not as good as 20's though :). I personally like the look of lower profile tires. Won't use them for winter setup though due to extra costs.

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
I've been using 235/70/17 for winter setup. The stock on SL is 235/65/18.
Wow, that's a perfect match! I can't find any Toyo tires in the sizes you mentioned online at Tire Rack, but the Firestone Destination LE 2 (a very common tire on the Murano) specs look excellent - both have a 30" diameter, the 17s turn 694 revolutions per mile, the 18s 693 revs per mile.

Nicely done!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, that's a perfect match! I can't find any Toyo tires in the sizes you mentioned online at Tire Rack, but the Firestone Destination LE 2 (a very common tire on the Murano) specs look excellent - both have a 30" diameter, the 17s turn 694 revolutions per mile, the 18s 693 revs per mile.

Nicely done!
Yup the same here. My co-workers SL at another dealer - he has the same tires offered and installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2015 platinum with 20 inch wheels and have 4 Hankook I-Pike RW-11 in 265/60-18 mounted on 2007 Murano 18 inch aluminum wheels No fitment problems and overall diameter is less than 1/4" different that the original equipment set up. Photo below of what wheels look like. Wish mine still looked that good LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just received my 2015 Platinum AWD.

I have Michelin X-Ice Latitude winter tires on our ML320, and LOVE those tires! I decided that I HAD to have winter tires on the Murano (I live in SE British Columbia = mountains and lots of snow) and planned to get the Michelin tires again. But the salesman talked me into a set of Toyo Observe GSI-6 235/65R18 tires for the Platinum.

So far (one short drive up my 8% grade snow covered driveway - hardly an exhaustive test! ;) ) - they are great!

The take away here is that they are indeed 18" tires/rims and I have the TPMS installed as well. Total price for tires, rims, TPMS, lock nuts, disposal fee (not-so-hidden extra government taxes, argh), mounted/balanced and installed came to $1776 CDN.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is what I've been quoted for a set of Bridgestone's...
BLIZZAK DMV2 235/65R18 PRICE WOULD BE $264.50 PER TIRE THATS WITH ENVIRO FEE
TPMS IS $120.00 PER TIRE

ALLOY RIMS ARE $230.00 PER RIM THESE ARE SIX SPOKE #AZZ855RHS
INSTALL AND BALLANCE WOULD BE $110.00 FOR FOUR TIRES AND RIMS PLUS TAXES
That $614.50 per tire with wheel BEFORE taxes.:eek:
Wholly &%$#@

·
Registered
220 Posts
TPMS IS $120.00 PER TIRE

Wholly &%$#@

For that price I could almost by a cheap winter beater with new snow tires. I wouldn't waste money on aluminum wheels, I'd just get cheap black steelies, just make sure they're actually round with no lateral runout before the tech mounts them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
TPMS IS $120.00 PER TIRE

Wholly &%$#@

Costco in Canada, where I bought my DMV2 was $199 per tire including install and balance and my local Nissan dealer has OEM TPMS set for $300.
So the only thing I was missing was OEM 18' rims (same rims as my car came with). I bought them locally from a guy who upgraded his 18' to aftermarket 20's. I bought them basically "new" for $440, since the guy just bought his Murano.

So total per tire and wheel came $400 - still a bit expensive, but my wife drives Murano everyday to work and snow weather just finally hit area where we live, so imho it is worth to have separate winter set for us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts