Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance to mount the winter tires on my 2019 Murano Sl AWD. Got a great deal on 18" Cooper Evolution winter tires on Amazon a few months back (99 dollars)
Bought spoke wheels from discount tire direct (they are called Wynter wheels) at a 100 dollars a pop. Cheapest steel wheels i could find were about 70 dollar apiece so i bit the bullet and got the Wynter spokes. Set of 4 TPMS sensors from tire rack at 28 dollars apiece. Did the complete install myself. No fuss with the TPMS sensors, the computer picked them up right away and is registering all four wheels. The 2019 comes with 20 inch wheels, opted for the 18 inch wheels and Zero plus tires for the winter setup . Just waiting for the snow and ice to start.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got a chance to mount the winter tires on my 2019 Murano Sl AWD. Got a great deal on 18" Cooper Evolution winter tires on Amazon a few months back (99 dollars)
Bought spoke wheels from discount tire direct (they are called Wynter wheels) at a 100 dollars a pop. Cheapest steel wheels i could find were about 70 dollar apiece so i bit the bullet and got the Wynter spokes. Set of 4 TPMS sensors from tire rack at 28 dollars apiece. Did the complete install myself. No fuss with the TPMS sensors, the computer picked them up right away and is registering all four wheels. The 2019 comes with 20 inch wheels, opted for the 18 inch wheels and Zero plus tires for the winter setup . Just waiting for the snow and ice to start.
Lets not rush the snow, lol It's good to be prepared at the right time. Mine are scheduled to be swapped on the week of 11/10. When I had 2010 Murano with 20in wheels, I downsized them to 18in also. The 2016 I have now has 18 so my existing snows will be fine. I was lucky to fine some older Murano 18inch wheels just before last winter so I use them as my winter wheels. I skipped the TPMS sensors and won't get them for this model either. The light being on doesn't bother me. I just check pressure periodically. Happy winter motoring.....

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
I put my snows/wheels on my Jeep Grand Cherokee two weeks ago and it was just in time here in Fort Collins Colorado. We've had snow three times and temps as low as 7 degrees overnight.

I was planning to wait until next weekend, but I'm glad I got it done early. Still need to install the winter wheels/tires on my BMW Sportwagon, but the Jeep came first. (Incidentally, I found that the wheels from an E36 will fit on my E90, which may be helpful to a few other BMW owners who also have Muranos and hang out here.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I put my snows/wheels on my Jeep Grand Cherokee two weeks ago and it was just in time here in Fort Collins Colorado. We've had snow three times and temps as low as 7 degrees overnight.

I was planning to wait until next weekend, but I'm glad I got it done early. Still need to install the winter wheels/tires on my BMW Sportwagon, but the Jeep came first. (Incidentally, I found that the wheels from an E36 will fit on my E90, which may be helpful to a few other BMW owners who also have Muranos and hang out here.)
yikes! snow already, but I guess that's about normal for Colorado. Ours (upstate NY) should be within the few weeks, soon enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got a taste of that in upstate NY too. Ugh!
Michael, I see you got the snow in the first part of this week also! I hope this isnt the start of a longer than normal winter.

This year I'm trying the "all weather" Toyo Celsius tires some have mentioned. Hopefully it saves me the headache of changing to snows or trying to drive with all seasons.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Michael, I see you got the snow in the first part of this week also! I hope this isnt the start of a longer than normal winter.

This year I'm trying the "all weather" Toyo Celsius tires some have mentioned. Hopefully it saves me the headache of changing to snows or trying to drive with all seasons.
I hope not too, I especially hope it's not an indicator of a colder than normal winter. I'm curious to know how those tires compare vs dedicated snows

·
Registered
77 Posts
I sold the oem tires on my Murano when I bought it new March 20, 2017. Still have them on. They work great in snowy, icy, cold Alberta. Not quite as good a running dedicated snows for 6 months but I like the no hassle aspect of not having to change them out every 6 months. Goodyear has an all weather tire now that is Murano size too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just installed the Blizzak winters this week, third winter we have had them. Not much actual winter driving on them as we live in the Hawaii of Canada. Only driven about 6000 miles over the past 2 winters. They are noisy and wander a bit compared to the stock Continentals.but not wanting to risk having my wife encounter ugly weather while driving on the all seasons.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Just installed the Blizzak winters this week, third winter we have had them. Not much actual winter driving on them as we live in the Hawaii of Canada. Only driven about 6000 miles over the past 2 winters. They are noisy and wander a bit compared to the stock Continentals.but not wanting to risk having my wife encounter ugly weather while driving on the all seasons.
Blizzaks are excellent. There are a number of different Blizzak models, but they are great in snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I sold the oem tires on my Murano when I bought it new March 20, 2017. Still have them on. They work great in snowy, icy, cold Alberta. Not quite as good a running dedicated snows for 6 months but I like the no hassle aspect of not having to change them out every 6 months. Goodyear has an all weather tire now that is Murano size too.
Toyo Celsius also has an "all weather" tire that fits the murano.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I sold the oem tires on my Murano when I bought it new March 20, 2017.
Bought Toyo Celcius as they are all weather. No need to change out twice a year. Way better than all-seasons.
Still have them on. They work great in snowy, icy, cold Alberta. Not quite as good a running dedicated snows for 6 months but I like the no hassle aspect of not having to change them out every 6 months.
Goodyear has an all weather tire now that is Murano size too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Blizzaks are excellent. There are a number of different Blizzak models, but they are great in snow.
I run Blizzak DM-V1 and I find them not much noisier than the stock Continental, just a different noise/frequency; I had them on my 2014 and since I don't drive much anymore so plenty of tread left. The DM-V2 is the newer version with improved grip/slightly different tread and possibly a little noisier I'm not sure. They are coming out with the DM-V3 as it's been announced in other countries, I guess we'll see it next year. If I was buying winter tires today, I would probably go for Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 as what they give up in deep snow they regain on clear roads and they are quieter, closer to an all season.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I came across this video:

All weather tires would fall somewhere in between all season and Winter. I've seen this video before as this guy hosts a car show on a Canadian TV channel called Driving Television. I watch it every Saturday morning! I also watch Motorweek on PBS and a couple more local Canadian shows.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
All season tires are NOT snow tires, nor are they as effective in snow and ice. One reason is that snow tires have a different rubber formulation that doesn't get as hard at low temperatures. All season tires would wear out too fast if they had that rubber compound. Snow tires also have a more aggressive tread design.

If you are serious about winter driving in all conditions, you need dedicated snow tires. If you park it when there's more than a couple of inches of snow, you can get by with all-season tiers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
All season tires are NOT snow tires, nor are they as effective in snow and ice. One reason is that snow tires have a different rubber formulation that doesn't get as hard at low temperatures. All season tires would wear out too fast if they had that rubber compound. Snow tires also have a more aggressive tread design.

If you are serious about winter driving in all conditions, you need dedicated snow tires. If you park it when there's more than a couple of inches of snow, you can get by with all-season tiers.
I came across this video:

good video proving the point that Winter tires are safest for winter driving.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Agreed. And the All Weather tires, while better than All Season, are not as good as Winter Tires. I get that ones decision to go with dedicated winter tires are predicated on several factors, not the least of which is financial, but they are the safest way to go. Personally, I wouldn't do without them and don't find any hassle having someone change the tires for me twice a years for the cost of a tire rotation. (I am not doing it myself, if you can then you save the $). Some tires places and dealers will even store the tires for you at no cost.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I like to use this analogy. You can get by with sneakers all year in many areas but not in the snow belt area!
Summer tires = dress shoes
All season tires = sneakers
All weather tires = hiking boots
Winter tires = (you guessed it) Winter boots

1 - 20 of 20 Posts