Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

I know there's at least one other thread somewhere talking about winter tires but not much about "comparisons," so to speak.

In the other thread, one of my fellow northerners appears to be very happy with his Dunlop winter tires, but I want to avoid Dunlop at all costs for two reasons:

First, I've had two sets of Dunlops previously on my earlier Pathfinders -- one set of Rovers and one set of Grandtreks. Granted, they weren't winter tires so I won't speak to their abilities in the snow/ice, but their build quality and treadlife were terrible !!

Second, as most may or may not know, Dunlop is now just another subsidiary of Goodyear. I don't know how long this relationship has existed. Having said that, as most may or may not also know, Goodyear is the only major tire manufacturer that does NOT offer any sort of road hazard warranty with their products, and I'm assuming this has carried over to Dunlop now. IMHO, if a tire manufacturer refuses to back their products, it raises numerous red flags for me. This is especially so given the fact that all the other major manufacturers {Michelin/BFG/Uniroyal, Bridge/Firestone and others (?)} offer a warranty of this type to some extent.

I've read the winter tire side-by-side report on tirerack.com. Yes, the Blizzak performed exceptionally better on the ice rink but as they said at tirerack, who drives on an ice rink? So, that resulted in the Arctic Alpin being the better choice, as it performed much better under "real world" testing.

I've driven with and/or owned both the Blizzaks and the Alpins. They're both good, but I've seen an awful lot of people on here referring to the Nokian winter tires. Just how good are these? Are they that much better than either the Blizzaks or the Alpins, especially considering their relatively high price?! I've searched the net and there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of real world tests or reviews. I know some people here have decided to run the 235/60's from Nokian but I'm going to wait another year and hope our exact size is offered somewhere other than Dunlop. Until then, I'm doing my homework and am hoping some of you can share your experiences -- good, bad or ugly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:(

C'mon guys/gals. Anybody? (Beuller? Beuller?)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts