Nissan Murano Forum banner

Winter Travel

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  lm959 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am making a trip down to Southern California in a couple of weeks from Vancouver, BC. I have looked at the other posts regarding snow chains and have done a lot of research over the past week or so to find out what chains will work and if one or two sets are necessary.

I will be traveling I-5 most of the way and understand that the stretch known as Siskiyou Pass south of Ashland, OR has frequent conditional road closures requiring chain use. If any of you could offer any advice on I-5 winter conditions in Washington & Oregon, recommendations on chains (I have stock 235/65 R18), and clear up the confusion on how many sets of chains should be used on an AWD MO. Common sense tells me two sets but the owner manual says one set on the front and others have mentioned the same???

Sorry for the long post.:)

'04 SE AWD

#2 ·
No need to worry about I-5 in Washington. No major passes that you're going over. There are a couple of places with high elevation, but they are usually not nearly bad enough to require chains. You should always carry chains in your vehicle during the winter just in case, of course. Never know when that "big storm" will hit.

That is, as long as you stay on I-5...

Oregon is the one you might have to worry about, but since it's been a long time since I was down there I'll have to let someone else answer for that part of the world.

Good luck on your "migrating south for the winter" trip!

Oh, and here's a tip:
Every year, during a nice day in your driveway, put chains on your vehicle. Just so that you know how to do it easily and to make sure you have all the parts. Then take them off and store them someplace in your vehicle that is easy to get to no matter what you have packed (like the floor of the back seat). Nothing ruins your day faster than needing chains, unloading your entire trunk just to get them, having to figure out how they work, all while in a freezing blizzard.

Sure, it means that they are opened so you can't take them back to get a refund in the spring, but why would you want to anyway? You'll just have to buy them again next year...

#3 ·
When Siskyou Pas is bad, they close it. If you are on the stock tires, better have chains. The law in Oregon says AWD/4WD don't need them if vehicle is equipped with traction (read Snow with the snowflake mark) tires, but it is the law that they must be carried in the vehicle. The security (S class) chains are the only ones that will fit. Use on front wheels only.
It is advisable to check weather forecasts and particularly the ODOT road reports.

#4 ·
Thanks for the information Corin and ekaxel. I have one follow up for you ebaxel. I have been looking into the Security chains, and turns out that there are numerous models that will fit the Murano (i.e. Super-Z LT, New 2004 Z-Chain, Super Z6, Whitestar, etc.) Have you actually purchased Security chains and if so what style and model number? I actually called Security this afternoon and their rep recommended to me the New 2004 Z-Chain model number Z-571. Unfortuately I can't find a vendor that can get them up her in BC, which is crazy to me. Looks like I will have to buy them in Washington or Oregon on my way down to CA. Do you have any recommendations for a good place to buy Security chains in Portland?

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.