Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. it seems that someone at Nissan was sleeping on the job..

I bought my MO last Jan, and when I asked about winter wipers, then said, that did not have any (since the model was very new then) so I was content with their response.. after going by this morning, again trying to get winter wipers.. guess what.. according to the parts guy (and I hope it's just him being mis informed) Nissan does not make any 26" winter wipers..

now.. going back to Canadian tire.. guess what.. 26" is not a standard size (as well they don't have any 19" as well)

WTF?? was everyone sleeping on the job when they designed the wipers for this vehicle.. this is bordering on ridiculous..

·
101 Posts
The wiper system on the MO does look like an afterthought. It is not well-designed at all, which is a shame considering the rather forward-thinking design direction of the vehicle.

That 26" wiper (WOW, now that's a BIG wiper) looks like something off a bus or truck. And then they team it with that teenie, tiny passenger side wiper. It's comical to watch the wipers at work.

Can you imagine going into a auto supply shop and asking for a 26" and 12" (if that's the size of the smaller one) set of wiper blades? That'll get a laugh. A few inches difference I have seen before on other cars, but one blade twice as long as the other?

Don't even get me started on the fact that you cannot lift the wiper arms to clean under the blades. How are you supposed to free them if they're stuck to the windshield with ice or clear the snow/ice build-up behind them? If you try to lift them, they'll nick the paint off the hood cowling.

The designers probably live well south of the snow belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree about the wipers.......very poorly designed. I also think the fluid nozzles are in a terrible spot. Because they are recessed in the hood it's almost impossible to clear the snow out from in front of them. Other than that I love my Murano! :2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nissan winter wipers for MO

I have installed winter wipers on the MO last december. Indeed, there are no 26 and 19 inches wipers on the market, but it is common to put shorter wipers during winter to increase the relative force of the blade on the windshield. So I purchased 24 and 18 inches teflon wipers from Canadian Tire. Worked fine with rain, I mean heavy rain and snow, however under little rain and almost dry windshield, the wipers would jam in the middle of their path and/or move very slowly. I thought of a problem with the wiper motor or mechanism and brought the MO to the dealer. They have found that the tensors of the teflon wipers were too soft for the tension exerted by the MO wipers and that it would tilt on the side offering a large friction area offering too much strain for the wiper motor. They said installing Nissan winter wiper would solve the problem. I had not even tried to get Nissan wipers because 1) I thought they were not available from some post in this forum and 2) that Nissan's would be excessively expensive. Well, Nissan considers that 24 and 18 inches are the appropriate winter wipers for the MO and they offer them as Nissan OEM at a price lower than Can Tire teflons. I have had no problem with the wiper system since and we have had the worst conditions this winter; rain, freezing rain, heavy snow and -30 degrees.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I went for winter blades a few months ago. I had to order the 26" from a local auto parts store. When the guy looked up the price, he was shocked: it was the most expensive blade he had ever sold. He said the 19" was the most common size, and it came in at $9Can. The 26" was $40Can!!! I really like the winter blades though, no more stopping to unjam the hinges!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Bought a 24" in GI Joes (Pacific NW) for $8.98. Worked fine. Used one of the 18s I had left over from my Trooper for the right side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kevin150 said:
I agree about the wipers.......very poorly designed. I also think the fluid nozzles are in a terrible spot. Because they are recessed in the hood it's almost impossible to clear the snow out from in front of them. Other than that I love my Murano! :2:
In addition to the nozzles being difficult to clear they are also poor performers. While standing still they make a nice pretty distribution of WWF on the windsheild but soon as you are at hwy speed they really suck. I commute and during the winter I use the nozzles all the time and the best I can get on the hwy is a small pool of fluid at the bottom of the windshield for the wipers to push up. Pathetic!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The nozzles work much better if you have a bug deflector. Helps at all speeds (except 0 of course).

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree the windwhield sprayers are really pathetic.. I managed to get the dealer to adjust them last time I was in, (aim them a bit higher for highway speeds) but they still don't perform anywhere near satisfactory..

·
59 Posts
I have some news for you. Per the factory service manual, the front windshield washer nozzles are NOT adjustable, they are fixed. In fact, there is a warning NOT TO TRY ADJUSTING THEM, or they will be damaged. So, it seems we are all stuck with nozzles that spray too low on the windshield.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... wether the service manual says they are or not.. the deal DID adjust them (they now spray higher. about 6"8 higher at highway speeds and about 10" 12" at idle)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Is This The Norm?

The wiper on the right (passenger) side, misses the top 1/3 of the wipe zone. Is there a way to put more tension on the wiper? It's not really noticeable in the rain, but man does it look ugly with all the salt and crap we're dealing with these days.:confused:

·
59 Posts
Darrylburke, I would be interested in knowing how your dealer adjusted the washer nozzles. In most cars, there is a small steel ball in the plastic housing that can be adjusted with a needle or pin. In the Murano, the plastic housing just has a slot cut in it. Do you think that they enlarged the slot? Any way you could find out? If there is a solution, I would sure like to know.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can take a look when I go our for lunch and let you know.. it could be that they used a slightly "larger" pin (type) to make the hole a bit bigger.. I'll let you know..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gang

As stated above, there ARE genuine winter wipers available in our size. They're from Tridon/Trico, and yes, they're expensive. However, they're Teflon and for the Canadians here, a MUCH better compound than those from Crappy Tire.

FYI, I emailed Trico awhile ago asking about a specific wiper (Aerofoil) for the MO. They replied -- no luck, but they did offer to send me a set of summer Tridon Teflon wipers ......... for FREE. And they're much better than the Nissan wipers. So good, I picked up a set for my wife's Frontier (had to pay for those, though).

Price notwithstanding, I highly recommend these wipers, either summer or winter models.

·
59 Posts
No need to agonize over where to get the blades and how much they cost. Wal-mart has the answer for $12/pair. I posted this a while back under another thread called "wiper blades warning"

Since my MO is parked outside overnite, I firmly believe in Winter Wipers for the ice and snow. I just put on a pair of Anco's. I used an 18" on the passenger side and 24" on the driver's side. Specs call for 19" and 26", but these were the closest sizes available from Anco. They seem to work and fit pretty well. Best part is you can get them at Wal-Mart for about $6.00 each!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts