Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2016 SL with the OEM all season Continental CrossContact LX Sport 235/65R18's. Just curious if anyone in Canada or the northern states are using these all year around or should I be looking for a set of winters?

Read this review on Continental's page...
Not enough winter traction to make it a premium all season tire. These tires get too hard in the winter, and lose traction,, as well as pick up road shrapnel in the tread, which of course causes tire leaks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
All-seasons tires are a compromise... For snow and ice, especially at sub-zero temps, it's best to have snow and ice winter tires if you want the best performance during the winter months. They will perform much better on ice and in deeper snow than any all-season tire.

Reactions: Ninja

·
Registered
94 Posts
You might get better advice if we knew where you live. I'm in Alberta. Got rid of those terrible continentals within a couple of weeks of buying my 2017 SL. Have been using all weather (not all season). They work great as you can leave them on 365 days and no need to change out every 6 months. Used Toyo Celcius for 3+ years. Excellent tires. Now on Goodyear Assurance. They seem to be even better. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have been a dedicated winter tire guy for many years. Not only is winter traction substantially enhanced, having a 2nd set of rims saves your nice OEM rims from the ravages of salt and winter hazards.

Reactions: ZeroChalk

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
I agree with Mattski. If I'm serious about winter driving, I have a second set of rims with snow tires on them. I grew up in eastern Washington in Pullman, a town that was all steep hills. At that time we all drove RWD cars like a 1959 Ford, 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix and 1966 GTO. Snow tires in the winter were NOT optional, they were darn well mandatory if you wanted to go anywhere in December through March.

Northern Colorado isn't all that different, except there are no hills like eastern WA unless you go into the mountains.

When we bought our 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought a new set of rims with snow tires from Tire Rack. I will swap the wheels on the Jeep at the end of this month. NOTE: if you buy aftermarket wheels, make SURE that the lug wrench for your car will fit the lug nuts on the new wheels! On my Jeep, the lugs nuts for the aftermarket wheels are a totally different size. I had to add a second lug wrench to the Jeep so I can replace a flat while the aftermarket wheels are installed. I ALSO have to keep one set of Jeep lug nuts in the car during winter so I can mount the factory spare wheel.

One thing I gotta say: if you can't get there in a Jeep with snow tires, you most certainly do NOT need to go there. I've driven through 12 inches of new snow in that Jeep and never spun a tire.

For my E90 (2008) BMW Sportwagon, I got lucky and actually found a set of Blizzak snow tire take-offs at a great price. I picked up a set of wheels from an E36 (1994 or so) which fit the E90 perfectly! SInce the Sportwagon is AWD, I just change the wheels in the driveway and between the Jeep and the BMW we have two very capable winter vehicles.

My wife's E90 (2009) BMW has all-season tires, but those are not in the same league as either of the vehicles with snow tires for traction when the show gets 6" deep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some sound advise....will start shopping for winters.

Now I'm curious if I can transfer my '13 Maxima rims over to the Murano. Bolt pattern & thread size match but not sure if I can go to a narrower width 245>235?

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
Some sound advise....will start shopping for winters.

Now I'm curious if I can transfer my '13 Maxima rims over to the Murano. Bolt pattern & thread size match but not sure if I can go to a narrower width 245>235?
If you have 245 width tires and would go to 235, that's not a problem if other aspects match. You can normally go a bit more narrow on tires, although it won't help your handling. You should check offset on the wheels. or at least try mounting them to see if you have clearance, both outer and inner sides. You should also check diameter on the tires to see how much speedometer and odometer error you will have. (I find that Tire Rack's reference info is handy for checking tire diameters and revs per mile.)

When I had my Murano I bought some used Murano wheels on Ebay and had snow tires mounted on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts