Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiper Blades WARNING

With the upcoming Snow/Ice.. just one problem I came across this week..

There was a b ot of snow and Ice.. so I turned on the wipers.. there was a bit of ice on the windshield and the blade "held for a second" until then broke the ice off..

when it did that.. the blade portion (black plactic) broke away from the two metal rods that run down down sides (and keep the blade attached to the general frame of the wiper blade..

it eneded up scratching the window.. so I now have a nice curved, light scratch across the whole right side of the window (passenger wiper blade..)

Damn....

·
Registered
139 Posts
That sucks, I hope you have $0 on comprehensive. Thats why I always have. If it isn't a rock, something always seems to damage the windshield. ONE replacement pays the difference for $0 on your comp. coverage.

Chez

·
4,664 Posts
I agree, that sucks. I was wondering why I didn't have that problem last winter, then I remembered. I park in a garage. Well, OK, I park in the house. The Murano get's parked in the garage.

Wait till you find out you can't flip them up out of the way to scrape off the ice. That's mildly annoying.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On the topic of wipers, am I the only one who thinks the factory wipers are garbage? With a view to replacing them, I contacted Trico (Tridon) and inquired why they didn't make the Aerofoil wiper in a 26" for the MO driver's side. I also discovered that some other company makes Nissan's factory wipers. All this to say that a pleasant e-mail discussion ended up with me receiving a FREE set of Trico Teflon wipers shipped to me. For the Canadians, no these are NOT the same Teflon wipers Cdn Tire sells. The Trico rep claims the Cdn Tire version is a lower grade rubber/Teflon/whatever. I'm happy to report that the Trico Teflon wipers are a significant improvement over the OEM wipers. And given the fact they would have cost me about $40 Cdn, they seem that much better :claphead:

Now, to discuss my complete and utter lack of engineering competence: has anyone managed to figure out how to replace the rear wiper without having to go to the dealer, or am I the only "slow" one?:8:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use RAINX wipers as well as RainX fluid, and also apply RainX to the windshield.
After doing all this, I rarely have to use the wipers on my others cars. Don't know about the MO yet.
And it also repells snow well too.
I equate it to waxing your windshield pretty much. Except it clear and you can't even tell it there.

Chez

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chez:

I use the RainX stuff to (but not on the MO) and I love the stuff..

the only problem I've founds is with very light "mist" it tends to be to light to "pool" into beads, and needs more wiper usage then normal. (the only reason I've held off, since I do a lot of highway driving with the MO, and can get a lot f the "mist" size droplets from other cars tires..

·
4,664 Posts
thecanuck said:
Now, to discuss my complete and utter lack of engineering competence: has anyone managed to figure out how to replace the rear wiper without having to go to the dealer, or am I the only "slow" one?:8:
I figured it out... Read page WW-68 of the Service Manual.

Someone told me it looks like this....

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and they expect the "average" MO Owner to be able to do this?? even yet figure it out for themselves... hmm

talk about trying to secure the "return" of the owner to nissan service.. probably charge you at least 30 mins shop time to do it too....

·
4,664 Posts
Not exactly the easiest thing I've seen... Although, if you figure it out, it's not too bad, but without the instructions, how would you have the foggiest idea of how to do this!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Jaak..

you know you were asking about the "cell phone" icons on the display.. I think I figured out what it's there for..

I Bet it for some upcoming "Telematics" (GMC - Onstar) type service that they plan on launching in the future.. I know that ford/qualcomm tried it a while back and folded it before it could launch.. I bet Nissan was "getting things ready" and then held off for a while to see what happened with the other players..

[ EDIT ADD:]

just saw this.. Nissan and Suzuki will be launching there Telematics service (CARWINGS) this fall IN JAPAN!!.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/STORY/0,1299,SI9-CH179-LO3-TI827-CI627-IFY-MC109,00.html

I bet they use the same display for the vehicles in Japan as they do here.. so it's in there for that..

http://www.telematicsresearch.com/services/pctmna_toc.htm
(check out section 9.0) Nissan is bringing Telematics to North America..
[Edit - Add Again:]

hmm maybe thats the answer to your mysterious serial conenctions.. the serial is connected to the cell phone for remote diagnostics etc) (Just like my Trailblazer.. OnStar can do a full remote diagnostics when the engine light goes on , and can tell you what it wrong..)

·
4,664 Posts
I was thinking that might be one of the uses. The other would be for an integrated BlueTooth handsfree kit. Either way, I can't help but think that the serial connection laid out in the radios circuit board, may have something to do with it. Although, I suppose it could just be another device on the CAN bus that talks to the display to tell it to turn on those icons...

Serial connection? On the Murano's Radio? yeah, it looks like this...

·
4,664 Posts
And inside that square hole that is designed to take a connector, a daughterboard that plugs into the main radio circuit board, that looks like this...

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, look you got me talking about the radio again, and we're in the middle of a wipers thread.

Gotta watch that!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
139 Posts
As far as the wiper thing goes. With all the problems they have been having with the wipers working properly (our didn't even clean the windshield on the test drive). Then the salesman took it in to the service guys while we were doing the paperwork to get them to get it fixed.
It worked for a day. And then today it won't clean the passenger side very well again. So I told the saleman about it today when I spoke to him about the below invoice stuff.
So what I am going to do to save me the hassle of replacing them myself, with the blades I want (RainX). I am going to buy the RainX blades, then bring it to the dealer and have them install them under warranty, and make them work to clean the windshield properly.

From what my wife learned prior to us buying our MO on FA's sight was that a lot of people complained about the wipers not working that well. Hopefully they will have a recall on this since it is a safety issue and will fix the problem all together.
The more people complain and take their MO's in for other things and waste their time by fixing the wipers, the faster the service bulletin will come out, then hopefully a recall.

Or the first accident in the rain, and the driver complained that they couldn't see due to the wipers not working, that will help to get a recall started!!! I know I would complain of that.

Chez

·
59 Posts
Since my MO is parked outside overnite, I firmly believe in Winter Wipers for the ice and snow. I just put on a pair of Anco's. I used an 18" on the passenger side and 24" on the driver's side. Specs call for 19" and 26", but these were the closest sizes available from Anco. They seem to work and fit pretty well. Best part is you can get them at Wal-Mart for about $6.00 each!

·
4,664 Posts
I've found the wipers to be OK. I've certainly had better, but they do the job and I still have the original ones on there.

I'll be getting winter ones as well, just because the open frame wipers clog up with ice on messy days, and then don't hold an even pressure on the glass.

I wax the glass when I wax the car. Helps keep the water off and on the highway, I often don't even need to turn on the wipers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Zaino has a glass polish that's supposed to be really good when you use it on the front window. Fills in micro scratches and what not....

·
Registered
834 Posts
I got Trico Teflon winter blades and they come in Murano sizes. Got'm from pep boys online.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jaak

Thanx for those instructions. I'll give it a shot, but since I'm as delicate as a train wreck, I'm usually paranoid about trying anthing requiring anything like a delicate touch. And this looks like one of them. I guess we'll find out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts