Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Murano and wanted to know where do you wire the AV & power to the overhead lcd screens on your Murano? Reason being, the car has side air bags...Wouldn't want it to accidentally deploy if I decide to go this route.

WiL

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Your best bet is to connect the players power to the dome light and use FM modulator to broadcast over the OEM speakers (or use headphones) This way you avoid touching the headliner except to remove the domelight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the FM modulator is for the audio. But what about the video from the dvd? Wouldn't you still have to run the wires somewhere to get to the LCD?

Thanks for replying

WiL

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I did not realize you were just installing an overhead screen. My coment was for a complete unit with DVD player.

Well, the only wire I have run in my headliner has been for the microphone mounted near the sunroof switch. But I imagine the same technique will work for you. Remove the dome light and get a long piece of hanging wire which is similar to the wire used for coat hangers but a bit more flexible. From the dome light opening, fish the wire in the roof and guide it towrds the front, bending the wire as you insert it to first avoid the sides, and second to go around the sunroof towards the right front pillar. It will take some time but you can do it if you are carefull. Remove the right A pillar inside trim so when you see the wire when itraeches that corner. Then grab it, tie your video cable to it and slowly pull it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In terms of wiring an overhead unit to the domelight, I guess the power would not be switched with the ignition key. Might there be interference by the door switches which activate the domelight? What about proper surge protection; the fuse for the domelight and whatever other accessories running off that circuit may not have a proper amperage rating.?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
There is a non switched, constant power line that goes to the domelight. However, I would imagine the dome light fuse would be at most 10 amps, which means about 120 watts of power. That may, or may not be enough to eun the overhead player. Just look at the back of the player and find out! You do not want to go beyond 75% capacity IMO. That is about 90 watts. If it is not enough, you run a fused powerline from an available source in the fuse box, or direct from the battery. To make this a real mod, then you can use domelight's unswitched line to power a relay, which then will control that direct powerline, so that you can take advantage of car's smart battery saver, which cuts power to most components, including your player, after about twenty minutes when ignition switch is in the off position. :4:

·
Registered
136 Posts
That would be a nice feature. Your right is is only a 10amp fuse. I've yet to receive the dvd unit so I can't really say how much power I need to run it. From the schematic I don't see the unswitched direct power line though. I'm thinking with the 3 positions of the domelight (off/door/on) you would end up with, no power, on an off with the door closure, on all the time except for 30 minutes after key has been removed from the ignition when the battery saver kicks in, respectively. The later sounds good but I would have to disable the dome light of the dvd unit because since the entire unit would be wired to the same circuit it would have to operate in the same way, hence the dome light would be on when the dvd player is on. I can't really say I know what I'm talking about here, just guessing. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
ADV said:
That would be a nice feature. Your right is is only a 10amp fuse. I've yet to receive the dvd unit so I can't really say how much power I need to run it. From the schematic I don't see the unswitched direct power line though. I'm thinking with the 3 positions of the domelight (off/door/on) you would end up with, no power, on an off with the door closure, on all the time except for 30 minutes after key has been removed from the ignition when the battery saver kicks in, respectively. The later sounds good but I would have to disable the dome light of the dvd unit because since the entire unit would be wired to the same circuit it would have to operate in the same way, hence the dome light would be on when the dvd player is on. I can't really say I know what I'm talking about here, just guessing. What do you think?
In order for the car's dome light to be on with doors closed, there has to be a non switched power line available so it must be there. If the player's power requirment permits it, feed the player from that line. As far as the player's light is concerned, if it is designed to come on and off with the doors, the player must have two power feeds, one switched and one constant. If it does not call for two power feeds, then they have only designed the lights to be operated manually via a switch on the player. In that case you cannot change its operation no matter how you wire it. So I don't think there is a need to disable anything. Just hookup the wire and leave the player lightst off until you need them to be on....

·
Registered
136 Posts
the dvd unit does have to feed lines, one for the light and one for the player/lcd. Looks like the unit only requires a 3A fuse (1A being allocated for the built in dome light). I guess I would need a sum for the wattage of everything running off that 10A circuit to see if there is still room to add a 3A dvd unit. What would you propose in terms of connections based on the wiring schematic above?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
If you need 2 amps to drive the DVD, that is only 24 watts total. I doubt any lights on the dome circuit will consume anything close to 1 amp so you should be safe. Just check and double check to make sure. And I would not just look at the fuse rating. I would read the player's spec sheet for actual power requirement. Once you are sure that is all you need, just tap into line 3 on the right side of the picture (room light). That seems to be the constant power coming in. Use a good connector so you would not have issues later on.

Also, I would make the electrical connections and run the DVD player before physical installation (drilling holes, etc.) to make sure it works.

Don't forget to post pics of your install....:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts