Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't it be nice if you could mark your own route instead of having the Nav do it for you? For example, I go to visit my Aunt and I follow her car to a distant relative. Instead of me remembering all the turns it would be nice if the nav would "memorize" the route so on the return trip I could follow it back without having to set a destination. Especially, if we take a shortcut that the nav doesn't see as being shorter.

I suppose you could set wavepoints or something but that seems to be kind of time consuming.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I agree that would be a nice feature. Kind of like an addition to the address book, but where would it fit. Afterall, it isnt figuring out a destination from your current location but only from Point A to Point B. It would be nice to have regardless.

The one thing that gets on my nerves is when I am driving down the road, put the NAV on for a destination, usually home, and it wants me to turn around. However, I have other plans in mind, so I drive straight ahead until the NAV gets the hint and re-maps out my destination. Just a bit of a pet peeve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...I've done that TOO!! sometimes I just ignore it, but I suppose you could program a quick stop near the place you are going to stop at first..but then what's the fun of that? :)

Another addition that could be added is the ability to program a road that either isn't listed on the nav or isn't correct. There is a shortcut near me that the nav shows only half of the road (it shows a dead end essentially). would be nice to tell it that the area I am driving on now is in reality a road. :1pat:

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I think the technical approach to your last suggestion would be to use the gps to record the speed and shape of the road and average the deltas vs the details stored on the navigation dvd. Then, periodically upload the averaged deltas to zenrin. It should be enough to trigger an investigation if they receive, say, 100 passes through an area stored as 25 mph but is now 55 and is no longer a 90-degree left turn but a long sweeping highway. (Can you tell I face this daily, too? :) )

If anyone has verified that the nav dvd (and data) is freely accessible, then it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
My entire housing complex is not in the NAV. I wish that the car would assume that there is a road, considering that I travel it everyday.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I wish the NAV used real-time data to give arrival time.

I wish we had the european traffic reports on the radio, and the NAV linked to it to report traffic problems ahead. I witnessed this in Germany in a VW minivan, and it was very cool.

I wish the NAV had an "Adult" mode, tthat would call you rude names if you missed a turn. That would be very amusing!

I wish I could hook up a mobile printer, so that when people ask directions I could print out the complete route.

I wish the co-pilot (Wife) could reprogram whilst we're moving.

I wish it wouldn't keep telling me stay on XYZ road when an exit is coming up.

Maybe in the '07 Murano

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree with ALL Those wishes.

Regarding "adult" mode.
When I first got the MO I told my family to be very careful with the nav because if it detects you putting on the left turn signal when the nav says to turn right it would say "I told you make a right turn &*^%%"
:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree... It would even be nice just to have the NAV let you know it's still alive... On long trips, you barely hear from her/him. An occasional <<BURP>> "excuse me" would be fun... well maybe not... How about the NAV pointing out special interest locations... "And comming up on your right is ..." Just some ideas..
:4:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, came up with this one today. How about if the nav could display weather conditions based on where you are at. For example, if there was a flood watch for the area you are driving into a warning would flash on the display. Would be a greatly appreciated feature if you were on a long trip to an area not too familiar.
Of course, general current weather conditions would be nice as well -- but there is always the outside temp thermometer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would be really nice if the NAV would remember your preferred route if it was different that what it suggests. That way the first time you take a route the computer would memorize and store it.

As long as we're wishing here, it would be great if the NAV could tie into a traffic report or road construction feed and automatically reroute you to a less congested route.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Milkman said:
For example, if there was a flood watch for the area you are driving into a warning would flash on the display.
This is also one of my long term plans. If you've seen a relatively modern "weatheradio", you've seen how most come with LCD displays now, and actually show you in text any watches or warnings in effect. This is thanks to a system called SAME alerting, Specific Area Message Encoding. Its an improvement over the old days of "there's a thunderstorm in the northern half of New Jersey." Every county in America has been issued a serial number of sorts, and every type of watch or warning has also been issued a type code. So whenever a watch or warning gets issued for a county, NOAA weather radio puts out short data bursts listing the counties involved, the types of watches or warnings, and the duration of the watch or warning period.

Since the nav knows where you are located, it should be able to do a lookup in a database for the NOAA frequencies that cover your current location (and perhaps surrounding counties), and tune a small receiver to scan the appropriate frequencies. Then, as alerts are issued, update the display in real time, lighting up an affected county in yellow, red, light or dark green just like they do on the Weather Channel. With GPSDrive for Linux, you can overlay stuff over a map (but not do routing - also good for mapping open wireless LANs). Now, pair that up with open access via 802.11, and the system could react by not only lighting up the affected county on the map, but also start looking for open wireless to pull down an updated radar loop for your area. I know I sure could have used that when I came across the tornado in Missouri. I kept hearing long lists of counties being read off for tornado warnings but I had no idea where they were relative to us.

To date, I have not found a software SAME decoder, but I'd bet the PIC-E from tapr.org could be programmed to decode their data transmissions, since it already does 1200-baud packet for APRS applications.

Another of the many reasons I want a full PC in the car. Does anyone think there's a chance we'll be able to pull an NMEA stream out of our Nav systems? That would help *immensely* in planning apps for a carputer.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
One of the fun things the Vcommand does is, when it has a very convululted rout to figure out say lots of turn within a subdivision the voice goes "hummmm" "humm" "Hummm" making sounds like he is thinking, Then it says "I got It". Kind of neat.

With a 20 Gig Hard Drive I guess there is plenty of room for thoes kind of things. Grip :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts