Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was just wondering about possibly getting LED taillights... but Im clueless about the mechanics of all of this car stuff :D I did a site search about the LED lights, but I had a hard time following some of the threads, so I figured that I might just ask again. Gripper I saw that you mentioned having purchased LED lights... maybe you can help me?

Here's basically what I wanted some clarification on...

1. Where would I go to purchase LED tail lights (any good websites etc..)
2. How would I install them? Do they just fit into the sockets like normal bulbs?
3. does anyone have pictures of their LED lights so I can see what they look like?
4. can you tell that they are LED lights? what colors did you guys use?
5. did you need different kinds for the parking light, brake lights... etc

SOrry for the length and the repetition of thread.. but I could really use any info anyone might have on this

Thanks so much !!!!
jackie:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
They have the same type of base as the bulbs you will be replacing, so it is as easy as removing the old one and replacing it with a LED variant.

However, my experience with LED replacment bulbs is that you loose peripheral luminance. In plain english, they are not as bright as filament bulbs except when viewed directly. For this reason, you will probably sacrifice some visability to the side.

Maybe technology has changed in the past 2 years, but when I tried a set, I immediately took them out and passed them on. I didn't want to chance the loss of visability.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I tried leds in the front parking lamps, I agree with Dalite, viewed straight on they are ok, but i went with brighter ion's up front.
There are some larger bulbs than 194-168 that have side firing led's
but i haven't tried them.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I have personally seen the LED tail light that MattsMurano put in. He did a lot of work and came up with some very innovative things. I would first suggest a search of his posts and the links he referred to. A number of the new LEDs are now arrays that are beginning to be designed to utilize the reflectors of the normal filament lamps..

It is true that peripheral illumination is lost with "Normal" LEDs. But the newer ones are getting there. I am intersted in replacements also. their are the additional adjustments that needd to be made to the blinker systems as well. There are fixes for that also. Lets talk again after you read and look at MattsMurano galleries.

·
4,994 Posts
QUICK ON, provides more stopping distance for following drivers. Test by NHTSA determined it was "significant"

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
GripperDon said:
QUICK ON, provides more stopping distance for following drivers. Test by NHTSA determined it was "significant"
It also helps keep some drivers off your tail.... I know I am one of them! I just don't like to be driving behind someone with LED lights. They feel "unnatural" when they come on and bother me!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
They also use less power, last longer and produce less heat.

·
4,994 Posts
What did you think of MattsMurano pictures and discussion? The local dealers parts supply department all sell various kinds around here they may be a good source of info also.

·
Registered
438 Posts
provides more stopping distance for following drivers

It also helps keep some drivers off your tail
Yeah right ;)

What they do is provide more bling so you're rollin' like an FX/G35/M3(2004+)/Escalade etc.

As has been discussed before on these forums, the look most people want is the custom array that is in the tail lamps in the above cars. They do not use a single LED (or a tight array) plugged into a single socket. Instead, each lamp housing has a PC board with a 2D array of LEDs that fill the space behind the lens (similar to the line of LEDs in most 3rd brake lights).

As someone actually diagramed in this very forum, the incandescent bulb sends light back to the reflector and lights up the whole lens. However the LED is directional so you get one big bright spot in the middle and little to no light reflected. While it is true that it might come on a few milliseconds quicker, this is offset by having a smaller area illuminated.

Really, pluggin those LEDs into a socket is like plugging blue bulbs into a headlight... it says "I don't have a car with LED tails/HIDs but I'm pretending I do." And you're fooling nobody... people who know what the real thing looks like can tell the difference.

Also, do I recall right that someone was making their own PC board/LED array for their Murano tails... or am I just imagining things? This would be a fun project :D

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gripper, I spent about 2 hours this afternoon trying to sort through all of the threads that came up with Mattsmurano in it.... I still cant make much sense of all of those... I was reading threads all over the place, but didnt seem to find the one you were talking about on this site. I also searched the galleries, and found nothing for Mattsmurano there either...

Im probably just being idiotic or clueless.... but can you just pm me the thread/pics you were talking about?

Also, the main reason I was looking into this, is just because I think it might be a nice change... I like to be just a little different from the other MO's in rochester any way that I can;) I love the simple beauty of the MO but its always cool to drive up next to another MO and have them look at yours and say, ohhh that is so nice!!!!

·
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
I like the quick on theory but longer lasting... I don't think in the 14 years of previous ownership I never replaced a tail light bulb and only one front marker light.

I can see how the quicker on time would help. I think sometimes people back away with cars that have rear sensors thinking that they are always on. :rolleyes:

·
4,994 Posts
You were lucky, LED's do last longer, not that frequent filament failure is a pressing problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just bought some LED lights, just waiting for them to come in. If you want to talk about a person who is not mechanically inclined, that be me. From what I read on the website, if I understood correctly, they now sell, if they didn't already, multi direction LED's. They are very similar to the design Mattsmurano showed, maybe they finally made it? I kind of held off because I wasn't sure about them though. I ordered the ones for the the parking lights and side markers, at least I think. We'll see....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not to really detract from the thread discussion, but it's somewhat related. .... Regarding the rear turning signal lights. Has anyone ever put in yellow colored bulbs into the socket? If so, how does it look? Does it come out orange because of the red tail light cover or does the yellow show thru? :confused: Any thoughts?

I'm asking only because I prefer a yellow turning signal and I haven't seen/heard of any tailight mods. Yellow just stands out better and mor noticeable than a red blinker. Thanks!!!

·
4,994 Posts
Be sure to PM MOpar he know more about parking lights than anyone else I know of. :)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
GripperDon said:
You were lucky, LED's do last longer, not that frequent filament failure is a pressing problem.
Lets not forget about the coolness factor too. :26:

·
4,994 Posts
Carefully you will get accused of being a "Wannabe"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts