Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 murano awd 190k miles

Okay I just bought this car and on my way home I was trying to see how fast I could go and I reached 80 miles per hour. It wouldnt go any faster then 80. Figured a govenor. I got off the exit the car just died. I knew when I bought it that the battery was no good so even though I replaced the battery it's still will not start. I went and checked the oil and it was pretty empty. Added some oil.

Now I can get in the car lights radio everything works but when I go to start it I get a kind of soft click and then you hear like a light hum and that's it. It doesn't try to crank it doesn't try to turn the motor over almost like dead Electronics or something.

I'm sorry that it's probably not the best description but it's the best I could do any help would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
2004 murano awd 190k miles

Okay I just bought this car and on my way home I was trying to see how fast I could go and I reached 80 miles per hour. It wouldnt go any faster then 80. Figured a govenor. I got off the exit the car just died. I knew when I bought it that the battery was no good so even though I replaced the battery it's still will not start. I went and checked the oil and it was pretty empty. Added some oil.

Now I can get in the car lights radio everything works but when I go to start it I get a kind of soft click and then you hear like a light hum and that's it. It doesn't try to crank it doesn't try to turn the motor over almost like dead Electronics or something.

I'm sorry that it's probably not the best description but it's the best I could do any help would be extremely appreciated.
I bold-faced the most salient part of your post. You need to get a ratchet or breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt and try to turn the engine over manually. If it won't budge, I'm afraid you're hosed. If it will turn over manually, then diagnose it like a normal no crank, no start.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I bold-faced the most salient part of your post. You need to get a ratchet or breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt and try to turn the engine over manually. If it won't budge, I'm afraid you're hosed. If it will turn over manually, then diagnose it like a normal no crank, no start.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
I agree with this. If you froze the motor due to no oil, you're done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would check your wiring from POS battery terminal. Doesn't sound like a starter, and if everything (lights radio etc) come on, and without any clicking, I would think it's a wiring issue. May be a loose or corroded wire connection. Or it could be the crank/camshaft sensors. I would try jumping it first. If it turns over, then you know it's not a seized engine, and it's likely a poor wiring connection. Check the wiring from +battery terminal first. Starter won't engage if there's a poor/no electric connection . If wiring is good, then check camshaft/crankshaft sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I couldn't even find the harmonic balancer it's so tight. I'm no mechanic But have been working on car pretty much my whole life. But today I'm going to look at the positive cable. Grrr

I was going to just bring it to my mechanic to just get an estimate. But the whole shop burned down yesterday. You can't even make this stuff up. Lol

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Man, don't play with sharp objects...this may not be your week!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
No, I couldn't even find the harmonic balancer it's so tight. I'm no mechanic But have been working on car pretty much my whole life. But today I'm going to look at the positive cable. Grrr

I was going to just bring it to my mechanic to just get an estimate. But the whole shop burned down yesterday. You can't even make this stuff up. Lol
Harmonic balancer bolt is the big bolt on the big pulley right next to the oil filter. The best way to access it would be through the passenger-side wheel well (...jack the car up and remove the wheel and splash shield).

I suggested going in this direction based on your description that the car seemed to have a lack of power (e.g.wouldn't exceed 80 mph) and "just died" while driving it home and when trying to restart it would not crank, but you could hear an audible click and hum. A new battery didn't help and you checked the oil and it was "pretty empty" (...BTW, you never stated how much oil you had to add). So, it could end up being an electrical problem but IMO before going down that rabbit hole I would make sure the engine is fine mechanically because if it isn't--game over.

Good luck!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Overhead cam engines are known to seize up as soon as the oil pump starts to pull any air. Overhead cam bears will only survive mere seconds when air starts being pumped thru the system, causing the bearings to gall up and seize the cam shaft solid. Crank bearings can take a little more abuse before failing.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here is my update.

Checked the positive and neg battery terminals. Cleaned them real good. Sent battery to advanced auto and had them do an overnight charge. Came back fine because it was at like 12amp. Took the battery tray out. Checked the other end of neg cable. As well as the couple other small ground cables. So far looked good. Checked the fuses that attaches to the battery tray. Made sure they werent burnt out. Sprayed all the connections with (pro-tech p/n 74106 extends battery life and improves electrical output) stuff.
Connected battery. NOW. Wished the battery terminals were really tight but the bolts are seized. Just lightly taped them in to snug them. I think it was snug enough. then went to start it and this time the engine cranked!!! Not long like maybe a few seconds. Then tried again and nothing. No noise at all. One thing I noticed which I forgot on my original post was that when I went to the engine there was a little smoke coming from the left side of the battery and the right side of the engine. Somewhere in that area. Couldnt tell where it was coming from. Maybe a whitish color. Didn't smell like anything. This happened when I first started this repair, or lack there of repair lol. Funny but now that battery is back down to 12amps

Ok is that little crank good news. Am I looking at an electrical issue.

Thanks in advance for all the responses so far. You have no idea how I appreciate it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A new battery should read around 12.6 VOLTS when fully charged. It sounds like your're saying your new battery is only reading 12 volts after cranking once? If so, then either the battery is not good, or something is draining it... However, you also mentioned the battery was charged at Advance Auto, and it was only 12 volts? 12 volts is pretty much a dead battery...

I would also replace those loose battery cables. You want a snug connection to transfer the AMPS needed to start you Murano.

Regarding the white smoke coming from the left side of the battery and the right side of the engine . Maybe there is a short in that area, and that may explain the battery draining (if it's a good battery...) However, I would expect there to be a smell associated with the white smoke if it was a short...

I would also check the cable to your starter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok here is my update.

Checked the positive and neg battery terminals. Cleaned them real good. Sent battery to advanced auto and had them do an overnight charge. Came back fine because it was at like 12amp. Took the battery tray out. Checked the other end of neg cable. As well as the couple other small ground cables. So far looked good. Checked the fuses that attaches to the battery tray. Made sure they werent burnt out. Sprayed all the connections with (pro-tech p/n 74106 extends battery life and improves electrical output) stuff.
Connected battery. NOW. Wished the battery terminals were really tight but the bolts are seized. Just lightly taped them in to snug them. I think it was snug enough. then went to start it and this time the engine cranked!!! Not long like maybe a few seconds. Then tried again and nothing. No noise at all. One thing I noticed which I forgot on my original post was that when I went to the engine there was a little smoke coming from the left side of the battery and the right side of the engine. Somewhere in that area. Couldnt tell where it was coming from. Maybe a whitish color. Didn't smell like anything. This happened when I first started this repair, or lack there of repair lol. Funny but now that battery is back down to 12amps

Ok is that little crank good news. Am I looking at an electrical issue.

Thanks in advance for all the responses so far. You have no idea how I appreciate it.
A few seconds of cranking is good news indeed! Thus, I'll go back to my other post about treating this like a no crank, no start. You have a new battery and it seems like it's holding a full charge, but you really need to do something about the cable connections. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "taped them"? The connections should be clean and tight. Once that's in order, try starting again. If nothing changes then turn your attention to troubleshooting the starter. BTW...the starter is underneath the area where the battery is so that could be the source of the "white smoke" you saw.

I would still be concerned that the car died on you while driving home. It's a 15 year-old car with high mileage so perhaps there are other underlying problems here. Have you tried scanning the PCM for trouble codes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe the problem is in the electrical system and the loose battery connections. There is an active recall on '03-'07 Mo's for alternator failure' so check with your local dealer. If the output on the alternator is too lowb the vehicle will go into limp mode, which would explain it not going more than 80mph. When the battery gets too low, the vehicle will get to the point where it won't accelerate at all, then it will quit running completely. Replace those clamps. A loose connection can cause charging/starting problems. Also, check the fusible links in the block that's attached to the positive battery clamp. There are 4 fusible links in that block, and a blown fusible link can cause problems with starting and charging. Make sure the oil is full or close to full. I believe there is a safety feature that will shut the engine down to prevent damage, if the oil level gets too low. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts