Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's for a 2017 Nissan Murano S, over the phone, the dealer seems to think it's and assembly from inside the door, but this plastic piece attaches to the door, it's what the cover attaches to. It's the handle the helps you lift the door Any ideas?
Bicycle Crankset Tire Bicycle frame Wheel
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can't tell from the photos...is the trim piece broken or cracked, or did it get smacked and only break the fastener holder? If it's just that one holder, I'd remove the fastener (unless it's permanently affixed to its mounting area on the hatch) then epoxy or silicone it back into that holder, let it fully cure and then pop it back on.

EDIT: However, it looks like the entire piece slides on to the right to lock in place. Looks like you'd have to remove all plastic fasteners, push them back into their mounting holes on the hatch, and then apply some silicone or epoxy to that broken holder on the end and then slip the entire trim piece back into place and let it cure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fastener part is broken, I backed into a pole, it seems almost impossible to put back together since 2 fasteners (looks like gray metal hooks) are sideways and 2 are upwards, any idea?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
The fastener part is broken, I backed into a pole, it seems almost impossible to put back together since 2 fasteners (looks like gray metal hooks) are sideways and 2 are upwards, any idea?
You have to remove the interior panel to properly access the back of the white push-in holders to release them. If any are broken, you can get them online.

Looks like you'll have to replace the outer shell piece. Right where the wires come out, are the studs (Broken off outer shell.) with nuts on the other side that hold the handle on properly at the center. The clips only support the outer ends.

Once you have the interior panel off, you can unplug the wires and compress the rubber seal to push the wires out, releasing the assembly from the door.

You might be able to get a used assembly from a local auto recycler fairly cheap.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your handy with plastic repairs, there is a product called PLASTEX that would allow you to repair thoses broken black tabs on the cover. Remove the white clips that are still in the lift gate, re insert and you may be good to go.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like PaulDay is 100% correct. With those center-position stud holders being vertical and the ends being horizontal, there's no way to put that piece back on without access from the inside. For an easy, quick fix you could enlarge the plastic holder opening at the center so that the hatch-side retaining studs simply seat inside of them, then apply some silicone adhesive inside each holder, slide-lock that trim piece back onto the end retaining studs and tape the center firmly against hatch while it cures... But, there's no guarantee that will hold longterm and won't pop when the hatch expands and contracts in hot/cold conditions. Looks like the only way to ensure a snug, permanent fit would be to fix the holders on the trim piece, then take the interior hatch panel off, etc.

The compromised holders appear to be salvagable/fixable, but if reusing that piece I would dab a little silicone adhesive in the center holders just to be safe. I wouldn't use epoxy or anything that would bond too strongly that if having to remove the piece later on to perform a repair on the latching system, you end up breaking or damaging something during the process.

If it were me, I'd take the time to do everything correctly so that I wouldn't have to worry about it failing off. If you perform a poor repair in a region that gets snow/ice, you run the risk of ice building up in that seam and possibly forcing the trim piece outwards and breaking those already weakened holders.

Not sure how involved it is with your model, but I know it took about 10 minutes to remove the interior hatch panel on my 2003 to replace the license plate bulbs.

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Everything Nissan" used to be my go-to source for genuine Nissan parts, usually cheaper than from the Parts Dept at the dealer. But recently they redid their site and now it's impossible to use so I've switched to a vendor called "Nissan Parts Plus."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts