Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that most of you are MO owners. Would you buy MO again or look for something else? I'm looking at either MO and Pilot but this thread makes me uncertain especially since I'm trying to get rid of low quality vehicle. I do like the look/performance of MO but after seeing these long lists of 'to be fixed' or 'desirable features' is a concern. I did not see such a volume of complaints on hondapilot.org

·
Registered
400 Posts
I definitely would

There's nothing wrong with the Honda Pilot. It's a nice vehicle and has Honda reliability behind it.

Personally, I picked the MO over the Honda Pilot because I felt that the MO had a more spacious back seat and was more entertaining to drive. I realize the MO doesn't have a 3rd row seat... but I saw that as an effective solution: Compromise 2nd and 3rd row seating knee room, or simply offer a 2nd row seat only with plenty of knee room. I rarely carry more than 4 people, so the MO won in the "space utilization" category. As for performance... that's completely subjective and up to the individual. But I felt that the MO was more sporty, actually enjoyed being tossed into turns and provided good feedback. The Honda Pilot understeers more readily, leans more and "floats" over the surface of the road. (It has a smoother ride, but I get less feedback.)

Of course, opinions vary, so pick what makes you happy. For me, I would definitely buy another MO.

Bob

·
Registered
719 Posts
I test drove a Pilot and actually put a deposit down on one with a local dealer. I thought it was a descent transportation applicance (just like most Hondas) but it was really going to be the wife's vehicle. It inspired absolutely no feelings of enjoyment while driving at all.

Luckily for me, the dealer was 6-8 weeks out for delivery and so we were waiting. ?T/hen the Murano comes out and I see one at my local Nissan dealer while getting my 00 Maxima oil change done. Test drove it and now I had a big problem. I loved it and already had the deposit down for the Pilot for the wife, which she liked.

After a lot of work, I managed to talk the wife into the Murano (at about $3k more for the NAV version) and talk the Honda dealer into giving me the deposit back and voiding the contract.

Have you driven both vehicles yets?

I can't imagine too many people would choose the Pilot over the Murano if you test drove them back to back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
HECKS YEAH

would i buy my MO again? oh def. before i bought the murano, i was looking into the PILOT,ENDEAVOR and HIGHLANDER. great cars, and got high marks. in fact when i first saw the MO i decided that i didn't like it. then for the heck of it, i went and sat inside of the car, and that instantly changed my mind. the pilot looked like an overgrown rav4, the highlander looked ok, and the endeavor....well i didn't hear good things about mitsubishi cars. the gas mileage was another seller for me, unfortunately i haven't seen any of that 20mpg city, but other than that its great. i've had my shares of problems, but they were small nothing big. go with the Murano, you won't regret it. this forum is such a great place to find out stuff anyways, that even if you do run into some snags, you'll be quick to find a solution. trust me...all cars have little "problems".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I get it and it keeps going into service frequently I'll get kicked out of the house.

·
Registered
104 Posts
no worries. go for a test drive. first thing. when not moving, or moving slowly turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then to the right. if you hear a big 'THUMP' then the steering bolt is loose. have em fix it there. when you're driving just make sure the steering wheel is straight. if not have em fix it.
i suggest you look at all the problems on the forums and make a list and make sure you don't run in to the same problems. :1:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quikkik said:
i suggest you look at all the problems on the forums and make a list and make sure you don't run in to the same problems. :1:
these seem to be a long list of stuff to be fixed. Just test drove Pilot and as ugly as it is it has not bad ride.

·
5,268 Posts
I do not believe that the problem list is long............yes, some people complained about window rattle and few more minor things though I do not believe we are talking about serious problems here.

You better check the Honda/Acura forum and check why so many transmissions failed..........

To answer your question - I would buy MO again. Maybe with slightly different options but so far I am really happy. I am always truly amazed after coming back from frequent business trips and getting back to my MO! All the rentals - Pontiacs, Buicks etc...........forget it

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I agree with Kris, look around at other sites Lexus, Honda, Toyota. Your not going to have a mass production of ANY veichle without seeing a list of gripes. I'm sure the Pilot is a fine SUV but market research said Nissan was capturing the WOW factor with the Murano. I got to say I'm someone that was totally taken by the looks and drivability of the Murano. Everything else I test drove like the Endeavor and the Highlander were kinda of a yawn. I was actually on the way to pick up an Endeavor and I turned the car around and went back to Nissan.
My list, rattles-none. Mechanicals-none. Problems, none, zippo, nada.
My biggest gripe is not being able to lift the windshield wiper arms up when washing the car. Now I can live with that.
Would I buy another, yes without hesitation. I think the more senior members on this list are more qualified to answer so I hope they jump in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In a heartbeat. No regrets.

It seems to me that many of the perceived problems are just that: perceived (not actual).

The pillar rattles are real. But just a nuisance. I have a theory, based on previous experience, what is causing them, but seems like everybody wants to rediscover America for themselves. So be it.

The loose steering bolt, while rare, should be taken care of tutte suite.

I haven't experienced the power steering problem, and I'm one of the last surviving parallel parkers! As for it happening when you're NOT going extremely slow, I doubt that I would try turning the wheel lock-to-lock suddenly a couple of times at speed unless I was intentionally trying to roll the MO. Ain't gonna happen.

As for the cacophany of whines about "I can't believe I paid over 30 grand and the MO doesn't have (enter feature here)", I can only wonder "I can't believe anyone with a modicum of common sense would lay out over 30 grand for ANYTHING without finding out beforehand what they were getting." [/rant]

Just do your homework.....

·
5,268 Posts
UncaDanno said:
"I can't believe anyone with a modicum of common sense would lay out over 30 grand for ANYTHING without finding out beforehand what they were getting." [/rant]

Just do your homework.....
You said the magic word!..................

It is very annoying when people are complaining that Murano doesn't have these and that................so, why did you buy this in the first place?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still don't get it. There's lots of people with basic problems
I have had my 04 Murano for 3 months...Rattles, Rattles and more Rattles...going to the dealer for the 7th time Friday. If it is not resolved then I will be contacting my attorney to get the paper work started on a lemon.....I love the MO, but can't stand all the noises....
Notable rattles appear to be... the infamous window rattle (present on the wide majority of Muranos), the A pillar rattle, and the B pillar (seatbelt tensioner) rattle.

• There are a few solutions for the window rattle, including TSBs and our own "home brew" solution involving a shim in the door trim.

• The A pillar rattle seems to come from the cover being loose.

• The B pillar rattle is another box of nuts altogether

my 2001 Escape did not have any rattles (although had other problems)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
keram said:
I still don't get it. There's lots of people with basic problems
Not to start a pissing war with people WITH problems but there are
plenty of people WITHOUT problems.
Now as far as this thread is concerned it looks like everyone that responed to your question has said YES they would do it again.
Bob1

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My Two Cents....

First off, I would buy another MO in a second. It is the "funnest" car to drive. It handles great, goes fast and the AWD is making this winter from hell alot more tolerable. Us MO owners measure our triumphs in SPG's (Smiles Per Gallon) That said, it sounds to me like your talking yourself into the Pilot. Life's short my friend, there ain't no perfect anything. If you buy a MO, and it's not perfect, you'll be kicking yourself. Get the Pilot and don't look back. Analyze life too much and you miss bunches. There's a thread here somewhere comparing the MO to the Pilot. There's also a Pilot newsgroup you can get to from here... If you think the Pilot's problem free, I think you outta browse check that group out. Compare, analyze, consider, shop, and when ya do decideAs I said, nothings perfect. Sometimes ya gotta let the right side of the brain have a say. Good luck.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
your enthusiasm and looks/drives of MO still have me in the process of deciding. thanks for all replies

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
i bought my MO in sept. 2003

i traded it in nov 2003

i would not buy another one again, prolly ever......

i DO love the looks, accents, trimmings, style, performance (well, its a little less than i wanted, but still a blast!!), but i have had problems with mine of which i was not comfortable making monthly payment after monthly payment on, for years...

i guess it is all dependant on how one looks at a car, and , one person's car problems are/could be anothers carefree motoring....

i just have a DIFFERENT (not higher or lower, JUST different) expectation of what i wanted from MY MO.... it fell short, and the two dealers i went to amplified my disgust...

to prove that i DO like the MO package, i tested the 04, loaded, and still found a tick in the window... that's where i stopped my search and gave up.... (would've traded the 03 sl-awd for an 04 se-awd loaded with nav, had it been corrected for the tick..)

i was NOT impressed with the mo's competition really... well really, it has NO competition to speak of (in that price-range), so i went to the Infiniti dealer, on a whim...

at the INF. dealer, they treated me like royality.... i got more than i owed on the MO, and a killer deal (lower apr% too) on an 03 fx45 w/tech....

while some say they are totally diff. chassis/platforms (yes, they are) they do have a very similar market approach-appeal, and made my smiles-per-gallon return (as the MO originally did, before i let the problems become too overbearing)

i kept my wallet in the nissan market by buying the infiniti, which should go to show that i do like the mo's ....

i just let the problems overwhelm the whole ownership process, which made MY mo no longer desirable. (how i am with some things i guess)

sms

ps- the fx is not without fault, as are all cars, but to claim that one car should be acceptible , simply because others have problems, is not the fairest analysis of the issue (IMO)

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
keram said:
I'm off to Honda store, will wait 2 - 3 years for Nissan to work out the problems.
you might want to start the same post as this one on the www.hondapilot.org site (or the like)

i hope my honesty doesnt upset too many here; i really like this forum a lot. (am hoping the fx.org site im on grows to this level as well)

SMS

·
5,268 Posts
I prefer MO window tick over Honda/Acura transmission problem..........

esemes,
yes we all have different expectations............i do like the FX quality, however MO has other advantages - CVT with its smoothness and the quietness in city driving, roominess, styling (very subjective!)

One cannot help with bad dealership. But it has nothing to do with the vehicle.....

1 - 20 of 96 Posts