Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking for a new car. Two new boys are forcing our hand. I can't drive the car when we put both of their car seats into either of our cars. The driver's seat is too far forward. My knees just can't handle it. So we're looking for an SUV. So far the Mo fit the bill the best. Most of the SUVs just don't give me enough leg room with a car seat right behind me. We've test driven the following:

Honda Pilot (third row forces front seats forward)
Acura MDX (same thing)
Buick Ranier (my head hit the roof)
Volvo XC90 (I was packed in, did like it though)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (head was close to the roof)
Jeep Commander (I liked it, I fit well. Gas mileage and parking scared the wife)
Murano

So on to the questions...

2005 or 2006? Looks like the bluetooth phone integration is in the 2006? If you search the 2006 manual PDF for bluetooth, its mentioned in the index. Anything else worthwhile on the 2006?

Any major flaws with the 2005?

Do you think the transimission problems have been resolved with the 2005 or 2006?

Extended warranty or not? How much does it cost?

We'll probably purchase from Mossy Nissan in San Diego. Any complaints or things I should look out for with them?

Anything I should ask for when purchasing the vehicle?

Anything else I should know?

Finally, would you buy one again?

Thanks. This board seems great. I'll be giving up my Saab 93ss. There is bunch of great guys at http://www.saabcentral.com if you're looking for a Saab forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The CVT causes sluggish acceleration, the wipers are really pathetic in a snow storm and the AWD isn't much better than FWD.

If I had it to do over I'd spend a little more and get an Acura MDX.

Good Luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JeffC said:
The CVT causes sluggish acceleration, the wipers are really pathetic in a snow storm and the AWD isn't much better than FWD.

If I had it to do over I'd spend a little more and get an Acura MDX.

Good Luck.

Jeff
Problem is, I dont fit in an MDX. It hardly rains here in San Diego....

I'd fit in the MDX if we didnt have the car seats. We're going to get the SE if we get one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The CVT causes sluggish acceleration
Although with two little ones in tow, I'd think that aggressive acceleration is not one of his top priorities...or at least I hope not. There is the Ds option as well if you're really concerned (makes the engine run at higher revs = faster acceleration).

I'd definitely buy a MO again. But make sure you get all the goodies that you REALLY want when you buy the car. I think that goes for any car, not just the MO. But if I had to do it again, I'd make sure it had the xenon headlamps. They make a huge difference. Thankfully they're not too hard to install yourself (even someone of my limited mechanical/electrical experience was able to pull it off thanks to the excellent directions by MO in TO), but why mess with that if you can get them installed at the factory.

Anyway, before you go to the dealer, familiarize yourself with the different options/packages and prerequisites, and find out exactly what you want. For example, to get VDC (stability control) you have to get the exorbitant Touring Package. Don't let the salesman confuse you with the different packages/options, as they quickly add up.

But I guess that's one of the good things about the MO. You can get a pretty well-equipped base model, or add a few things to make your own "mid" model, or go all-out and get a pretty complete luxury package, and it's only limited by your budget.

Oh, I wouldn't recommend getting chrome wheels from the factory. If you want them later, you can get them pretty reasonably on eBay, or go aftermarket.

But yeah, if you do get a Murano, watch out for those rogue snowstorms in San Diego! :2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CP-Mike said:
Although with two little ones in tow, I'd think that aggressive acceleration is not one of his top priorities...or at least I hope not. There is the Ds option as well if you're really concerned (makes the engine run at higher revs = faster acceleration).

I'd definitely buy a MO again. But make sure you get all the goodies that you REALLY want when you buy the car. I think that goes for any car, not just the MO. But if I had to do it again, I'd make sure it had the xenon headlamps.

But yeah, if you do get a Murano, watch out for those rogue snowstorms in San Diego! :2:
I'll definately be getting xenon headlamps. I've got them in my Saab now. The view is awesome. I'd probably get most of the options, with the exception of the DVD system. That system seems pretty goofy coming out of the center console like that. If my kids are anything like my brother and I, that thing will get ripped out during the first big fight in the back seat. Need your weapons...

Do you think the dealer will haggle over an early 2006?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you think the dealer will haggle over an early 2006?
For sure. They're going to pull out all the BS. "It's brand-new, top-of-the-line, they added features XYZ, they fixed this and that, the new wheels are painstakingly hand-crafted by cloistered nuns..." etc.
I'd probably get most of the options
If you roll like that, definitely go for the '06. Its always nice to have the latest and greatest, especially if you don't want to have any regrets. When I bought mine, I cheaped out. I went with a used '04 SL (it only had 1000 miles on it) just because I could get it for less than a new '05 S. But I ended up spending a bunch of money and time after I bought it putting in the xenons and an OEM tow hitch, and I've still got a few more upgrades to make. I wish I had NAV and the rear backup camera, but there's no way I can add those even if I wanted to.

Anyway, my point is I'm glad you're going all-out with the options.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Mo is it, buy again in a heartbeat

Actually I did, 2004 to 2005

G

·
4,601 Posts
Another one? Sure, if I could find better service, and I'd skip the AWD this time around as I don't believe the transfer case is up to the task.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think the Murano $ for $ is the best option available. If I had to buy another SUV I would buy a Murano. I just need (okay, want) something faster and a larger aftermarket that consists of more than cosmetic upgrades.

All in all we've been very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Short answer: I'd buy a Murano again in a heartbeat.

For your needs, the interior seating alone is worth the price of admission. I'm 6'2", this is one of the only cars I've driven where the drivers seat is not slammed all the way back. Rear seat room is terrific, I consistently haul around my golf foursome on the weekend, my one buddy quit smoking and blew up like a tick, 50 pounds later, still no complaints.

Personally, I like the looks, the handling, the awd, the mpg, the lights, the stereo, the comfort, most everything...

I would disagree with the poster who thinks the handling of the MDX is far superior than the Mo. I've driven them both, the MDX is a fine SUV, but a sporty handler it's not.

As far as the AWD performance, I live in the snow belt and frequent my place "in the mountains" all winter long. Snow handling has never been an issue.

The $20 upgrade to winter blades eliminates the wiper problems.

There is no "perfect" anything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I *AM* doing it again!

I had my 2003 Murano rear-ended 3 weeks after I bought it in September 2003. No problems other than 3 month repair time. (No parts were available in the US at that time since it was so new.) 1 week after I got it out of the shop, so rogue landscaping truck ran a red light and T-Boned the Murano at well over 40 mph. It totalled the Murano, but I walked away without a scratch.

Since that time, I went through a few cars but I always wanted another Murano. Now that I'm married and we want to start a family, I needed the room (like you) and my A4 just didn't have the back seat room for a baby seat. So after looking at many SUVs (most of which were on your list) I am still drawn to the MO. So this Saturday, my wife and I will fly to Northern California and take delivery of a used 2004 Murano SL that's fully loaded including navigation, DVD and towing package and has only 20K miles. :D

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Do you think the transimission problems have been resolved with the 2005 or 2006?"

I have a 2003.
Would you tell me about the transmission problems?

BTW, I would buy another one.

I had 6 problems in the first 6 months. None related to the transmission, BTW. Haven't had any problems since then.
The 04 was better.
The 05 was better yet.
The 06 will likely be great.

Homer

·
Registered
118 Posts
In addition:

1. Drive train vibration due to very low cruising RPM.
2. AWD Lock cuts out at 6 mph.
3. Rear washer/wiper ineffective.
4. Warped DS mirror.
5. Door and window rattles.
6. Front license plate bracket too small - plate bends.
7. Turn signal not loud enough.
8. Roof rack cross bars not adjustable.
9. Front windshield washers - poor coverage.
10. Right side wiper has insufficient tension to clean window.
11. Linear power steering.
12. No timer for seat heaters.
13. Sunroof too small.
14. Poor radio reception.
15. Cigarette lighter power off when you leave the car.
16. General NVH problems.
17. Roof rack cross bars cause wind noise.
18. Thin paint.
19. Fly-by-wire gas pedal is too sensitive.
20. Brightness of dash and console lights poorly balanced.
21. Nissan service departments are terrible.
22. Weak CVT is very very expensive.
23. Etc., etc.

Otherwise it's a damn nice design.

The above are all nits, but they add up to some really curious design and engineering, at best. I actually like driving it most of the time, but I wouldn't buy another one. I'll keep it a few more years and then try the MDX or a newer CUV, before the CVT costs me $6000.

JeffC

·
Registered
470 Posts
JeffC said:
In addition:

1. Drive train vibration due to very low cruising RPM.
3. Rear washer/wiper ineffective.
4. Warped DS mirror.
5. Door and window rattles.
6. Front license plate bracket too small - plate bends.
7. Turn signal not loud enough.
9. Front windshield washers - poor coverage.
10. Right side wiper has insufficient tension to clean window.
13. Sunroof too small.
14. Poor radio reception.
17. Roof rack cross bars cause wind noise.
18. Thin paint.
19. Fly-by-wire gas pedal is too sensitive.
20. Brightness of dash and console lights poorly balanced.
21. Nissan service departments are terrible.
22. Weak CVT is very very expensive.

JeffC
I have none of the above problems on my 2005 SE except I agree on item 20. If you drive into a wall the license plate will bend on most cars.

I agree with the comments in the following article I found in another thread.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106...73a2021,00.html

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am not aware of any transmission issues with the Murano's CVT, even going back to the 2003 year.

As for issues I've had:

1) Alternator died (but handled by eventual recall)
2) Windows rattle
3) Sunvisor clips not secure
4) Less than advertised fuel economy (expected)
5) Driver seat creaks (repaired via TSB)

However as far as the Murano goes, it holds an edge against all competing crossovers int he following categories:

1) Smoothest powertrain (CVT is unbeatable)
2) "Sporty" handling (better than Pilot, Highlander, RX330, etc... anyways)
3) Roomy interior not compromised by useless 3rd row
4) Standard HID headlights on SE model (most other crossovers don't offer it, or have it as an expensive option)
5) Standard side curtains (again, optional on some others)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got a 2003 Murano, and I've been planning on trading it in on a 2006 Murano in the Spring. So, absolutely, I'd buy one again! :) I've had almost no problems with this vehicle, which I find amazing given that 2003 was its first production year. I just had my alternator replaced under the recall, and fortunately, I didn't have to experience an alternator failure.

The only thing that is making me reconsider my plans to buy another Murano is the quality (or lack thereof) of the service department for the only Nissan dealership in my city. Even though they just achieved "Owner First" status a few months ago, I've had considerable trouble with their service department. The next closest Nissan dealership is 45 miles away, and that particular dealership has an unacceptable rating from the Better Business Bureau. It's sad, because I have never enjoyed owning and driving a car as much as I have the Murano. My experience with the service department for the alternator repair wasn't quite as bad as my previous experiences, and I dealt with a new Service Advisor who seemed pretty competent....and the dealership itself is under new ownership....so I'm hoping this means that they'll be shaping things up. Anyway, I would suggest that you carefully check out the dealership near you before taking the plunge and make sure that they're folks you can work well with.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
If anyone thinks that any car is going to be perfect and without problems, then I have one acre of ocean front land in the best part of the moon for sale, cheap!

Why not join the forums for the "perfect" cars and find out what problems they really have. I am sure you will find quite a few who think they have a piece of junk.

For your requirements, I highly recommend the MO. Except for inconsistant Nissan service (which I think they are working on) I think this a great cross over. Personally I have not had any major issues with my MO and would buy another one in a heart beat. But don'y take it from me, see what the majority of MO owners are saying.

On the other hand...please don't buy a MO! It has become way too popular and I see too many of them on the road these days, which takes away from the "uniqueness" of mine......:4:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I am a relatively new member to the MO community. In fact I have been reviewing this forum longer than I have actually owned my MO.

The MO is a great car. It is not a perfect car by any measure, but it is a very well-designed and assembled automobile. In my opinion the MO is not worth the sticker price, but it is a decent value if you can get it for near dealer invoice.

After-sales support is a real problem affecting the Nissan community. The vast majority of the forum membership appear to be unsatisfied with their respective service departments. Check the posts and you will see very little praise directed at the service personnel.

I love owning and driving my Mo but am dreading the day when I need to deal with my service department.

Good Luck!!

-njjoe

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is only 1 (maybe 2) point that I listed that has not been mentioned on this BB by other owners.

This is a very good vehicle, especially for a warm weather climate like San Diego, but it could be a bit of a drag if you drive it up to Tahoe and get in a snow storm.

There are a lot of very good CUV's out there. This is one of them, despite its quirks.

Opinions vary.

JeffC

·
Registered
828 Posts
Buy again.
So many things to love, so many to hate.

The Mo by far fits large and tall people. There are so many choices for a vehicle but simple don't fit me comfortably. The Mo fits like a glove.

Usability, great has lots of room, rear seats fold flat with the front seats all the way back (see how many cars/SUVs do not).

Gas mileage not bad over 20 MPG. With a nice large gas tank.

Handling, not bad.

The hate,

Squeaks and rattles.
Then more squeaks and rattles.
Cheap plastic interior and cheap paint.

Dealerships (service) terrible, I have been to three so far and they all suc&.

I'm eyeing an X3/5 but price and gas mileage, and size are questionable.
Perhaps an FX but if I would to spend that much and end up with the same build quality and service for all that money!

MDX naw, Odyssey van with an SUV body, I have no need for a third row of seats.

Would I do it again, probably not.

My 2-cents.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts