Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife hit a deer.... how can i insure the insurance company/ body shop doesn't use "economy" parts? any guesses on cost?
picture is in my gallery, i couldn't upload it here...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ouch, as far as repairs, you may be able to order the parts from nissan and then present the insurance company with the bill.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
speedzracer said:
wife hit a deer.... how can i insure the insurance company/ body shop doesn't use "economy" parts? any guesses on cost?
picture is in my gallery, i couldn't upload it here...
Pull out your policy and read the fine print. Many policies allow for the use of non-OEM parts to keep down costs. If you want 100% OEM parts you may have to pay the difference.

-njjoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yap...
You pay the difference or the deer can pay the difference.
:12:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
speedzracer said:
wife hit a deer....
I think that hunters should be given a one time pass to blast as many deer as possible.

There are so many deer around here (western PA) that a quick drive on any interstate provides many, many, crunched carcasses to view. It only gets worse in the fall.

Millions in vehicle damage, potential loss of life, crop destruction, etc.

They breed like rabbits. :soapbox:

I hope your Wife is OK after that wreck.

Since the MO is relatively new, are there that many non OEM fenders and parts available?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you at least eat the deer? Might as well get something out of the deal. Maybe mount the head on the wall in the garage. Sorry about the MO. Does it really matter if the bumper or something similar is OEM? Are you or the future owner going to take it apart to make sure its OEM? I can understand some parts but others nobody will know.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you can usually tell if it's OEM buy the fit and finish(uniform gap spaces etc.)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
nissanlove said:
you can usually tell if it's OEM buy the fit and finish(uniform gap spaces etc.)
Fit and finish of body parts has much more to do with the installer than with the source.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not if the part is substandard.
If the part is not precise, the fit cannot be precise.
This stuff is called Taiwan Trash for a reason.

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Homer-

Granted, some of it is trash, but not all of it.

When I replaced the rear bumper on my Jeep GC, I was pleasantly surprised to see the manufacturer's markings on the replacement bumper (purchased from a body shop parts supplier) were identical to the OEM part it replaced. And the bumper cost about a third less than the OEM part from the dealer. Form, fit and function were identical to the OEM.

If I had a "garage queen" or a classic car, I would demand only genuine OEM parts, right down to the nuts and bolts. If I had a "beater", I would want the most "cost-effective" parts. The MO, being less than a year old, is closer to the former. In a couple of years, when it is approaching 50,000 miles I will opt for the latter.

With insurance rates climbing through the roof in New Jersey, you pay through the nose for a policy that provides for OEM parts only.

-njjoe

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Wow, sorry to see that picture. I hope your wife is ok. Re repairs, on my recent repair, insurance company estimates was based on the non-OEM part, but the prices they are using is much higher than let say internet prices. The prices they used was high enough to use all OEM parts and that what I did. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: cost

speedzracer said:
$11,200 damage. daummmm!!
Ouch!! That's some pretty expensive venison.

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Re: cost

njjoe said:

Ouch!! That's some pretty expensive venison.

-njjoe

Reminds me of my hubbys first wreck here in america - he had just come over from Holland. Hit a pheasant in a suped up Bradley GT 25 yrs ago. Car flipped a couple times - somehow he wasnt hurt.

The problem was the highway patrol officer arrested him when he kept saying he hit a peasant! Kept looking for a poor person - never did find the bird!

Expensive accident and my husband did finally learn the difference between a peasant and a pheasant!

a bit off topic - but deer here are horrid too. We have about 12 living in our woods.

crunch

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Leave it to us.......

Move to the country and complain about the animals.

What a great country!

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Re: Re: cost

crunchberry said:
Reminds me of my hubbys first wreck here in america - he had just come over from Holland. Hit a pheasant in a suped up Bradley GT 25 yrs ago. Car flipped a couple times - somehow he wasnt hurt.

crunch
Crunch-

That had to be one heck of a pheasant to flip a Bradley GT. You sure it wasn't a peasant? :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You're thinking of the little NJ Pheasant, joe.
Little state, little bird.

Here is a pheasant that was hit by a car just outside of Cleveland a few years ago............say, you don't suppose..........

Homer

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ahhh, now I understand.

Hey!, is that a grill from a kit car wrapped around that birds beak??

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
it was NOT my idea to move to country

hfelknor said:
Leave it to us.......

Move to the country and complain about the animals.

What a great country!

Homer
Not my idea - but now we have moved from complaining about the neighbors and no privacy to the crickets, bullfrogs and owls that keep us up all night! Actually I like the deer.....

Crunch

BTW - that picture of the pheasant is PRICELESS. I am sure my husband will say they finally found the bird that flipped his car!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts