Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which power inverters are you using, and are you having any video screen artifacts or excessive heat issues with yours?

Also, has anyone had any luck finding a hardware solution to integrating the XBox directly with the 12V DC power from the car?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok folks...I think I found a really good solution that does NOT involve a Power Inverter, but instead supplies 12V DIRECTLY to the XBOX via a DC-DC adapter, and bypasses the internal power supply entirely.

It requires a combination if two devices that someone on the MP3Car.com forums is using:

M1-ATX 90 Watt ATX Power Supply

and

Apache 2.6 ATX Power Source to XBOX Motherboard Power Converter

Now I just need a DC-DC converter for my LinkSys Wireless G Game Adapter...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, the Linksys WGA54G runs on 5V, 2.5amps. This Sony adapter converts to 4.5V or 6V (among others), but is only rated at 1.0 amps. Will this work, or will I be pushing the Amps too much?

Sony Car Adapter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, now I'm starting to look like I'm talking to myself...LOL...

Any reason why I can't tie into the 5 volts that are available off of the M1-ATX somehow?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The fine print at the end of page 4 of the M1-ATX user manual says that the 5v and 12v rails combined cannot exceed 50 Watts. So If you need 2.5 amps for your 5v rail, that means you are using 13 watts of power there, and will have 37 watts left for your 12v rail, or a maximum of 3 amps. I would leave one amp alone (safety factor) and use the rest. Is 2 amp on the 12 volt rail going to be enough for you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My electrical arithmetic is not good, but I did find a site that lists the power consumption for the XBox:

XBox DC-DC Power

But here are the numbers:

+12V for motherboard : 0.05A - 0.6A (peak 2.1A)
+5V for motherboard : 2.5A - 12.7A (peak 17.5A)
+3.3V for motherboard : 1A - 4.8A (peak 6.5A)
+12V for HDD : 0A - 0.6A (peak 2.9A)
+5V for HDD : 0A - 0.5A (peak 1.5A)
+3VSB : 0mA - 20mA (peak 50mA)

Plus the Wireless Adapter's numbers:

+5V: 2.5A

Am I still ok, since the M1-ATX provides 90w total and 50w to the 5V and 12V rails?

Also, it looks like a new version with more power on the 12V rail is being developed:

M2-ATX

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I am not an expert on this but from your numbers it seems to me your power consumption will be as follows:

Minimum load:
12 v rail = .05 Amps or 1 watts
5 v rail = 2.5 Amps or 12.5 watts
3.3 v rail = 1 Amps or 3.3 watts
3 v rail = 0 mA or 0 watts
Total: 16.8 watts

Maximum load:
12 v rail = 1.2 Amps or 14.4 watts
5 v rail = 15.7 Amps or 78.5 watts
3.3 v rail = 4.8 Amps or 15.84 watts
3 v rail = 20 mA or 1 watts
Total: 109.74

Obviously M1-ATX is not going to be powerfull enough to handle the x-box at full load. It looks like it will do the job at minimum load but I think your true consumption is going to be somewhere in the middle, around 65 watts or so. As long as you do not exceed 50 watts for 12v and 5v rails combined, it may work but it is going to be tricky!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like I should just keep the Wireless Adapter on it's own, and not try to use the M1-ATX to power it. Radio shack makes both a 4.5V and 6.0V cigarette ligher adapter, so which one am I better off with to provide 5.0V?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
MCowher said:
Radio shack makes both a 4.5V and 6.0V cigarette ligher adapter, so which one am I better off with to provide 5.0V?
That would be a question for someone with more knowledge in electronics than I have....:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts