Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned that using the autolight system for my headlights will reduce their life.

According to the owner's manual, "The life of xenon headlights will be shortened by frequent on-off operation. It is generally desirable not to turn off the headlights for short intervals (for example, when the vehicle stops at a traffic signal)."

With the autolight system, my headlights come on every time I start the car in the garage or drive into the garage. Presumably, they will also turn on and off when I go through certain tunnels or under certain overpasses. To preserve their life, I have been operating my headlights in the manual mode.

Has anybody else considered this?

·
Registered
719 Posts
To answer your question, many, many times. If you do a search you'll see several rather lengthy discussions on the topic.

I believe most feel this is a "flaw" in all of Nissan's headlight control sequence design.

From my recollection, most are just switching the headlights from auto to off before they pull in the garage (at least that's what I'm doing).

The design of the switch is still the same as my 00 Maxima SE which was purchased in late 1999, so I doubt there's a fix or re-design coming anytime soon...........

·
Registered
289 Posts
Has anyone researched about frogging the auto and manual leads
from the switch?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I covered the light sensor and just use the AUTO setting to turn my lights on and off. IMO, if you can't be bothered to turn your lights on when you need to, you should let someone else drive. However, I didn't want to go past AUTO (and hence cycle the lights) every time I went from OFF to ON and back.

I don't see myself forgetting my lights on since I look back at the Murano to admire just how nice it looks every time I walk away from it :)

Now, all that aside... these sorts of questions really come down to how long you will own the car. If, like many people, you are going to trade in 2-3 years, you have nothing to worry about. This is the 3rd car I've had with HIDs and neither of the other two (2000 IS300, 2001 S2000) ever had a ballast or bulb go bad after 3 years.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the svc man but can't find the wiring diagram for the combination (headlight) switch that shows lead designation and
color code. Can someone try and find it and tell me the page.
I think that I do want to switch the parking,auto,manual positions
on the switch.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I have just spent some time studying it and I can't tell. If you could get to the connector and remove one wire at a time you could probably determine which one it is. Looks like page Lt137 combination switch M29.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
There are no leads (wires). The switch (actually all the switches on the column) is directly tied into a matrix which is read by the BCM.

·
5,100 Posts
What do you mean by a matrix, (no this is not a matrix reloaded question) is the interface some sliding connectors? what is the stuff I referenced that the manual shows?

·
Registered
289 Posts
LT137-M29 is what I had found, but they don't identify the leads coming out of the switch. I may just use a probe to see whats hot in what position.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The combination switch is the matrix, and encoded leads go directly from the switch to the BCM computer. There are no discrete individual wires that you can use or manipulate.

·
5,100 Posts
If you follow the "electron trail" you might run into a connector somewhere. Now that the rain has quit I hope to go out tonight and aim the driving lights and readjust the fog point also. I really did appreciate your big time assistance. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Grip Don't forget to snug the driving lights,horizontal and verticaly after aiming. The M29 is the connector, I wonder if the leads use a digital signal to talk to the BCM.

·
5,100 Posts
Snug I will all 8 little guys. A scope would tell wish I had one I would lend it to you.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Adding to HAlo's post...

Now, all that aside... these sorts of questions really come down to how long you will own the car. If, like many people, you are going to trade in 2-3 years, you have nothing to worry about. This is the 3rd car I've had with HIDs and neither of the other two (2000 IS300, 2001 S2000) ever had a ballast or bulb go bad after 3 years.
The first indication of HID bulb "aging" is the light output become less bright and the color become funky (less bluish white and shift to yellow light output faster when you turn it on).
You dont want this right?

So turning the hid bulb on and off "shorten" its life. The bulbs are not necessarily go south when their life are shorten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts