Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new 2004 Murano SL AWD last week. NAV, Touring, Dynamic Control, Sheer Silver, Cafe interior.

I noticed that the xenon headlight beam coming from the left side is slightly shorter than the one coming from the right. So the light pattern is not a perfect curve on the road.

Adjusting the light levels does not help.

Do you know if this is done intentionally to reduce glare on oncoming traffic. If so how do I adjust both sides to be the same level.

I have seen other cars with xenon headlamps but both beams on those are aligned on the road.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It is done intentionally to reduce the possibility of glare for oncoming drivers. IMO, it is adjusted down too much.

It is adjustable with the small white bolt/screw directly on the back of the headlight fixture (under the hood). Take you all of 5 minutes.

I adjusted mine on the first day or two so that they are almost perfectly level now (based on shining on my garage door from the driveway) and I have never been "flashed" by another oncoming driver, even when I have the interior switch set at the highest position.

·
Registered
466 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
It is done intentionally to reduce the possibility of glare for oncoming drivers. IMO, it is adjusted down too much.

It is adjustable with the small white bolt/screw directly on the back of the headlight fixture (under the hood). Take you all of 5 minutes.

I adjusted mine on the first day or two so that they are almost perfectly level now (based on shining on my garage door from the driveway) and I have never been "flashed" by another oncoming driver, even when I have the interior switch set at the highest position.
I'm going to go try that today....thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you want to adjust the lights, I would recommend you adjust both sides up the same amount, but not the same level. I get annoyed when I see normal halogens misaimed and blinding me, I would not want to do the same with HID's to other drivers. The projectors of the Murano are not as "blinding" peripherally (as to oncoming traffic) as reflectors, so maybe leveling both of them is ok, I dunno. I adjusted both mine up the same amount on both sides, while preserving the lower left side cutoff. I love the results. Its not BMW HID bright, but its pretty good for a Nissan!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your quick responses. Now I am sure there are no problems with my Murano. While leaving the headlights at different levels is intentionally good, I would rather set them both at the same level and reduce the overall level of the lights using the manual levelizer so oncoming traffic is not affected. Anyways the headlight from Murano is not annoying compared to the xenon lghts from few other vehicles.

I found the white hexogonal screw and will carefully tune the left to be at the same level as the right.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Please use the search feature before making new posts. Starting new posts makes it harder for members who actually use the search feature. Thanks! Just a FYI! :)

·
5,268 Posts
murano123,

look at the following thread. You may find it useful.

HID alignment

·
Registered
186 Posts
dklanecky1 said:

Which way is up...which way is down? (left or right turn of the screw?)

·
5,268 Posts
clockwise is up.........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am putting it back the way it was. I got wierd results when I tried o up the left light. The middle portion of the light pattern looks like two different light sources are interfering.

·
5,268 Posts
murano123,
yes, you should see two horizontal lines in the middle. it is normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get flashed so many times when I'm driving the MO at night, it is kinda funny. I double checked to make sure my lights weren't aimed too high and they are fine. I left the drivers-side light lower after reading this thread.

I was listing to a radio show here in DFW called "Wheels." It's hosted by a retired car salesman name Ed Wallace. He also writes for the Ft. Worth paper and does some independent stuff for some car magazines. Anyways, he was talking about HID lights, focusing on the benefits and dangers. He said, the main benefit wasn't the increased lighting but the increased contrast you see outside when the lights are on. You have a better definition of what is around you. Quite right IMO, you can notice every blade of grass along the side of the road while driving. However, the big danger is to other drivers that are in the oncoming traffic and have astigmatism. The wavelength of the light from HIDs can really screw with drivers that have bad astigmatism.

Ed wasn't putting HIDs down, he was just making the point that car owners with HIDs just need to be careful with aiming them.

BTW, Ed compaired the MO more to a small Minivan than an SUV. He said, it isn't a good SUV or a good Minivan. However, there is just that, "something" about it that makes is so cool. In other words, he couldn't quite define the car, but he liked none the less.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of the other xenon lights coming out from Mercedez etc are way more brighter and distracting than the Xenon from the Murano. MO's lights are little more suttle and cooler.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I Agree with Wallace Sgt

We came out of a Minivan.
It was a Chrysler Town and Country LXI. Loaded with everything that was available in 97.
We loved it.
The ONLY thing that we didn't like was the long wheel base.
But in 97 the only way to get the Short WB was to buy the LX.
The LX did NOT have Everything.

We did NOT want the traditional SUV.
With all due respect to the people on this board (who jab Minivans every chance the get) the Minivan is inherently a much better vehicle for most people than a truck.
We got 24.3 MPG on trips (75MPH), 19MPG around town. We unloaded the seats (This is why we did not go Chryco again!) and put all of our "stuff" back there when we traveled.
Didn't know which coat to take? Take all 4 of them. ;)
So we went down to buy a Quest.
However, I will never buy a car (I know, never say never) with the speedometer over where the radio should be.
So we were leaving when we saw the MO>

I kinda liked it. It was the same length as a SWB minivan.
But it had better power than the Chryco. (about the same as the Honda and Toyota and Quest). and the tranny once covered by an extended warranty interested me.
But when the guy dropped the seats FROM THE BACK! I was sold. All it had to do was complete a test drive without falling apart and it was a done deal.
When you drop the seats, and you have that wonderful flat floor. you have what looks like a small minivan! From the drivers seat with that acre or so of flat dash in front of you (Chryco called it "cab forward") you KNOW that you are in a Mini.
But it is a 5 seater.
And it doesn't "look" like a mini from the OUTSIDE.

Even on the inside.........
when you put the seats up, you have what looks like a mid sized sports sedan.
Well, we didn't know what it was (We rejected the salesman's attempt to call it an SUV out of hand) "I've seen SUVs Senator, and this is no SUV":rolleyes:

Yes it is like a Sports Minivan.
What it was, was, the perfect tourer.
It was the HomerMobile!

Now if it would stop rattling like a cheap mexican pickup truck.........

Homer

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Just out of curiosity, why the jump from Chrysler to Nissan?"

Didn't want a car. Will never drive with my ass dragging the ground again.

1- Chrysler has not changed their Mini since 97. You had to remove the rear and middle seats (2 captains) to get the flat floor. The rear seat is a two person job.
AND your seats are gone until you return home.

2- Didn't like AT ALL the "normal SUVs". Didn't like AT ALL the GM clones or the FORD things. (I'm not against GM or Ford. My two most favorite cars of all time were an 88 Vette and an 89 Mustang Convertible.)

3- I thought all Japanese Vehicles were flawless. Esp the big 3.
That's what every Japanese aficionado told me while dissing my American cars.

4- I liked the Murano a lot more than the Highlander or the Pilot.
They were both very fine, But boring. And they both looked like a truck. I don't do the Faux Trucker thing like the little boys do.

Homer

·
Registered
148 Posts
hfelknor said:

1- Chrysler has not changed their Mini since 97. You had to remove the rear and middle seats (2 captains) to get the flat floor. The rear seat is a two person job.
AND your seats are gone until you return home.

Did you know that the 2005 Chryler minivans will have both 2nd and 3rd row seating that folds flat into the floor?

Also, when the seats are unfolded, you can used the wells in the floor as storage bins.

To make this happen, Chrysler has eliminated the AWD option from their minivans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts