·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
XM Expands Service With Nissan
Monday January 31, 10:54 am ET
XM Satellite Radio Expands Service With Nissan to Include Data Service

WASHINGTON (AP) -- XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. reported Monday that Nissan North America Inc. chose the satellite radio company to provide data and traffic services for its vehicles in an expansion of their current relationship.
The U.S. unit of Nissan Motor Co. offers XM's radio service as an option on all Nissan and Infiniti models. The new service includes in-vehicle messaging and XM NavTraffic, a traffic data and navigation system.

XM currently offers the NavTraffic service in the 2005 Acura RL and the 2005 Cadillac CTS and plans to offer the service as an aftermarket option in the spring.

In morning trading, XM shares rose 16 cents to $31.93 and Nissan American depositary shares rose 3 cents to $21.22 on the Nasdaq.

Watch out Acura, here comes Nissan with live traffic on a NAV screen! I wonder how long this will take to make it through the manufacturing process?

·
Registered
629 Posts
dklanecky1 said:

XM currently offers the NavTraffic service in the 2005 Acura RL and the 2005 Cadillac CTS and plans to offer the service as an aftermarket option in the spring.
Wow, that's interesting. I didn't thing GM (Cadillac) used anything except OnStar...

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: XM Expands service with Nissan

special-k said:

Wow, that's interesting. I didn't thing GM (Cadillac) used anything except OnStar...
Maybe XM owns OnStar, or the other way arpund?!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if this can be adapted to current Mo's with Nav and XM, or if it requires an over haul or simply a new DVD. Does anyone know if there's and added cost for the live traffic updates?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mozman said:
Does anyone know if there's and added cost for the live traffic updates?
The current traffic information is free for the markets covered.

I wondered the same thing and from what I read on the XM web site, it sounds like they'll be charging extra for the information when it's incorporated into the NAV unit.

I also noticed that Acura uses the NAVTECH maps the same as Nissan so we won't be the lone rangers in pioneering this technology. (I bet it shows up first on an Infiniti.)

I'm not however in one of the top 20 markets.

I think Milwaukee is maybe somewhere around 25th in size.:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts