Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of XM Sat Radio and during my test drive of the Murano I noticed the Bose radio has a mode switch for satilite radio.

Does anybody know if this Bose Radio is "XM ready" or "Sirrus ready". My dealer was clueless and there is no mention of satilite radio on the web site.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are add-on options for XM Radio and Sirrus Radio, but I can't remember how much the options cost (whatever the price, Sirrus and XM are the same price.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't see any mention of this at the dealership where I bought (SL AWD with everything) or on the Nissan website as an option to add. However, a while ago you could find mention of Satellite Radio options for the Murano online at places like Edmunds, etc.

There were two options, each the same price -- around $350 plus monthly charges (although I think sites said you get your first month or two for free). I just looked on Edmunds, however, and can't find it anymore (it was listed in the options section for Murano pricing). Maybe they nixed it for this year?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I doubt they nixed it. The Nissan website still doesn't let you build your own Murano. My guess is they're just a little behind the curve considering the advertising officially started today. The option will likely be available this year but who knows when?

·
Registered
3 Posts
:x No satellite radio right now. Apparently Nissan USA felt the cabling used for satellite connections on its 2003 models were not up to QA. To that end, I have been told it may be 2004 before they get the bugs worked out. So the satellite button on the system is just an aggravation to see there--a more than prominent "tease" we owners have no control over. :cry:

·
4,664 Posts
Being in the Radio Frequency Test and Measurement business, I would suspect that statement you got from Nissan USA, as being a large steamy load of crap.

I find it very difficult to believe that Nissan USA would reject a source of revenue for something like that, and just as difficult to believe that Nissan Japan is unable to provide the correct wiring to make it happen.

Sounds like a made up excuse to cover off some other issue.

But hey, I could be wrong! I just don't believe that Nissan Japan is that inept. (But I would believe that Nissan USA, is...)

First reaction... Hopefully they will (magically) get it fixed! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life...just in case anyone hears any confirmed info on XM hardware availability in the Murano...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still wonder what that means, though.

Is there ANY XM-ready hardware installed in the current Murano?

Will Nissan provide a "plug-and-play" hardware solution for us? (i.e. an antenna & tuner)

The head unit already understands that satellite radio CAN exist. How?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure there will be a receiver module and antenna that will be purchased for the $350 or so that it costs. The head unit is XM ready so i'm sure the module will not be visible and all features will be controlled by the existing radio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's the current rub and the question I would love the "official" answer to.

Is the current Murano Bose head-unit actually "XM-Ready" in the same sense that aftermarket Alpine or Kenwood head unit are "XM-Ready?"

(i.e. if I buy an XM-ready Alpine head unit, it will provide the controls for the rrequired add-on XM-tuner and antenna in order to be played through the actual RCA level output, not FM modulated or cassette-adapter solution)

THAT is the burning question... :?:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought I already answered that. I also think you just answered your own question with the example of the Alpine head unit. Why would the Murano head unit have a "SAT" button if it didn't provide the controls? The manual clearly illustrates the functions of the head unit for satellite radio operation.

Wait for the "official" answer from Nissan if you want, but what you will purchase as a dealer installed option will be the XM tuner and antenna and use the existing head unit to control the tuning. I'd be surprised if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
And yes, I'm sure that there is an RCA input or digital input on the back of the head unit. The head unit would not have satellite radio controls if the solution was FM Modulation or cassette.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a warning for you guys. When the xm option does come out, be careful and make sure it states that it will directly work off of the stock head unit. When my family bought a 2001 maxima, we asked for the cd changer we saw in the 2000 (it did work with the head unit controls), and they installed an rf one and claimed that we never specified which cd changer to install. Just a word of caution. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is part of the response I got from Bose when I asked if the head-unit was truly "satellite-ready" by my definition above. Sadly, I did not get an affirmative answer:

I have contacted our market department and I believe the SAT button on the radio is for XM satellite however I cannot confirm the timeframe of when the service will be available.

My best suggestion is to keep in touch with the Nissan dealer and Nissan
Customer Assistance for the latest available information.

An of course, feel free to contact me at any time for an update.

In answer to your question regarding after market systems.

After-market satellite radios can be used with existing installed systems
three different ways:

1. Through a head unit's auxiliary line input (head units manufactured to work with the factory-installed Bose Music Systems do not have this input).
2. Through an FM modulator connection in the head unit.
3. Through a cassette interface which uses the tape head for an input.

We have a found Sony kit which provides an FM connection (DRN-XM01R) or cassette adapter (DRN-XM01C): your choice. Both kits also include an
antenna for receiving the satellite signal. The line output of the Sony
satellite receiver connects to the FM modulator or the cassette adapter.

These are available through Crutchfield for $350 for FM version, and $300
for the cassette version.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8C8UzkhaS6K/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XM01R&s=0

With a Bose unit, it is preferable to use the FM modulator, followed by the
cassette version.

·
Registered
116 Posts
:(

Bad news folks, at least for those hoping to get the dealer-installed XM radio.

I just called Nissan Customer Service, and after doing some research, the representative told me that there will no longer be a dealer-installed XM radio option for the Murano. The system is pre-wired for one, but he said that they never found a unit suitable for the system, so if you want XM radio, you will have to buy an aftermarket solution.

I wasn't planning on using XM radio, but it would have been cool to be able to use the head unit to control it sometime in the future. Now, you'll just have to have another piece of hardware installed in your car if you want it. I guess the good thing is that if you've been waiting for the XM option, you can now go out and buy an aftermarket receiver and start using it now. Another good thing about the aftermarket receivers is that they can also be used with a home stereo.

I hope that answers everyone's question regarding the XM radio option for the Murano. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The confusion continues....

My conversation with Nissan was as follows.

The Murano is NOT pre-wired for sattelite radio (XM or Sirius). Since the SAT wiring was a PORT INSTALLED OPTION they did not want to compromise the launch of the vehicle. PORT options I guess do not have the same level of QA as the factory and with all the dissassembly required to install the wiring, antenna and tuner I suppose they were concerned with problems arising that could affect the initial launch and customer satisfaction.

I understand that Nissan VP's sent a memo to dealers on January 3rd to notify sales people but no one I have talked to at multiple dealerships has ever recieved this.

The Consumer Information Rep at Nissan told me that the memo stated that the issue is being addressed. The head unit is made by Clarion for Nissan and they are in talks to provide a solution that would integrate with the head unit and display panel and work with either SAT RADIO provider. But the rep also stated that the memo mentioned that the fix would not be in the near future and that there is no aftermarket solution other than cassette adapter or FM Modulator.

My next stop is Clarion. Since Clarion makes the head unit they may just have a CeNet connection on it which would work with a Clarion tuner (Sirius Only) Who knows. I will post back with any additional info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, there's yet another contradiction or they are not using the same terminology when they say "pre-wired." I think we have all determined that there is no satellite tuner or satellite antenna already installed in the Murano.

We still have not determined that the Clarion head-unit is or is not satellite-ready. (i.e. plug in a Clarion Sirius tuner and antenna and it can be controlled via the Murano head-unit without having to utilize an FM modulator or cassette adaptor.)

Or, did I miss something??

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you have it right owner. It sounds like MuralOrb will contact Clarion to determine what type of connection, if any, the head unit has regarding the use of a tuner and antenna. It's too bad though that the Clarion tuner is Sirius only.

Even so, when all is said and done, if you want it now, go out and buy the Sony or Delphi units and start using them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts