Votes: 0 0.0%
  • neither is worth the price

Votes: 3 15.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only seen one post on Sirius but lots on XM. I have Sirius through Dish Network in the house and really like the selection. (The Elvis Channel - all Elvis all the time!) Too bad I don't like Elvis. Anyway, I am leaning towards Sirius in the Murano that I will be purchasing in a few months, but would like some feedback on the pros and cons between these choices.:18:

(Sorry I messed up the second choice in the poll I set up....)

·
4,601 Posts
That's ok, I fixed it so it says XM instead of SM....:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Sirius in my Murano and after taking a couple of trips with my wife she decided that she wanted Satellite radio in her 350Z.

I printed out the channel listings for both Sirius and XM and she opted for XM. Less than a week later she comes in and tells me she hates XM (so do I) and wants Sirius.

Fortunately, the place I purchased the tuner will do a straight swap. Now we'll both have Sirius.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
MarkY said:
I printed out the channel listings for both Sirius and XM and she opted for XM. Less than a week later she comes in and tells me she hates XM (so do I) and wants Sirius.
Can you please elaborate on WHY you both preferred Sirius? Was it programming, reception, what?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Corin said:

Can you please elaborate on WHY you both preferred Sirius? Was it programming, reception, what?
It was the programming, reception for both services is very good.

One reason I like Sirius is because of the variety of talk radio which I like to listen to on my commute to work in the morning.

The reason my wife and I both hate XM is because of the music channel programming. First, the commercials are aggravating. I also find the DJ's more annoying on XM than on Sirius.

Second, and the biggest reason we dislike XM, is because of the obscure song lists they play. We enjoy listening to 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s music as well as current hits. The problem we had with XM is that most of their playlists are side "B" material.

We want to listen to music "hits" from years ago, not some "B" side song from years ago. It wasn't a hit THEN for a reason, why the hell do I want to hear it now.

Some people say that you tend to hear the same songs on Sirius more frequently than on XM. I believe that is true. However, their playlists are quite large and you don't hear the same songs that often. Besides, with the variety of channels, you hardly ever hear the same songs unless you're glued to the same channel constantly.

On another note, I've spoken with at least a dozen people that have switched from XM to Sirius. All of them are much happier. I've yet to speak to someone that went from Sirius to XM, although I'm sure they're out there.

Good luck with what you decide. I know you can sample some of Sirius' stations on their website, and I believe you can do the same at XM's. Once you're a subscriber to Sirius, you can have the music streamed to your PC. I use this feature at home when I'm working out.

·
4,601 Posts
I've wondered what Sirius is like, as I don't find XM progressive enough. There are times, when a certain programmer must be hitting Lucy, Fred, Ethel and whatever else and the programming gets really good, but most of the time, I'm searching for something a bit better. I often find myself on the Joint, listening to Reggae.

I have to admit, I'm spoiled as Toronto has a very progressive music scene and I'm used to it... I'll often flip off of XM to a local station, CFNY, that goes by "The Edge" but originally went by the "The Spirit of Radio". ( Yes, it is what Rush sings about in the song of the same name....) But when the commercials get heavy, I'm back on XM and if it's sucking, then off to the CD's.

Really like to get a car PC going with MP3's... And I want the artist and song title on the display, so I guess I'll have to do it myself... That's the one thing I love about SAT.... I'll hear something new, and look to see who and the track name, so I can go get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are helpful responses! I have been leaning toward Sirius.
The poll responses seem to reflect an XM preference so far.
Thanks!

·
4,601 Posts
I went with XM initially due to lower cost, more subscribers, and a fear that Sirius was not stable enough to survive, but hey, things change...

Both are applying to provide services in Canada which would change the channel selection available here. I'm looking forward to it...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I know it's only on the aftermarket unit but XM for me beacuse of the Stock ticker. GRIP :D

·
4,994 Posts
Just thought of another reason to go XM, NO Howard! GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
Well Howard's easy to skip over, just like the other 80 channels of useless junk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to go with XM because wife wanted NASCAR channel. In fact that was main reason for buying it. Don't know what I'll do when NASCAR moves to Sirius in 2007.

·
4,994 Posts
I love Sunny 924) and the 60's especially. The weather for my city is also wonder and the Stock ticker, NEATO!!! GRIP :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts