Nissan Murano Forum banner

Yakima and Factory Rails

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Stanmo 
#1 ·
FYI

After a trip to REI and a few calls to Yakima I have gathered the information which I would like to share with the forum. I am a skiier, thus need to attach my equipment to the roof and by going to the Yakima website I couldn't find any information on using the factory crossbars with ski/snowboard racks.

Yakima: You have 2 choices to attach equipment to the roof. They offer LowRiders that clip to the Roof Rails which will take 58" round crossbars, to which the rest of Yakima attachments can be added (Powderhound, etc).

If you have factory crossbars -- after talking to a representative, I was told to use Yakima Mighty Mounts model 9V to attach the Powderhound or similar (I tried the old Yakima ski rack and it worked too).

If you are attaching a bike rail to the crossbars, you need to make sure your Copperhead or Steelhead rail is compatible with the 9V mighty mounts, if it is, you are all set.

9V price range is between $22-$25 for 4.

I hope this helps somebody.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
OEM roof rails

I use the OEM roof rails and mount my Yakima Rocket Box to them and have no problems. I sometimes have up to 6 pairs of ski's and snow boards ( for the dark side skiers ) and they handle the weight with no problem.

#3 ·
cross bars

I just bougth a bike and am looking to find a good way to haul it. I don't have the tow package so I guess only good way to haul it is on top. I don't have cross bars. All I have is the roof rails. I went on the yakima website and wasn't able to find no cross bars. where do I get those? Is there another alternative? You said that LowRiders clip to the Roof Rails which will take 58" round crossbars but where do I get the cross bars? What would be the total price to get all this done?

#4 ·
Re: cross bars

myMoo said:
I just bougth a bike and am looking to find a good way to haul it. I don't have the tow package so I guess only good way to haul it is on top. I don't have cross bars. All I have is the roof rails. I went on the yakima website and wasn't able to find no cross bars. where do I get those? Is there another alternative? You said that LowRiders clip to the Roof Rails which will take 58" round crossbars but where do I get the cross bars? What would be the total price to get all this done?
You may want to look at getting the OEM hitch ( it is easy to install) so that you can mount your bikes behind your Mo. This is also easier to load bikes at ground level and it will alos reduce the wind resistance and noise on the Hwy.

#5 ·
Bike hauling

Yakima has Low Riders that clip to the roof rails of your MO. 58" round bars - are the cross bars that serve as anchors for attaching either a Copperhead rail or Steelhead rail for the bike.

Bars are about $50, Low Riders $130

#6 ·
Doc:

The rear hitch that Stoker refers to as "stock" is the Hidden Hitch aftermarket. For some reason, Nissan Canada decided to forego the true stock hitch put on at the factory in Japan and go with the unlabeled HH hitch. In the U.S., the factory hitch is NOT an easy install, involving complete removal of the bumper fascia and metal face bar. The stock hitch requires the installation of a different metal face bar with notches cut in for the arms of the hitch. This is because the factory hitch sits up higher and is hidden behind the bumper fascia with only the receiver and electrical plug showing.

All that said, HH makes a very nice tubular receiver that is very straightforward to install. So Stoker's suggestion may work for you. As for top mountings, you can also look at Thule's "low profile" footers that mount onto the Mo's factory rails. The footers will then hold square tube Thule crossbars in a length similar to Yakima's. Costs for the entire set up are comparable to Yakima's.

As an avid skier (and member of NSP), I use a Thule Frontier box on the factory cross rails. It will hold six pairs of skis and poles protected from the elements. That's my four pair, and the wife's one with room to spare!

#7 ·
I have serveral questions...you said that the tubular HH receiver is an easy install? How is that done? I have an SL and I did take a quick look under the bumper and there is a big muffler right there. How would the receiver fit here? Would it go over it (there doesn't seem any room there for that), under the muffler or perhaps horizontally around it on both sides? Also, how many bolts are there? 6? Are most hitches bolted on or welded to the frame? What's better? I just don't want to hear any rattles or noises coming from there.

Now, as for the yakima/thula racks, how bad is the wind noise on the hwy? Does a fairing make a big difference, I would image so..? I don't want to hear noise when I am crusing in my Moo. Anyways, thanks a lot for your imput - this forum is great.

#8 ·
Yakima and factory rails

myMoo said:
I have serveral questions...you said that the tubular HH receiver is an easy install? How is that done? I have an SL and I did take a quick look under the bumper and there is a big muffler right there. How would the receiver fit here? Would it go over it (there doesn't seem any room there for that), under the muffler or perhaps horizontally around it on both sides? Also, how many bolts are there? 6? Are most hitches bolted on or welded to the frame? What's better? I just don't want to hear any rattles or noises coming from there.

Now, as for the yakima/thule racks, how bad is the wind noise on the hwy? Does a fairing make a big difference, I would image so..? I don't want to hear noise when I am crusing in my Moo. Anyways, thanks a lot for your imput - this forum is great.
The only noise that I hear is when the rails and ski box is on the roof. This is only because I have the sun roof, once I close the moon roof cover I do not hear any noise except the great tunes from my stero.

I am surprise that the US hitch is different from the Canadian models, but that goes along with the trailer wiring difference between the two countries. The hitch sits right in front of the muffler, it is also great protection for people who like to follow to close and have to eat the hitch in a rear end accident

Who ever decided on those two systems should be shor and P.... on

#10 ·
Using a trailer bike rack that fits into this, which is bolted on. This is the Hidden Hitch and I managed to put it on without even undoing the muffler hanger.

Attachments

#11 ·
myMoo - the HH hitch (as with almost all hitches) is bolted on. I don't have the HH hitch - I have the factory Nissan one (the real one!). Its also bolted on with lock washers. You shouldn't have to worry about rattles with the hitch receiver. It needs to be mounted and tightened to some spec that keeps it tight. If you hear rattles from the receiver, you got bigger problems than the noise (like a hitch that may fall off!). You may hear rattles with stuff mounted to the hitch (like a ball or bike rack). That's natural and not much can be done about it - besides, not a big deal.

As for mounting the HH, others with that hitch have noted that it can be done without lowering the muffler (see jaak's post immediately preceding). I'm sure they can help if you get stuck with the install.

As for windnoise, you can tell when my Thule Frontier box is on the car, but that's about it. Can't speak to the rack systems as mine are factory crossbars and I've not noticed any undue noise.

#12 ·
Thanks, really helpful. I think I will go with receiver/hitch route, it seems like it be more useful down the road. Jaak, do you by any chase have the model number/part number on that receiver? Also, wow, that's a nice bike. I also have a Giant, except mine is a rincon with alivio derailleurs (front and back). It's quite a step down from yours but I am just getting into mountain biking so I got time to upgrade.

#14 ·
The Murano is rated to tow a maximum of 3500 pounds. That's Class II territory. The factory hitch is rated to 300 pounds tongue weight and 3,500 tow. Most Class II hitch receivers are 1.25 inch by 1.25 inch. The factory hitch is 2 inch by 2 inch - more consistent with a Class III. You'll generally find more accessories available for 2x2 receivers versus 1.25x1.25. Just keep in mind the tow limits of the vehicle.

Go to Etrailer's website and you'll find a lot of info on hitches, etc. You can also do a search on the forums using the term "Hidden Hitch" for other listers experiences.

#16 ·
The Murano hitch is a class III hitch. It has a standard 2 inch receiver and can tow 3500 pounds with a max tongue weight of standard 10% (350 pounds).

I personally installed the OEM hitch because I often tow a huge 4 wheels trailer with electric brakes, close to the limit of the class III hitch and the OEM hitch is quite tougher than the aftermarket I could get here in Canada. I usually install 2 torsion bars to my setup so I don't want to end up with a bent hitch...

#17 ·
Yakima Lowriders with 58" crossbars and a Yakima BigPowerhound that carries 6 skis and a few ski boards

#18 ·
OEM Roof Rails and Crossbars

Stoker,

I just want to verify that you were able to mount your Yakima Rocket Box on the factory cross-bars without any additional hardware from Yakima. Did you mount the box directly to the cross-bars with the box clamps that came with your Rocket Box?

I ask because I have a Yakima Space Cadet that will will just clear my garage opening if I mount it directly to the OEM cross-bars. If I buy the Yakima low riders with their bars I believe it will raise it higher than the factory bars and not clear the opening.

Yakima customer service also said that the factory hardware is not recommended with their boxes. I take thier comment as self-serving and I am skeptical of it.

Can you give me an idea of how much weight you are carrying and have you driven with it at full freeway/expressway speed? Nissan claims a 100 pound limit. Previously I had my box on a Pathfinder and sometimes cruised at 80 and did some passing at higher speed when necessary.

You comments, or anyone else who has factory cross-bar experinces, are welcome.

Thanks,

Stanmo

#19 ·
Re: OEM Roof Rails and Crossbars

Stanmo said:
Stoker,

I just want to verify that you were able to mount your Yakima Rocket Box on the factory cross-bars without any additional hardware from Yakima. Did you mount the box directly to the cross-bars with the box clamps that came with your Rocket Box?

I ask because I have a Yakima Space Cadet that will will just clear my garage opening if I mount it directly to the OEM cross-bars. If I buy the Yakima low riders with their bars I believe it will raise it higher than the factory bars and not clear the opening.

Yakima customer service also said that the factory hardware is not recommended with their boxes. I take thier comment as self-serving and I am skeptical of it.

Can you give me an idea of how much weight you are carrying and have you driven with it at full freeway/expressway speed? Nissan claims a 100 pound limit. Previously I had my box on a Pathfinder and sometimes cruised at 80 and did some passing at higher speed when necessary.

You comments, or anyone else who has factory cross-bar experinces, are welcome.

Thanks,

Stanmo
I can confirm that that I mounted my ski box directly to the OEM cross bars and that it just clears a 6' garage door opening.
The clamps that I got when I bought the box over tens years ago were custom made vas they did not fit my crossbars on my 92 caravan.

When I mounted it this year I was able to get a 4" clamps ( 4" long) and they cleared the bars. I will try to get a picture of my box in thge next few days. Please remeber That in Canada we get differanr crossbars than you get in the USA, and I cannot remember if some on posted them or not.

Don't know about the weight limit but I have been able to get 6pairs of skis and 2 snowboards on board with now problem. I use my box for general cargo in the summer with no problem. I think that you will find that no one will what to give an upper limit on wieght capacity in case it breaks the cross bars or box, any engineer part will have a safety factor built in.

I have travelled on the highway at different speeds and have not had an issue with it, as long as it is properly mounted and tighten properly you should have now problems.

Stanmo

#20 ·
OEM Roof Rails and Crossbars

Stoker,

I value your thoughtful and helpful esponse.

I have not seen any 2005/2005 OEM crossbars with a box mounted on them posted by anyone yet. Someone did post photoss of the latest crossbars but with nothing on them, I believe. I am eager to see your photos of the crossbars and box on your 2003 when you post them. I did notice from postings that they have used a different brand or crossbar for the Nissan OEM in Canada than in the U.S.

My Yakima Space Cadet (which I use for excess outdoors cargo) does have 4" clamps. I had to drill an extra hole on each side for the clamps to line up with the U.S. 30" OEM crossbar mounting separation on my '05 Murano.

Thanks again for the good response. Feel free to give addtional feed back.

Stanmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.