Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Yakima Lowriders today. They can be installed and removed in 5 minutes. They fit like they were made for the car. I took a test drive up to 65 mph and only heard some minor whistling. The sunroof can be vented and the rack will clear it. They can be positioned anywhere on the rack. I will take pictures on Sunday with my Thule box when I put it on and post them too.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought them for $170 from the Ski Chalet in Northern Virginia (Tysons Corner Location). I was able to get them to price match the prices from Agee Bikes. They are the cheapest that I have seen. They are out of Richmond, VA and do shipping.

I bought the LowRider Towers ($96), 58" Crossbars ($36), and a set of 4 SKS Lock Cores ($32) to make sure they didn't get stolen. Tax made up the rest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those look great. Much more stylish than the two 2x4's I bungied on my blue Mo last week to bring a bookcase in a box home from Sam's. Thanks for the link and the pictures.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the great photos! can't wait to see your thule photos later. BTW, just curious, is there a reason to opt for the lowrider vs the murano cross bars?? I am debating between these two, so any advice is appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to go with the LowRiders for a couple of reasons:

1. The Nissan units are not available and won't be available until at least September. This is assuming that Nissan doesn't push the release back yet again. I needed to get a set by this weekend to put a cargo box on the roof for a family beach trip. I am also concerned that their may be issues with the units holding up the release.

2. Concern for the scalability of the Nissan units. There are mount points on the factory rack. Depending on the design of the Nissan crossbars their may be very few options to position the rack. With the LowRiders I can put the bars almost anywhere on the factory rack.

3. Easy to remove/install. I only plan to put these on when needed. The Nissan design may not be as easy or be more of a permanant solution. I like the way my Murano looks now and factory crossbar pictures that I have seen may make the Murano look a little to mini-vanish for my tastes. They may end up being great, but we won't know until they release them.

4. Price. Factory bars are going to be $199 and can only be used on the Murano. I got these for $170 with locks and can reuse them them on many other vehicles, or could easily sell them on e-bay or something. With the Nissan units that $199 would go with the car whenever it gets traded or if I walk away at the end of the SmartBuy contract.

After trying out the LowRiders I am very pleased with the results. I think they make the Murano look a little more rugged/utilitarian when on the car and not mini-vanish like I fear with the Nissan units. Yakima also has a lot of attachments that will integrate with these that may not work with the Nissan ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
THANKS SO MUCH for your helpful information! Definitely makes alot of sense for me to consider the lowrider or similar products instead of the crossbars. I'm so glad to receive your advices. :))
Really appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. If you are not in a hurry to get them you may want to wait and see what Nissan comes out with. You never know they might surprise us. But if you like the looks of the LowRider, I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought the same setup at Gaylans for $175 + tax That's a great price for a retail store. The Lowerider set goes for $115, the bars are $20, and the locks were $40. I already have the bike mounts from another Yakima rack that went on my Maxima.

One thing I may do is cut down the bars so they don't stick out so much on the sides. That would be a quick project. Otherwise it was very easy to install.

Thanks for the original post. It saved me a lot of time and research.

·
4,664 Posts
I just like looking at the pictures... Sure is a nice looking Murano... If only mine had NAV. Stupid $^)#%$ Canadian options.:3:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know if MO can use 51" crossbars? I took the measurement of the roof rails, looks okay, but just wanna confirm with you guys.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
51" may be cutting it close. The Yakima bars only come in 48", 58", and their are a couple of larger lengths. So you would have to buy the 58" bars and cut them down. With the 58" bars you do have the potential to store more on the rack, and the bars do not stick out farther than the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to get racks and the Yakima's look great. Anyone have Thule? I have heard from a friend who has owned both(on another car) that he likes Thule better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure anyone knows about the Mont Blanc Aero crossbars. They are stainless steel color like the MO interior. Bars are flat. I just got a pair today with 51" crossbars. Looks good on a silver MO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
lnichols said:
Just got the Yakima Lowriders today. They can be installed and removed in 5 minutes. They fit like they were made for the car. I took a test drive up to 65 mph and only heard some minor whistling. The sunroof can be vented and the rack will clear it. They can be positioned anywhere on the rack. I will take pictures on Sunday with my Thule box when I put it on and post them too.

Did you ever get your thule box installed?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
May I ask a silly question, why install these over the OEM roof rack?

I have the OEM rack and also use a thule box with them along with a two bike rack.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have to agree with Gonzo. The roof rack cross bars are what looks best on the MO. The YAKIMA and other bars looks out of place.

The stock bars might cost a bit more but they're definitely not an eyesore.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts