Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the fog light posts and a few people have mentioned getting yellow fog lights but I did not see any pictures. does nayone have yellow fogs who could post a picture or two?

I am interested in the Precision Optics or the PIAA so if anyone had pictures of them in the Mo it would be great.

Also, I read that some people have 80w bulbs? Has anyone had any melting issues with the extra wattage?

Thanks for the help
Scott

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I always thought yellow fog lights were preferable over clear fogs because they reduced glare when driving on wet roads. However, you never see yellow fog lights anymore. Was that just a myth or do yellow fogs really reduce the glare?

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had yellow... they helped a bit but I think mainly because they didn't penetrat as much.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I found this on the autoanything.com website:

Are yellow fog lights really better than white or blue ones?
The old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones is just not true. The premise of that superstition, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back into the driver's eyes, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering. As it turns out, the water particles in fog and mist are entirely too large to have an effect on any light waves from fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. In other words, any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, so don't worry about the color.

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong. It was just a myth.

-njjoe

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts

here's a pic of 3000k hid bulbs on my right headlight and 6000k on my left. With the yellow 3m film over my 4300k hid foglights.

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
njjoe said:
I found this on the autoanything.com website:

Are yellow fog lights really better than white or blue ones?
The old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones is just not true. The premise of that superstition, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back into the driver's eyes, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering. As it turns out, the water particles in fog and mist are entirely too large to have an effect on any light waves from fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. In other words, any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, so don't worry about the color.

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong. It was just a myth.

-njjoe
If thats the case....Why aren't more street lights bright white?? Theyre usually orange, amber or yellow right?...There must be a good reason behind that.

·
5,244 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

If thats the case....Why aren't more street lights bright white?? Theyre usually orange, amber or yellow right?...There must be a good reason behind that.
Yes, there is. If you have yellow fogs mounted on your car YOU are more visiable. So you benefit as others can see you better.....

·
Registered
281 Posts
The high pressure sodium (pinkish-orange) street lights cause
less light pollution to the night sky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pictures / input. I am doing it for cosmetic reasons only. Want to go 80w but am worried about melting. Form what I have read though it does not seem to be an issue

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

The reason is economics. The cost of running street lights is very high. The vast majority of street lights are either high-pressure sodium or low pressure sodium lamps. The bright orange/yellow color is generated as the sodium metal vaporizes. Such lamps provide the greatest amount of illumination for the least consumption of electricity.

If cost was not a concern, then metal halide lighting (which is used in stadiums and ballparks) would be used for street lighting. It provides accurate color rendition. Unfortunately they are not as economical to operate as HAS lighting.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I had yellow

Loved em.

Grip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts