·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click the pic:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, is that what Nissan is going to put on our Mo's for the gas tank shield recall??? :2:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nice job!

I noticed there is no center muffler. :29:

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, yes, my local Nissan dealer charged me an extra .5 hours of labor when changing the oil, coolant, CVT fluid, and drive belts at my 60K checkup the other day. Ah well, what can you do... :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
It might be a dumb question, but why you did this? Are you doing some crazy off-roading on your Mo?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Murano_driver said:
It might be a dumb question, but why you did this? Are you doing some crazy off-roading on your Mo?
I believe he said he was planning on using his MO to pull a car trailer. The trailer weight is slightly over the recommended max. The air springs should help the MO handle the weight.

-njjoe

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Yeh, I understand the need of air springs, but right now this Mo will survive if somebody will throw a hand grenade under it. I am talking about those crazy metal shields on the front and on the back. MightyMo are you going to tow the car trailer somewhere in South Iraq?:2:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Because when it's 100+ outside and I'm driving on a dirt or gravel trail at least 10 miles from any people or civilization at all, I *really* don't want that big rock or tree branch that the truck before me nicked and spun into the road just around a blind corner or just behind a rise destroying something I need to get home with.

Yes, one could say I should just trade her in and get an XTerra or Pathfinder, but have you ever driven one of those things? Blegh. The Mo doesn't drive like a truck, it drives like a big Rally car, which makes it pure pleasure to pilot whether on or off road.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, yeah, I've thought about those, but there are trade offs...

For the spacers, you're not in any way increasing the available suspension travel, and having a compliant suspension that can go up and down is important to maintaining traction on rough uneven terrain.

And larger diameter tires, they'll decrease your available torque to the ground. Especially at 0MPH when trying to get unstuck, and the way our ECU dials back the power to protect the CVT at low speed, I'm not really sure I want any less torque. I may try this in due course though, would be fun to see how big a tire one can really fit in the wheel well :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
What hobby takes you out the
these remote locations?

I love the beefey Murano, If I'm
roughing it I drive my big 4x4
Excursion. But I have to ask, I
also come from the bay area and
you said....

"least 10 miles from any people
or civilization".

I can't think of a place for 100
miles where this could happen.

The part I hate about California
is I have to drive three hours before
I can find the smallest chunk of
land with out a fence no trespassing
signs, a Farmer with a gun,
Environmentalist Group with
picket signs.

My kids and I ride dirt bikes and
love casual rides in open space.
I'm not the typical X-Games Rock-n-roll
moto dude, that visits the designated
parks. I would prefer miles of fire
trails.

Too bad, there is just not enough
around SF.

Ken D.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photography is my goal mostly, that and just an itch to explore. I love the Mojave Desert area... Death Vally, Joshua Tree, the neighboring BLM terratories with abandoned mines and ghost towns and such.

I love Yosemite too, Mt. Lassen, etc. But in those kind of parks if you want to get away from it all you need to do it on foot :4: .

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, I want it all.

The Murano is a great urban SUV, great highway handling in snow but if it could also do real off road 4 WD stuff, perfect.

Low range, skid pans, LSD ..........

Oh well.

Ray

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure an LSD in the rear can be done, that'll be my next crazy project some day down the road, especially since I don't have VDC/ABLS.

As for low range, I can't imagine how, the whole drivetrain layout and transmission needs to be set up for it, and it ain't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Given how noticeable the plastic shield for the recall is, does your skid plate at the rear stand out as noticably? I was drawn to the simplicity of chopping out the mid-ship muffler in order to avoid the unsightly 'lump' that is quite noticable from an otherwise excellent side view. It doesn't look too difficult to replicate your skid plate idea... would you be willing to snap a pic from the side while it's on the ground? and hey, is that stainless steel?

I'm a bit apprehensive about your CVT scoop - It really hangs out there doesn't it!

thanks in advance,

d

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At least I've got the metal scoop, that bugger is pretty dang stout.

The rear plate does hang down a bit forward of the rear axle, because it has to clear the sway bar, exhaust, fuel tanks, and then reach forward to some good attachment points. I'll try to snap some pics this weekend for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts