Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my witts end here with this air conditioner. Bit of background, hit a deer and replaced condenser and drier. System oil evacuated, topped up and refrigerant added at a certified shop. Pressures cold sitting at around 88 psi on hi and low side. Clutch doesn’t engage. Had a code that ambient sensor circuit was open, so checked connector and harness up to the IPDM, all good. Performed the auto active test (PCS- 10) and clutch engagement and relay all good. Swapped out the IPDM, Ambient temp sensor and the A/C auto amp with one out of a working a/c from a 2014 Murano and still no luck. Sometimes the outside air temp reads actual outside air temp, other times it reads -30 Celsius. No consistency what so ever.

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
At my witts end here with this air conditioner. Bit of background, hit a deer and replaced condenser and drier. System oil evacuated, topped up and refrigerant added at a certified shop. Pressures cold sitting at around 88 psi on hi and low side. Clutch doesn’t engage. Had a code that ambient sensor circuit was open, so checked connector and harness up to the IPDM, all good. Performed the auto active test (PCS- 10) and clutch engagement and relay all good. Swapped out the IPDM, Ambient temp sensor and the A/C auto amp with one out of a working a/c from a 2014 Murano and still no luck. Sometimes the outside air temp reads actual outside air temp, other times it reads -30 Celsius. No consistency what so ever.

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Those intermittent low temperature readings would suggest the circuit is opening up somehow--maybe problem with a connector, loose pin, broken wire? Was the A/C working normally before you ran over the deer? If so, then double-check the harness connector to the sensor by tugging and jiggling it while also watching your temperature reading and see if you can get it to act up. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know if you find the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those intermittent low temperature readings would suggest the circuit is opening up somehow--maybe problem with a connector, loose pin, broken wire? Was the A/C working normally before you ran over the deer? If so, then double-check the harness connector to the sensor by tugging and jiggling it while also watching your temperature reading and see if you can get it to act up. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know if you find the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion INC. I have jiggled harnesses and wires until I’m blue in the face. That’s what makes it so frustrating, no consistency. And yes it did work normally before hitting the deer. It took less time to rebuild the whole front end than what I’ve spent on this air conditioning problem. I should mention that when I took the ambient temperature sensor out of the 2014 Murano and then re-installed it, it too would read -30 at first and now works fine. Go figure.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion INC. I have jiggled harnesses and wires until I’m blue in the face. That’s what makes it so frustrating, no consistency. And yes it did work normally before hitting the deer. It took less time to rebuild the whole front end than what I’ve spent on this air conditioning problem. I should mention that when I took the ambient temperature sensor out of the 2014 Murano and then re-installed it, it too would read -30 at first and now works fine. Go figure.
Did you check continuity of the ambient temperature sensor circuit all the way back to the A/C Auto Amp connector?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check continuity of the ambient temperature sensor circuit all the way back to the A/C Auto Amp connector?
Funny you should ask, s a matter of fact yes I did that as well although when I had the multimeter set to the tone sound for continuity it was not constant but had a steady rhythm. So than I compared it with the 2014 Murano with a working air conditioner and it made the exact same rhythmic tone. Obviously electronics are not my forte.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way I did decide to order a new ambient air temp sensor and will report back if that works. In the mean time if anyone else has any other suggestions I’m all ears.
Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
By the way I did decide to order a new ambient air temp sensor and will report back if that works. In the mean time if anyone else has any other suggestions I’m all ears.
Thanks
It could just be that there wasn't steady contact with the probes. You've swapped out all the major components to those from a working system except for the combination meter--can you read the ambient temperature from your dash display? Otherwise, I would think something wrong in the harness. Maybe further isolate the circuit by testing wiring from IPDM to combination meter and then combination meter to A/C Auto Amp? But, circling back to what caused all this is an impact to the front end so not sure why that would cause a problem deep into the wiring harness. Hopefully, the new ambient temperature sensor fixes it since you've done a mountain of work chasing down this gremlin. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could just be that there wasn't steady contact with the probes. You've swapped out all the major components to those from a working system except for the combination meter--can you read the ambient temperature from your dash display? Otherwise, I would think something wrong in the harness. Maybe further isolate the circuit by testing wiring from IPDM to combination meter and then combination meter to A/C Auto Amp? But, circling back to what caused all this is an impact to the front end so not sure why that would cause a problem deep into the wiring harness. Hopefully, the new ambient temperature sensor fixes it since you've done a mountain of work chasing down this gremlin. Good luck!

View attachment 51465
Thanks for that suggestion INC. Do you know where I would physically find this combination meter. It took me forever to find out that the clutch relay was inside of the IPDM.
Cheers

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I ordered a new ambient air temp sensor, checked the connector and installed it all to no avail. It seemed to be stuck at +14C even though the shop it was sitting in was at 10 C and when I tried to heat it up with a heat gun, no change. Then I took it for a drive and it dropped 4 degrees which I’m sure was pretty accurate but still no clutch engagement. I think I’m going to have to break down and take it to a shop. I feel so defeated, dam.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So I ordered a new ambient air temp sensor, checked the connector and installed it all to no avail. It seemed to be stuck at +14C even though the shop it was sitting in was at 10 C and when I tried to heat it up with a heat gun, no change. Then I took it for a drive and it dropped 4 degrees which I’m sure was pretty accurate but still no clutch engagement. I think I’m going to have to break down and take it to a shop. I feel so defeated, dam.
Sorry to hear the new sensor didn't fix it. The temperature readings--are they from your scanner or from the dash display? On the heat gun test...the A/C system will ignore rapid increases in ambient temperature (no more than 0.33C per 100 seconds). The reason for this is to prevent heat radiating from the engine compartment throwing off how the system functions (this is described in the service manual).

BTW...are you making sure that the A/C is not in "Auto" mode when trying to get the compressor clutch engaged? I ask because those outside temperatures you cited are pretty cool and the system might not engage when it's that cold outside. Also, did you try changing the setting to defrost (...the system is supposed to engage the clutch in defrost mode no matter the ambient temp so humidity doesn't cause the windshield to fog up)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again INC for the insight on the heat gun test. To answer your questions yes I turned off auto, tried defrost, still nothing. Took the car to work today and ambient temp ( center dash one) seemed to work fine. Tried the OBD again and “0” faults for the entire car. It got up to +17 C here today on my way home and sorry to say ( for me) still nothing.
Dam it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So still tinkering with the A/C and someone mentioned that it could be the high pressure switch. Does anyone know if you need to evacuate the system or if there is a shrader valve where the switch mounts to so I don’t have to evacuate the whole system to change it.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If your reading on the AC gauges is 88 psi while the engine and AC is running then something is surely wrong. That reading is too high for the low side and too low for the high side. Sounds like you have an AC component problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your reading on the AC gauges is 88 psi while the engine and AC is running then something is surely wrong. That reading is too high for the low side and too low for the high side. Sounds like you have an AC component problem.

Thanks for the response nitely , yes the car is running but the a/c system is not. The clutch won’t engage, so this is the pressure the entire system is at presently, car running or not.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
When the shop vacuum pump your system and then added the refrigerant they did not test if its working or not? Basically the AC never worked after the deer accident right? You can try jumping the compressor clutch. If it catches then the problem will be in the wiring but if it does not then its the compressor.how to test auto ac compressor - Google Search

·
Registered
627 Posts
Here are the specs for high/low side pressures. Engine should be at idle with A/C running for 10 minutes (blower on high) before taking readings.

nitely did ask a good question about the shop servicing the A/C system after the accident--did they alert you to the fact that the A/C clutch wasn't engaging when you picked up the car from them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are the specs for high/low side pressures. Engine should be at idle with A/C running for 10 minutes (blower on high) before taking readings.

nitely did ask a good question about the shop servicing the A/C system after the accident--did they alert you to the fact that the A/C clutch wasn't engaging when you picked up the car from them?

View attachment 51576

The reason the shop didn’t fix it was they had it for two days and waited until I showed up to pick it up to tell me it wasn’t working. I live 1/2 hr out of town and had to catch a ride so now I’m ticked. Then tell me if I left it with them ( with a blank cheque) they could fix it. Left a sour taste in my mouth, as well enforced the feeling that garages are a rip off which is the reason why most of us are here. Anywho going to try replacing the pressure switch next. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The reason the shop didn’t fix it was they had it for two days and waited until I showed up to pick it up to tell me it wasn’t working. I live 1/2 hr out of town and had to catch a ride so now I’m ticked. Then tell me if I left it with them ( with a blank cheque) they could fix it. Left a sour taste in my mouth, as well enforced the feeling that garages are a rip off which is the reason why most of us are here. Anywho going to try replacing the pressure switch next. Stay tuned.
You'll need to evacuate the system. The pressure sensor is mounted on a little tank attached to the condenser.

If that doesn't fix the problem then there's one other thing I was thinking about when looking over this thread again. You've confirmed that the clutch does engage during the Auto Active test so the IPDM is receiving the command from the ECM to engage. What needs to be confirmed is if the ECM can receive the signal from the A/C Auto Amp and this is done via CAN communication. The way to make sure that branch is o.k. is to do a resistance test at the A/C Auto Amp connector between Terminals 1 and 2--it should be 54-66 Ohms. If it's outside this range then the ECM is not receiving the request from the A/C Auto Amp to activate the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well back to square one. Changed out the pressure sensor, put a vacuum on the system and then recharged with one can of duster which brought it up to 77 psi and ......... nothing.
Still no clutch engagement.
So INC if I change out the auto amp computer would that not resolve the issue that you brought up? I changed it out once with my other Murano (working one) but thought I might try it again as I was having ambient air temp issues back then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts