Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new tire at this size used on sedans and crossovers. It has an H speed rating and a 60,000 mile warranty. Price is comparable to the S rated Michelin Cross Terrain that does not have a wear rating.

Anyone try these yet? I'm a Michelin fan but the Yoko wear rating and asymetrical thread design is very tempting.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Very interesting! Looks like a passenger car tire. If it was available a monnth ago I just might have gone for it. What is the price?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Why do companies do things like this? (Exclusive deal with discount Tire)

There is no Discount Tire outlet in all of Southwest Florida. Or south Florida for that matter.
A market of a couple of million tire buyers.

And no, I don't buy tires mail order (And have never understood people who do........the potential for warranty madness is a real concern).

Dammit.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Homer,
you can "drop in" to Atlanta on your way down and get them. Plenty of discount tires around......we may have a glass of cabernet sauvignon while waiting...

seriously, I will check them out if they are available. They do look interesting

·
5,244 Posts
LKimura said:
This is a new tire at this size used on sedans and crossovers. It has an H speed rating and a 60,000 mile warranty. Price is comparable to the S rated Michelin Cross Terrain that does not have a wear rating.

Anyone try these yet? I'm a Michelin fan but the Yoko wear rating and asymetrical thread design is very tempting.

Yokohama - 520 AA
Michelin - 420AA

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
520 AA?

Sounds like hard rubber to me.

Nah, Kris, as much as your invite is tempting, I won't buy tires where I cannot get them serviced.
While the Yokos will probably be error free, there is always the chance of an out-of-round or worse.

But, I WOULD like the chance to check them out. Grrrrrr.

Homer

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Michelins

The guy at America's Tires/Discount Tires recommended that I go with the Michelins. He said that the wear should be comparable. With my past history with Michelin's on other cars I felt comfortable going with them.

There seems to be a bit more tire noise than the GY's but nothing I would classify as offending. The tread pattern is more aggressive and looks to be better in the rain. Handling seems a bit better too but then again, I was driving with worn tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went to Discount Tire to inquire about this tire. I'm probably gonna go with the 235/65/18. They cost $160 per tire, and they gave me a qoute of $711 for everything. Is that an okay price?

·
5,244 Posts
No idea. But I paid $650 for GDY. So I would think the price is right if:
- the tires last 40k miles
- perform at least as well as GDY in dry condition
- perform better than GDY in rain
- the ride is OK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kris said:
No idea. But I paid $650 for GDY. So I would think the price is right if:
- the tires last 40k miles
- perform at least as well as GDY in dry condition
- perform better than GDY in rain
- the ride is OK
yah, they qouted me $650 for the GDY. tirerack has no ratings on this tire yet, but i guess i'll give em a shot. can't be any worse than the GDY's. according to the yokohama website, they are a pretty good tire. the ride should be good cuz it's passenger/cross-over tire. at discount tire, this tire showed 3 yellow stars on their computer meaning 1 yellow star was best, 1 green star was better and 1 blue star was good. so 3 yellow stars should be good.

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting comparison. Follow this link: tires

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kris said:
Interesting comparison. Follow this link: tires
Interesting indeed. At my location, North Florida, I have a Discount Tire store walking distance from my office. Searching the Discount web site for 235/65 x 18 tires for MO, using my zip code, brings up the GY and Michelin, but no Yoko. The blackwall Michelin is $3 cheaper per tire than the Atlanta-area link you posted.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Looks like an interesting tire. Wish this had been out when I was looking for tires. Still like the Geos though.

Discount Tire has both stores and an internet business. You can drop ship the tires to any local shop by purchasing through their website. Thats what I did with the Yokos - free shipping at the time too.

·
5,244 Posts
Yes, it does look like a good tire. The thread pattern is not very aggressive (I like it!). The only concern I have now is the thread rating - 520. It might be just a little too hard. Though it is a passenger car tire so still can be OK.

Just wish this tire was available 2 months ago.....:(

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think the CS's have an even higher number for treadwear, so 520 doesn't concern me. Nice to see some more choices out there for the MO though.

·
5,244 Posts
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to have tire rotation and balancing done (free of charge). Had a talk with Store Manager about the Yoko YK520. He was recommending it for Murano, but not the Geolandars......I liked the YK520, the look, the threat pattern and the fact they are passenger car tires. If I was to get new tires now I would definitely try them. Given the thread pattern they will be much better in the rain that GDY.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
One has to wonder how many people are being kept from buying this tire due to the exclusive contract between Yoko and Discount tire?

Yoko will not respond to this question.

There are 2.5 million people in SW Fl that are arguably too far away from the nearest Discount Tire to buy this tire and get support. (I do not believe in mail order tires)

I would imagine there are many places in the US that are in the same boat.

Oh well, their loss.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to have tire rotation and balancing done (free of charge). Had a talk with Store Manager about the Yoko YK520. He was recommending it for Murano, but not the Geolandars......I liked the YK520, the look, the threat pattern and the fact they are passenger car tires. If I was to get new tires now I would definitely try them. Given the thread pattern they will be much better in the rain that GDY.
Too bad these were not available last November when I went with the Geolandars. Looking forward to reviews of this tire.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts