Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I traded for my '05 earlier this week, I removed all my stereo equip. from the trade beforehand. Included in that was a Kenwood X-579 HU. I was looking at this HU last night and got to thinking. It's got a flip-down removable face plate. There's a single plunger-style connector with 2 rows of 8 contacts to power the face plate. I popped the covers off of the face plate and the HU, took an IDE ribbon cable and stripped off 2 segments of 8 wires, and soldered them onto the boards of the face plate and HU. Now I've got a powered face plate that can be mounted about 14" away from the HU. The face plate is clean and neat and about 1/2" thick. I think I can fabricate a cover to go over the existing Bose HU with a mount for this face plate. The HU will be mounted under the pod. I'm thinking that maybe the HU could be mounted behind the Bose face plate with the CD slots lining up as well. The eject button would be the only issue to overcome in that case. Anyone ever try this?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds interesting...keep us updated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.k......this is gonna work. I've made a cover that hides the Bose face plate. I shaped it out with florists foam, then made an inverted mold from that with plaster. I laid fiberglass into the mold, then knocked the mold off after it cured. It projects about 1" out from the aluminum pod cover, and has a recess that the Kenwood face plate will sit in. It's at the upholsters shop getting covered right now. The Bose unit is out and the Kenwood/Sirius tuner will mount in it's place. The Kenwood HU will go underneath the pod, or I may just get a MusicKeg, and mount the HU inside the pod somewhere since I won't be using CD's anymore. Now I've gotta pull the insides out and start running wires.....I'll post some pics when it's done.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You've got more MO than me! Plz keep up good work and send prefab & install pics when you can!:claphead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got around to finishing this up.....all except for the rear door speakers which I had to order. Basically this is a Kenwood X579 HU which has a removable face plate. I routed ribbon cables from the face plate to the HU to re-gain control when it's detached. Bose face plate cover is homemade. Main portion of HU is mounted behind the dash. Sub box I made from .75" particle board (.75 cu/ft volume). Sub is a 10" RF HE2 mounted in a down-firing position. Front speakers are Kenwood Xr61p components. Rears will be Kenwood XR701 co-axial 2-way. Amp is a Kenwood X650d 5 channel. Also have Kenwood Excelon Keg, and Kenwood Sirius satt. tuner. It all works like a champ. Sounds very good, will sound exactly right when rear door speakers arrive and are mounted.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Good work!

Do you have pics of what you did to the PC board behind the controls?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't do anything to it except run a ribbon cable through the cassette slot.... HU is mounted where the stock HU was mounted. The ribbon cable ties the HU and face plate together. Bose controls are covered by the black leather covered fiberglass panel that the remote face plate is mounted to. Pretty simple. The fiberglass panel could be made as elaborate as you wish......there are probably several different aesthetic approaches to this setup.

·
4,601 Posts
That's pretty trick.... Not a permanent mod so you can change it however you like later, or even pull your stuff and bring it back to OEM when it's time to sell.

Good thinking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts