Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least this fellow up north of here managed it.

Last bid at $2500 when I saw this.

http://tinyurl.com/qlcz

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
no surprise. Actually you can do it with any car! Give "right" condition even Ferrari will do it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've heard of a Murano rolling over when it was hit from the side. But I've never heard of one rolling over in a maneuver. Looking at those pictures, I can see that this Murano even has VDC. I wonder how fast the guy was going to flip the car.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks like he slid it on the driver's side

From the pics, it looks like he slid into something and the driver's rear wheel took the brunt of the force (hence why it's bent under.) The car probably rolled because of that.

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the pix showing the drivers side interior.
Look under the vent.
There are two switches here -
1- adjust HID lights
2- VDC

Like kris said, if the conditions are right...........

Cars hitting a low curb while sliding sideways will do it every time.
Going Airborne is another good way to do it.
Being "Helped" by another car will sometimes do it.

But the Murano is better than most SUVs.

Look at the width vs height.
Look at the position of the wheels (All the way out at the corners).
Consider the COG with a car based "frame".
Consider the firm suspension.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Maybe someone here can email the person in the ebay auction and ask how the accident happened. Like Homer said, it may have hit a curb, look at how the drivers rear wheel is completely bent inwards.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Eric L. said:
Maybe someone here can email the person in the ebay auction and ask how the accident happened. Like Homer said, it may have hit a curb, look at how the drivers rear wheel is completely bent inwards.
the wheel 'caving' inwards could be the stress caused on it, if it were the ground/pivot wheel when the roll began.... the shear weight of the car could've easily caused the wheel to tuck...

but there's many possibilities here......

i hope/wonder if the occupants are okay... (no blood is a good indication)...also....
i wonder if the vech. has NAV.... or better yet, if its salvagable (morbid thinking maybe......but still..)

-eSe

·
Registered
487 Posts
I imagine the techno-guts can be salvaged, if there's NAV. I wouldn't trust the engine, though. Isn't a roll-over a 'bad' thing for an engine?

The CVT should be fine. Hmm.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tried all my PSshop skills, but I can't tell what position the switch is in. 'Course it could have been toggled many times since the initial event that started this rollover.

Hmmm. now that I think about it, it isn't even a 2 position switch is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excuse my ignorance- but why is there a toggle switch for the VDC? Isn't this something that you would want on all of the time for safety reasons? What am I missing or am I not comprehending the pictures correctly?

Thanks,
jimmymac

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The VDC switch is next to the headlight adjuster switch near the left knee kick panel. I have no idea why someone would want to switch off VDC. But there are some of those out there who think they are race car drivers and turn off VDC because they prefer to "use their skills" during maneuvers. I always found that statement rather odd since it is unlikely a human can ever make corrections as fast as the electronic stability control can.

jimmymac said:
Excuse my ignorance- but why is there a toggle switch for the VDC? Isn't this something that you would want on all of the time for safety reasons? What am I missing or am I not comprehending the pictures correctly?

Thanks,
jimmymac

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are some of us out here that ARE race car drivers.
We CAN outperform a system that does not do the steering.

Ask Nissan why they put a switch on it.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
hfelknor

I am not a race driver but I subscribe to your opinion! Same used to apply to ABS. I would not drive car wioth ABS on a gravel road.

However, in general we are not talking about race drivers. The system, be it VDS or ABS, will outperform most of the drivers. It does not mean ALL!:D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have a problem with having a switch for all automatic stuff(I'd like to disable the seat moving back and forth when I open the door for one thing). I am, in fact, surprised there is one.

Here's a story I remember reading back in the day in R&T. In the early days of ABS, BMW had an ABS on/off switch on their (then) new 5 series. When they imported the car to the US, the switch was not made available because BMW feared litigation if an accident happened and the owner turned off the ABS. Seems they feared they would be at fault for 'giving the owner the ABILITY to defeat the safety feature.' In Germany, if someone had an accident with the ABS disabled, everyone would think the person made a mistake.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Halo said:
I'd like to disable the seat moving back and forth when I open the door for one thing
Check out your owner's manual, Halo. You can, indeed, disable the seat moving back when you remove the key from the ignition.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Halo you CAN disable the seat moving back and Forth at startup etc

It's in the owners manual.

It's one of the settings on the info screen.
Look on page 4-11

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
It's a Canadian 03 SE so it automatically comes with VDC if you want it or not.

The switch is a good idea. I had TC in my Maxima and I'd have to turn it off in poor weather so that it would let me control how much tire slippage I had, not have it kill my power while driving. It would really P me off when it would try to regulate power on a left hand turn in the middle of an intersection on a slippery road. But I have good throttle control. I can see others taking advantage of it, if they don't.

I can see that most times you'd want VDC on, but on occasion, if you are a very skilled driver, you may find situations where you would want to be able to turn it off.

As far as how did the Murano get rolled, take a drive in Montreal, and you'll wonder how many others have been rolled as well!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I will check that. I did look up a few things in that manual (like how to program the homelink, how to stop the horn from beeping with the keyless etc) but I didn't think to check for the seat setup. Will do that today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts