Nissan Murano Forum banner

Your 1st MO Sighting

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  pcs15394 
#1 ·
I was just wondering where most current MO driver's were when they caught their 1st glimpse of a MO?

I was traveling home from work in my trusty old '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee and happened to see a MO about 1/2 mile ahead. I gave her all she had Captain and finally caught up with the MO. I was impressed by the styling and my inability to keep pace for very long.

I think I was subliminally brainwashed, because from that time on I was obsessed with the MO, even though I told my wife, 'No big purchases for a while".

Of course, I got a MO about 1 week later and I still feel obsessed. Or is that possessed? Lol:runaway:

#2 ·
I first spotted the MO at a Nissan dealership. I had gone there with a friend who was looking to purchase another vehicle. I started walking around the showroom and noticed some pictures on the wall. I thought it was interesting looking, but appeared to be real small and it was a strange orange color. I asked a salesman what the price was going to be and he told me it was going to start at around $34000.00. I immediately dismissed it as too expensive for a little tiny SUV.

A couple of weeks later, I had gone back to the dealership with my friend who was now finalizing the purchase of his vehicle. I start walking around the lot, and somehow ended up around back where I spotted a Murano being prepped. I was immediately taken with it. It was much larger in person and looked real good in silver. Walked up to check out the sticker, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a base model and was $5000.00 cheaper than the salesman told me it would be. After seeing it in person, I was sold.

I ended up getting one in the "strange" orange color.

#4 ·
Yeah, I can still remember the day about a year ago... it had a smallish looking body, weird stubby and rounded shaped, with a hood that was too short, a rear-end that looked like some of it got chopped off, tires that were too big, and an ugly chrome grill, too rounded at the front and rear, still somewhat cool looking SUV, that went driving by me in the downtown business district. I went down to the dealer and checked one out, walking away saying that $34,000 was way too much to pay for that ugly car.

I went back to the same dealer three weeks ago... bought one for $27,000, and change... The rest is history, and I've been happy ever since my purchase.

#5 ·
I remember seeing one with that "weird orange color" stopped at a light. As I passed it both my girlfriend and I did a rubberneck as we passed. Then looked at each other and both agreed hat it was a cool car. Several months later after I got sick of bringing my two vehicles to the mechanics once a month, I traded them in (for next to nothing) for my MO.

#6 ·
Here is something funny... I got my MO in Aug 03 about 8 months prior to that my wife said she saw "this car" that she said had my name written all over it. She couldn't describe it too well and I didn't know what she was talking about.

Some time in March I was at the delership having work done on my Nissan and I saw the MO in one of the bays (most likely have work done it to fix the rattles ;) ) and I thought it was a great looking car. I loved the lines!

Now I've got one and love driving it. I wish my commute was longer. :claphead:

#7 ·
You know, I'm not even sure I ever saw one on the road before I bought mine. I was extremely frustrated with my Xterra, being 2WD, and stuck in the snow for 3 days. I knew I wanted an AWD vehicle ASAP. I guess I started reviewing the inventory of my usual dealeship online, and decided to check out the Murano. I read dozens of newspaper reviews and as many consumer-related publications as possible. I was intrigued by the CVT and knew I wanted the AWD and NAV. So I built one at the Nissan website, searched inventories and found an exact match at my regular dealer.

I was doing a lot of highway driving on Mondays and Fridays at that time, but the manual suggested constantly varying your speeds for the first 1200 miles. So on the weekends, my wife and I would go out for driving tours, just taking country back roads for hours on end just to run up the odometer while avoiding any one speed. Perhaps a week or two after buying the car, we were near Doylestown, PA on 202 when, wayyyyyy off in the distance in the rear view mirror, I spotted the grill of a Murano gaining on us. As they got closer, I moved over and let them by. Middle aged couple, and the wife waved as they went by! I remember having clusters of cars around me on the NJ Turnpike, finding people standing around my car when I came out of stores and diners, and having to teach the dealership technicians how to reset the oil change milage counter.

Good times, good times.

#8 ·
I saw my first Mo in a Costco parking lot way out in the boonies parked backward against the curb. I said WOW that car has perfect wheel to length to height ratio....and it is swoopy as hell.
The next time I saw it there I pulled in a few spaces from it and got out and gave it a once over. My Venture was wearing on me.
Soooooo, two weeks later I went into a Nissan stealership and picked out the exact one I wanted, drove it home two hours later.

Been smilin eva since.
:D

#11 ·
A friend at work saw one at a car show and commented on how cool it was. I was just kinda considering what to get to replace my 1991 Explorer at the time and looked it up online. Looked great. Actually saw one on the road (in that "weird orange color") not too long after that and really fell in love. I was obsessed with getting one after that, and a few months later, I finally had it. Been a year since I got it and I still love it!

#12 ·
Went down to Nissan to buy a Quest.
Damned speedometer was up some japanese designers ........well, lets just say that the middle of the dash is not a suitable place for a speedometer.
As I was pullimg out I saw the toothy grin. Interesting......... but nothing more.
A few days later I was lamenting to my buddy that I was going to have to wait for Chrysler to come out with the 2004s to have folding rearseats, but at least I would get another great car...........

He said......Murano.

I said......what?

he said............ like that one........the orange one..........
We were puling into a restaurant and damned if the thing didn't turn and grin at me.
Back to the dealer.
Bought the Murano.

Covered the grill with sack cloth for the first few months.....
dated a girl like that in HS. Put a sack on her, but oh those fenders and what an upswept tail! Wait. That's the Murano.

Took the sack cloth off.
Still look at every aftermarket grill tho.
Maybe someday...........

Homer

#14 ·
saw the first one at the NYIAS. Went to the dealer as we had our money down on a pilot that just wasn't coming in and they said they would call us as soon as one came in (they weren't even out yet). Good thing we got the MO!

#15 ·
Like some of you I was at the Dealer getting something done on my 02-Altima. My wife took me over to this awesome looking Mo on the lot. She said I want it! I said keep dreaming! Sometime in the near future when her Junk-Grand Cherokee started growling and making wierd noise, we started looking. We went here and there but came back over and over to the Murano.
Honestly, we could not find anything with the WOW factor of the Mo.
Bob1

#16 ·
Mo lust kind of snuck up on me. I was convinced that I was getting an MDX, or an RX 300, a used one, wanted NAV. My cousin asked me if I had considered a MO as we saw one in our church parking lot. I said I didn't really like it... ok I thought it was funny looking. Later I was reading the customer reviews/ratings on MSN comparing MDX to RX and just happened to to look at the MOs reviews. Currently MO: 9.3, MDX 8.8, RX 8.9. That got my attention.

As I continued my shopping I test drove a pre-owned 04 VW Toureg w/2200 mi. didn't care for it much, ergonomically it wasn't as comfortable as the MO, the throttle felt too stiff and generally sluggish. Drove a MO later that same day and all I could think was what was Motor Trends thinking, they couldn't have given the MO an honest assesment. To me the MO is much more comfortable, handles better and will beat the pants off the Toureg in acceleration. The fever just grew after the test ride and after 3 months of blissful trouble free ownership I am still a happy camper.
:21:

#17 ·
The lease on my Maxima was due in May 2003. I was pondering what to do next, because I really didn't like the looks of the new Max and was thinking about something different.

Well I saw a picture on line, of the Murano and with it's big wheels I really thought it was a much smaller vehicle. When you don't know, and you don't really understand how much bigger the wheels are, I was under the impression it was like a PT Cruiser in size.

Well, I watched, lurked in this forum and another and finally in mid November 2002, I saw one in a dealer. Love at first sight, so I obsessed about how I'd get into one for about 10 weeks, then went in and got out of the Maxima's lease three months early.

I'm still in love!

#18 ·
i guess first impressions are important - back in 03 i was walking down a city street with traffic flowing by when a dark blue vehicle cruised by that seemd to stand out from all the rest - like it was literally the only vehicle on the road - a wierd experience - some kind of 'wow what's that' thought entered my head and i read the murano awd sign on the back - i think that's what planted the thought of trading my pathfinder in and buying a MO right there and then - when it came time to find a new vehicle i did a lot of research and test drove a variety of makes and models of possibe vehicles extensively - comments on this forum were very useful to help me make my choice - so thanks to every one of you - this month i bought an 04 se pewter murano and i'm lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it - :2:

#19 ·
First sighting

I saw a two page spread picture of the Murano in a magazine and actually cut around it and hung it up in my office at work (Okay my cubicle). I did not realize how big they were either. When I told people at work I had just bought a new car, no one was surprised that it was the Murano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.