Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While adding some washer fluid, I thought I should really have a look around and see if all was ok under the hood.
2018 Murano SL, purchased in July '19
I was quite surprised at this mess. Mrs. Penguin's (same age) was fine, in fact hers had some sort of protective coating, almost looked like blue nail polish.
2020-04-05 12.34.37.jpg

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm not surprised, seeing the amount of dirt up in the engine bay. Basically, unless you make a habit of running full force thru muddy puddles, an '18 should not be that dirty.

After cleaning the battery terminals with baking soda and clear water, treat them with the red and green felt treated washers and a coating of Vaseline to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Next, I would look under the car and behind the front wheels to make sure all the underbody shields are in place and fastened securely. The Murano is at best, water resistant in the engine bay. Not waterproof. Having that much moisture coming into the engine bay creating the caked dirt is literally asking for electrical issues and excessive wear of the serpentine belt and associated devices being driven by it.

Several videos online how to properly clean the engine and bay without causing any more issues.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree, it looks pretty dirty and sandy...

Funny thing though, I test drove a CPO '15 when I was looking last year, and it was equally dirty. The entire engine was coated/caked with the dirt under the beauty cover, I had never seen anything like it before... And the battery looked the same as above with corrosion. All I could think of at the time was the previous owner did a lot of highway driving on dirty salty roads during the winter...

The CPO '15 Murano otherwise was shiny and clean inside and out, almost new looking even with ~70k miles. I would have expected that a CPO vehicle would have the engine bay cleaned when it was this dirty, and especially the battery replaced or at least cleaned up... I attached a couple of photos of it.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts