1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Umm what are z tubes?:confused:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Z tubes are a replacement for the "dryer hose" that connects the throttle to the intake manifold. They are smoother inside, giving better airflow and a few more horsepower. I have a feeling that it won't fit, and they won't make one to fit. Basically, G35 owners found that the tube from the Z would fit on their cars. What you have to realize is that these are not performance aftermarket parts, these are stock parts that may fit on other vehicles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Now I am no mechanic I only know what little I do from what I read in the forums, but would extra horsepower cause more stress on a supposedly already stress CVT?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dunno how much the cvt can handle but it wont break if u do minor things, will a murano jwt pop charger fit on it.

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
simplesb said:
Now I am no mechanic I only know what little I do from what I read in the forums, but would extra horsepower cause more stress on a supposedly already stress CVT?
If CVT's were so fragile Mo's wouldn't have a 3500 towing capacity. I think Towing would put alot of stress on our CVT's yet Mo's can handel it.....IMO i don't think 5-10 horses will make any diffrence...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I doubt very much that the replacement for this tube will generate more HPs in a restricted Murano environment (both intake and exhaust would have to be greatly improved before any noticeable gain would come from such changes).

In a 350Z or G35, both the intake and the exhaust are already designed to maximize the flow so that if you remove a small restriction in the middle, it will show all the way.

Think of this as a funnel. You may increase the top side or the middle of the funnel by whatever ratio you want. As long as the bottom opening remains this little, you won't get more flow out of there and no HP gain.

·
4,664 Posts
Have you ever noticed that all these "cheap" HP improvements give you from 4-10 HP? It's like Golf, where all the little things are supposed to add another 100 or so ft. If you took them and put them all together, people would be hitting golf balls for miles.

I am automatically suspicious of claims like this. Air density changes can move your HP around this much. And while much of this is like a Placebo, where people believe that there's more power, after doing a mod, I find it difficult to believe that a person's behind can actually detect a 2-4% difference in HP.

Not to say that some of these things don't work, but it seems like a lot of trouble for a change that is so insignificant.

40HP better? That's worth pursuing... 4HP? I'm not so sure...

As far as the CVT goes, the computer limits the engine from high torque conditions, so as long as that still works with a supercharger on it, the CVT will survive, but it will wear out sooner. That's my impression from what I've read.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Small gain using the Injen... but still, not to bad.

Attachments

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts

Thats how my old ghetto intake looked like. I'll take some shots of the new tube later today. I need to buy a longer PCV tube tho. Anyhow as far as HP gains i'm sure i sangged a couple. Its also a little louder. Over all i'm happy with it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes please post pics.

I'd like to see how the Z tube from a Z fits the Murano since the engines are mounted differently.

Also assuming a POP-charger at the end?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Sweet, something more for me to add.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts