Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THere seems to be some question, at least on the GURU site, about what Sal Zano means when he says that you must not use too much.

If you are used to other polishes or even waxes, you may think a quarter size dollop, or a nickel size dollop would be about right.
Wrong.
How about a dime size dollop?
NO! Too much!

Take the applicator as supplied by Zaino.
Wet it.
Squeeze out any excess water.
When you start, put one drop in each corner of the applicator and one in the middle. These are DROPS! About 1/8"-3/16" across! With your finger. smear each drop around a bit on the applicator.
You have enough to start with, to do about a 2'x2' section. Repeat.

As you go along, the applicator will start retaining more Zaino.
So what do you do? Yes! Use LESS! Put maybe 3 or 4 drops on.
By the time you are halfway thru, you are down to putting two drops on the applicator!

You should be able to do a car like a Murano, including the top (including the Sunroof!) with about 1.5 oz of Zaino!

IF you use too much, we can help you, but be advised it is a mess.

NO ONE has ever messed up a car by using TOO LITTLE!

The whole secret to Zaino is to layer it.
It's not hard.
You never press hard.
You never buff hard.
You apply, you wait, you remove.

Some people say that it is too much a pain in the a$$ to use.
Fair enuf.
Zaino is NOT for the "casual" cleaner of cars.
There are many other waxes and polishes out there for people like that. The Guru Report lists many of them.
BUT, if you want the BEST, than use the Zaino.

The second best, BTW is P21S Carnauba wax. It does a beautiful job. You still have to wash the car but nothing goes on and off as easy as the P21S. Why, it is just as easy to apply and buff as ZAino and you don't gain anything by putting on multiple coats.
Note: P21 only lasts about 6 weeks or so.

Homer

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Enforcer...

I hope the initial wash was done with Dawn dish soap. This is needed because it will strip the MO of all wax, oils and dirt. Zaino needs a good bond and that's why Sal recommends the first wash to be done with Dawn. If you haven't then do it the next time you want to clay the car.

Subsequent washes with the Zaino product helps the continuing system of Z6 and further coats of Z2/Z5.

The other trick about application is to spritz your applicator with some Z6 to moisten it. Then it helps to apply THIN coats of Z2 or Z5.

Homer is right about the amount. I'd say even 1 oz could cover the MO.

Also, I didn't see anyone commenting on the use of microfiber towels in the other post. They are the thing now for minimizing swirls.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yep Dawn. Been using it for years. Great stuff.

It took me three applications to put 1.5 oz on. That's .5 oz per application. Using the trademarked "Homer 5-4-3-2 Drop" system! :D Not sure if that's one coat or three?

Eh...to each their own. I have microfibers and they have their uses, but I'll stick with the Zaino recommended cotton. In fact, I bought one of the first microfibers when they first came out, glad to see they have come down in price. Swirls I won't get because I work back and forth. Micro scratches will be reduced because the towels are washed between each use. I don't think they can be eliminated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm glad I already washed mine with Dawn back before I applied Zaino. It is now illegal in Las Vegas to wash your car at home due to water conservation efforts. Yes, you can only go to business car washes that use reclaim or re-cycled water. Its getting stupid out here.

Other than that, I applied my Zaino without wetting the applicator. I never saw anything about that. I'll have to try that next time I apply it. How often do you guys clay bar the paint? I'm curious/wondering about that...

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
I don't clay that often due to the work involved. Maybe 1 - 2 times a year. It does make a great difference though.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the Clay bar only when I want to start over.
With my Mustang I clay barred in 1989. and again in 1995.
With my Taurus SHO it was 1992 and 1995.
With my Miata, it was 1999 and sold the car in 2001.
With my Minivan it was 1997 and sold the car in 2003.
With my Murano it was Oct 2003. Bot it in Sept.

So in other words, I always clay a new car.
I don't reclay for quite awhile. years.
But I do keep up the Z2 treatments.
I always use the Zaino Car wash.
I wash the car once a week. (I live in FL)
I put on a coat of Z2 about once a month.

But you can reclay all you want.
If done correctly it is NOT abrasive.
Plenty of lube, and very little pressure.

Homer

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone used the Zaino z-14 for the HID covers? Just wondering if it would leave or remove swirls from the plastic covers...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used Z1 and Z2 and Z6 for touch ups since applying Zaino back in the fall.

Looking ahead to spring when the weather is a little warmer, do I apply Z2 by itself, or do I have to reapply Z1 first then Z2?

Anybody out there know?

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Z1 is the older Zaino Technology. It is needed with the Z2. If you live in a humid climate, the drying process will take some time before you can buff out the Zaino.

There "new" product, ZFX, is mixed with either Z2 or Z5 and it dramatically reduces the drying time. You can get more coats done (better shine) in a day than with the older technology.

They recommend that you use Z6 between coats of Z2. It ensures that you've wiped off all Z2/Z5 before the next coat. Not sure if it really matters.

I use the Z6 after each car wash.

Check out their web page for more information.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
OK, so after reading the rave reviews on Zaino both here and just about everywhere else, I went and ordered some...

Are you people happy?! It was 2AM and I was sitting at the freaking computer buying CAR POLISH!!! See what you've done?!

Anyhow, just got an email saying it should be here Wednesday... hopefully the rain will hold off for me this weekend!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts