Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my own tests, Zaino on my Mo and Collinites 845 on wife's Quest. Zaino came off easier but had to wait a little longer. Collinite went on easier but had to make sure I put it on thin. Both look good in the PA sun so I will wait and see which holds up. Collinites was cheaper $14.95 at Advanced Auto here.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well, I put the collinate on in the beginning of April... and again at the end of April. My opinion... It works, but it's not that great.

When it rains, the rain beads and comes right off. Water does not get to my paint at all. I'm not that impressed how it is otherwise. I have no wax-y feel on my Mo though. My hand doesn't glid / If I toss a towel on the hood, it doesn't sticks / the smooth feeling is gone. So although it still might be protected after two coats, I don't love the feel / look of it - the shine is gone.

Will Zaino keep that smooth feeling I'm looking for? Can I Zaino a month after I've collinated ?? Should I just use Mcquires instead, which I had used on my old Nissan 240sx and loved?

Thanks -

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Since I have used collinite for 5 years, I may be a bit biased but....
I have never seen anything that beads water as long as collinite.
Yes, it does lose it's super duper slippery feel quite fast, but it does still bead and keep most of the crap off of your car for months.
Like this morning, I drove in with water beads all over Mo. After 10 minutes of 80 mph freeway, it looked as if it had just been washed and dried, on a coat at least 2 months old--I think it's three now.
I say go for the McGuires, see how long it lasts.....see if it will bead for 4 months. See if anything will bead for 4 months, much less stay slick--without adding z6 or z whatever touchups.
I don't touch up, I just wash.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Meguiars will not last for 4 months. I've used the three step Gold Class from Meguiars the results are great (fantastic shine, smooth as glass), but the coat is gone in a month.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Collinite

I have to agree with mgthe3. We had not had much rain here in the past month until this week. Last month I stripped the Murano using Dawn while washing, I clayed the whole car, applied a base coat of Klasse All In One and then applied the Collinite over the Klasse. I have never been so satisfied with any wax. I just noticed over the past several days that normally when it rains I am left with large ugly dirty water spots. Now when it rains, if I drive the car the water blows right off, if I let it sit without driving, it rolls right off. The car looks like it has just been washed right after a rain shower instead of looking like I rolled it in the dirt. The Collinite has been great for me, it is really hard to keep a dark car looking clean and it has definitely helped.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Before collinite I abhored the rain. Now I welcome it....although it does have the nasty habbit of splashing dirrt from my yard runoff up onto the black plastic at the bottom of the doors. But, if it rains on the way into work, it gets washed off as well.
Collinite is the perfect lazy man's wax.
Come on rain, give Mo another bath!
:2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Okay, I got the point... although collinate might not look and feel the best... it works pretty dam well. I do agree it does work well as far as protection is concerned, which is the #1 concern. I suppose I'll just keep my baby Collinated and not worry about that smooth feel.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
hmmmmm......... from all this discussion here, i am thinking of changing my mind about zaino. i do realize its not meant for protection, just for polishing..... and i am not that big fan of car's bling bling.... but do like my MO to be safe.

so about this collinite.... is 845 the number for that ? since i only saw 20, 18, 40 here at a local auto shop.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
hmmmmm......... from all this discussion here, i am thinking of changing my mind about zaino. i do realize its not meant for protection, just for polishing..... and i am not that big fan of car's bling bling.... but do like my MO to be safe.

so about this collinite.... is 845 the number for that ? since i only saw 20, 18, 40 here at a local auto shop.
I bought off e-bay from "jtpt1" with good results. Just search e-bay for "Collinite 845" and it should pop up. Cheapest price I found @ $9 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You guys are kidding yourself if you think ANY carnauba wax product can outshine OR outprotect a polymer based product.

Do some due diligence.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
U are kinda late aren'tcha Homer?

I figured you would be commenting before now. hehe

I just started waxing yesterday Homer......
How often do you Z6 or whatever the touchup treatment is?
Just asking....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I personally don't use Z6. It does nothing to extend protection. But it sure does Shine!
It's a good product and all, but I don't need the last possible bit of shine anymore.

Now, I have used it.
I have told this story many times before so my apologies to those who may be reading it for the umpteenth time.
In 2000, I was living in Port St Lucie and entered my 99 Miata in the Annual Concours de Elegance Car Show at Ft Pierce.
It had about 10 coats of Z2 on it (Culmative over about a year) so I did the whole thing with a bath of Z7 and a final coat of Z2. Then, just before, and during, the show, I used a spritz of Z6.

I won the "Late Model" Concours.
I barely beat out a Black 1998? Corvette which had a ton of Meguiars on it. The judges got it down to us two pretty quick, but they went back and forth several times before they motioned that the Miata was the winner.
It looked like a perfect Red Miata...... sealed in glass.

I always figured it was the final spritz that won........but it could have been several other things.

I used the Z6 up and never bought any more.
Meguiars has a spritz too. Same deal, just an "enhancer".
They DO work.
I'm just satisfied in the job that Z2 does.

I really don't care what everybody uses.
And Voltage Insulator wax from a specialty company is fine with me.
I do suspect however that Insulator Wax has different requirements than auto wax that is put on polymer paint.
Now if I drove a late model insulator.........:D
But read up on "Polymer versus Carauba Wax".

In fact that makes a good google.
You will come across Barry Meguiars take on it, and he makes both kinds of products.

Again I say, there is nothing wrong with Carnauba. (My favorite is P21 over a Z2 finish), but Carnauba just cannot protect as long as a polymer.
Physically impossible.
One lays on top the paint, the other bonds with the paint.
One can be removed using Dishwashing soap, the other can't.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I hear ya Homer :)

I know your love of Zaino. I understand your reasoning behind it as well.
It would be very interesting to see who makes what additive in what "wax" wouldn't it? I suspect Dupont makes additives in both our products--humorous no?
I have used polymers as well. I have used many types of wax, Raindance paste was my fave for many years, it tends to clean (read--polishing compound) too much for me to use now. I remember my sponge turning the color of the car I was waxing. But, I was in my early 20's when I used raindance weekly-- and by golly, my Ford Elite looked like it was dipped in glass. As a matter of fact, you could actually see a 1/64" coat on the edge of the trunk lid when you opened it.

A bro-inlaw of mine sells chemicals for a living. He has turned me on to a few things that have been very good and unusual. One of them was a paint that contained hollow ceramic microspheres. It had an R value of like 15 with one coat--of course it was a very thick coat, but one coat of paint giving that much insulation was amazing, and very unusual. The other thing he showed me was collinite. It's not yellow like most carnubas. It is quite defiant of detergents, so , I say you are wrong when it comes to Dawn on collinite, I think you need to read a little more about collinite, not what someone else says about it and then containerize it in the "caruba wax" box. Of course, I would never apply a dishwashing detergent to a coating on my cars. A very tame surfactant is the only thing that will touch my autos.
Yes, it is called insulator wax. But if you visit their site you may see that their other waxes have other names.
The play on words was humorous though ;)

I'll use collinite, I'll say why I use it.
You'll use Zaino, and say why you use it.
It's all good :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Okay, so I'm learning that it is a personal preference which people prefer... they both do the job well. I still don't like the fact that collinate doesn't leave a smooth feeling shine though. Can I collinate it again (Did it twice in April) to get the feel back? Is there a limit on wax jobs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok here are the results of my unoffical test so far. Both waxes are doing great so far, both the Mo and Quest still have a good shine. My Mo with Zaino beads a little better when I rinse. I wash both cars at least once a week and I do use a enhancer on them to keep up the shine and make my neighbors shake theirs heads cause my vechicles look great sitting in the driveway. Had many offers to detail their cars but I am retired and work at my own pace. I did do a quick detail on one car and used collintes because it was quicker and my buddy loves it. So on we go with the unoffical wax test here in the Burgh. By reading these posts it is good to see that people are taking care of their Mo`s no matter what they use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts