Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the Zaino Ultimate Kit for my 4 day old Murano - Super Black. Never done any detailing in my life, but since everyone was swearing by Zaino and the testimonials proved any Joe could make the Mo shine, I decided what the hell.

So, check out my checklist below and let me know if I'm going to f'up anywhere. I basically parsed down the list from Zaino's website

1. Dawn wash
2. Z-18 Claybar with diluted Z-7 as lube
3. Zaino wash (Z-7)
4. ZFX
5. Z-5 coat
6. Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
7. Z-2

Does the ZFx coat need to dry before I put on the Z-5 coat? Also, do I have to let the Z-5 coat dry before I put the Z-2 coat on?

I plan to do the Zaino application this Saturday, around 55 degrees.

I will use the polish applicator and 100% cotton Made In The USA white cotton towels.

What type of dusters are recommend? I would like something compact that I could keep inside the left cargo bin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Zfx is a Z2 additive. You mix it up so that you can apply up to 3 coats in 24 hours.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
I believe that you can use ZFX with either Z5 or Z2. The key is to use thin, thin coats. The ZFX is a catalyst that helps the Z2/Z5 dry faster. Go to their web site for info. Also, www.autopia.org for good detailing info... search on Zaino

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Since your car is new, I'd do the plastic baggie test first to make sure you actually need to do the clay bar. With your car wet, put a plastic baggie on your hand and run it over the horizontal surfaces of your Murano, if you don't feel any tiny imperfections then I'd hold off on clay for now.

Similarly, the Z5 is designed for when you already have swirls which on new paint is unlikely, so you can skip this step. Then follow with Z2+ZFX, buff, and repeat the Z2+ZFX until you are happy with the results.

It is very easy to put too much Z2 on the first time. It's amazing just how little you need to get a good result. Try to keep the amount of Z2 to the bare minimum that will cover the surface you're working on and follow with more coats rather than one heavy coat. If you wipe what you think is dried Z2 with your towel and you get a streak then you've used too much and/or haven't waited long enough to dry.

Here is a pic from a previous post on my results:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts