Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They told me today after reviewing all RO's from ZARZOUR Nissan in Willoughby, Ohio where I bought and had such wonderful service on my murano. That I was not eligible for buy back or exchange. Seven out of Eight problems thus failing to meet minimum requirements by Lemon Law and the time frame was just shy of actual 30 day service on vehicle. Waiting for parts does not count. They also had the audacity to say they stand behind their product Nissan. I should have told them that’s great, come stand behind mine because you can pick up the parts falling off of my Nissan. Well should I pick up my car and grin and bare it and hope that it breaks down just one more time to make it eight or seek legal advice? What to do What to do? Funding is tight for a attorney though.

Here is the "lemon test" as listed on your states web page.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the first 12 months or 18,000 miles did you have one or more of the following occur:

Has the same problem been subject to three or more repair attempts without being fixed?

Has your vehicle been out of service for a total of thirty or more calendar days?

Have there been eight or more different defects in your vehicle?

Has there been at least one failed attempt to repair a "deadly" defect (something that is likely to cause death or serious injury if the vehicle is driven)?

·
Registered
466 Posts
You should talk to a lawyer and see if he/she thinks you have a strong case. If you do, try to work something out where you don't pay unless you win, and if you do win, sue Nissan for lawyer's fees!:2:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
"Out of service" .... How can they say waiting for parts doesn't count? Out of servive is out of service for whatever the reason!

·
5,268 Posts
"out of service" means exactly that - out of service, or not being able to use. For what ever reason........

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I agree with the above. Any time you lose when the dealer has possession of the vehicle is out of service time. I.e. when you hand the keys to the service manager, thats the start of the repair period.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ZAMP, I have been thinking of changing dealerships for my service from Bedford Nissan to Zarzour. What's your experience w/ them service wise?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZAMP, I have been thinking of changing dealerships for my service from Bedford Nissan to Zarzour. What's your experience w/ them service wise?

Lack of Quality on CVT repair
1st. visit. April 23 thru May 17 ( 24 Total in service days )
Work was completed on Transfer Case replacement which included pulling the engine assembly to do the job. Thanks jaak for info and diagram. Three weeks & a few days no Murano

2nd. visit May19 thru May 24 ( 5 Total in service days )
Power steering fluid dripping down reservoir, No A.C., Lossed its Charge and a nice scratch on driver door. Had to wait till May 24th to pick up car because of replacement black molding strip on driver door that was damaged during removal for paint job.

3rd. visit May 25 ( Same Day service )
Driver window misaligned and a new minor scratch marks on black painted surface near window. Pronounced wind noise on freeway with window up. Same Day repair. Was given a Nissan sentra to drive back to work with service engine light on for that day.

4th. visit May 29 thru June 4 ( 6 Total in service days )
CVT Fluid Leak. After driving car to and from work for nearly a week, I noticed that after the smell of lacquer from paint job on door subsided, I now began to smell burning oil in the interior. CVT dripping oil onto exhaust pipe. Mechanic added dye to CVT fluid and I was to continue to drive the car over the Memorial Day weekend. On June 1st. Car is back in shop to see if Colored dye shows up w/black light. This was done to rule out gear lube leak from transfer case. Dye showed up and now they were able to remove transfer case without having to pull motor. Go figure! Bad seal... Once again, Thanks Jaak for info. I suggested that they check the mating spline on and in the CVT for play, slop and run-out., because a new seal won't fix leak if any of those conditions exist.

5th. visit June 7 thru June 17 ( 10 Total in service days )
Kurplunk goes the rear differential spiting out Spider gear, oil and aluminum shrapnel. I have a theory as to how this could have happened. Way back when all this started (April 23-4) with the front transfercase failing (Busted Ring Gear). The car was in motion and with that gear clogging and jamming. It absorbed more stress and passed stress though drive shaft connected to rear differential. This in effect could have caused a light fracture within rear differential components that just now surface as failure today during a tight turn that work out the spider gears. If this theory is correct, then it a viscous cycle…Now the Brand New front transfer case was subjected to the same stress and torture.
A Nissan engineer tended to agree.

All problems concurred one after the other as a result from initial work rendered.

June 19th. I reluctantly picked up my murano after hearing that I was denied for buy-back or exchange on June 18th. From NNA. Which I decided to call case worker @ NNA to appeal their decision. After I reviewed all of my RO's Dates In and Out, I come up with 45 days total that I been without murano. Even if I exclude quality related repair issue dates on Zarzour's behalf, I still come up with 34 days of two major failed drivetrane components (Front Transfer Case & Rear Differential).

·
5,268 Posts
ZAMP,

it is a horror story! I hope that Nissan will rise to the challenge and solve the problem to your satisfaction.

In my opinion it does not matter if you were without car due to carf problems or dealer quality issues. The bottom line is you were without the car!

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZAMP,

it is a horror story! I hope that Nissan will rise to the challenge and solve the problem to your satisfaction.

From June 7 thru June 19 it took many a many phone calls back and forth to get the ball rolling and to clear up miscommunication between caseworker @ nna & service manager. The he said, she said game. They (Zarzour Faxed RO’s), I faxed RO’s, They Overnight RO’s. And it’s no joy trying to get through to your assigned case worker regardless if you know their ex. number and leave multiple messages in high but fruitless hopes to here back from them. You just go on playing the squeaky wheel gets the grease routine and keep calling and calling. I was beginning to think that maybe I just have a not so good caseworker assigned to me so I requested a different one like perhaps a veteran…No good, once you got who you got, you’re stuck with them. Calling 1-800-NISSAN1 is more painful of an experience then you think. I can say this about Zarzour; they have made an obvious better attempt to please me better then NNA. What sucks is that I have to go through the entire phone calling process again because I’m appealing their decision of being denied. In the end of it all if I get denied a second time by NNA, Then I’ll truly stand by my very first thread I ever posted in the problem forum stating (MY FIRST AND LAST MURANO) and NISSAN for that fact. Now if I can get Nissan to SHIFT individuality joy passion originality convention inspiration performance into ACTION! Let’s see if Nissan rises to the challenge.

·
5,268 Posts
That’s a “beauty” of big corporations:
- Marketing department is marketing products and there is a rather disconnect between product and marketing campaign
- Sales are selling something else
- Something else gets delivered
- Warranty people have nothing to do with the above
- Claim people are assessed based on how much money they save (read: dismissed claims)
- We, the poor customer are caught in the middle

Can we win? Yes, we can. But it takes a lot of effort, persistence, sometimes help from lawyers………..

I feel sorry for you. Just be persistent. They count that you simply will go away. Do not give them this satisfaction.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
ZAMP,

Is there any chance you could get your local newspaper to do a story on this? Can't remember if it was on this board or not, but awhile back, someone got the news media involved and got some action. Wish I could remember the problem and resolution.

·
5,268 Posts
Dij,

I remember the story too. One phone call from local paper or tv station solved all the problems and both dealer and Nissan solved the problem. Just cannot recall the exact problem....

But it is an excellent idea.

Otherwise try to contact an autthorney

·
4,664 Posts
Customer satisfaction comes from a good product and good service and support.

It's disgusting what you've been put through and it does make me think about what Nissan's going to do to improve this. It's becoming more of a factor as technolgy in vehicles becomes more complex.

Hmmmm Does Nissan treat Infiniti drivers better?

This is certainly going to be a consideration for me on my next vehicle. I prey I don't have your bad luck and also hope that yours dramatically improves.

You should be enjoying your Murano, not going through this grief...:3:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wednesday 23 around 2:30 pm @ work I received a phone call from case worker over at NNA stating that if I can fax over copies of the 1. (Sales Contract) & 2. (Lean Holder Info). In doing so my case was being moved up into the buy-back process and I should be receiving a phone call from Adam after he reviews faxes to discuss my options. I faxed that same day and have not heard from him yet. Timing is impeccable because yesterday 24th. Coming home from work, I smelled that smell, that smelly smell of oil burning again. Guess what’s leaking again. If and when I here from Adam in charge of my buy-back case, I’m swaying towards just that instead of an exchange provide that I can recoup ever bit of money used to buy the car. If an exchange were to happen, It will be of equal or greater value with free extended warranty. Prior to my nightmare, owning and driving the Murano was a fun experience, but heaven forbid should I need repair service. Knowing what I know now, I would have more satisfaction installing replacement parts and doing my own repairs. But that would void warranty. When I buy a car., I buy it with quality and reliability as a definite concern. I buy a car in high hopes that it will never see the lights of a repair shop. And if I get burned, I chalk it up to a learning experience. Nissan in Consumer Reports Sport Utility special 2003 seems to be trailing in overall score a bit. Plus as I sift through all the various problems posted in the problem forum, it’s not a reassuring feeling to do the exchange thing. I don’t have Consumer Reports 2004, but now that the Murano has been out over a year, what has changed quality and reliability wise?

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Zamp,

Perhaps you just got a lemon. There are lemons among even the most reliable models.

Here's the info from Consumer Reports.

The 2004 car issue gives the Murano above average for reliability and satisfaction is excellent.

Overall ratings: The vehicles rated Excellent (in order of score) are:

Audi Allroad
BMW X5
Lexus RX330 (recommended)
Honda Pilot (recommended)
Nissan Murano
Toyota Highlander (recommended)
Cadillac SRX

Safety: in the mid-size Sport Utility category, only the Lexus RX330 and the Chrysler Pacifica are rated above it for safety, and the Acura MDX, Volvo XC90, and Toyota 4Runner are also rated overall Excellent. The top three are rated above average for accident avoidance and excellent for crash protection.

In the reliability categories, only body integrity and body hardware were rated as low as above average. Everything else was rated excellent.

CR's only complaint about the Murano is the steering problem.

·
4,664 Posts
I still love mine, which makes it really hard to see you go through all this....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NNA pulled through. Two options given were (1.) Car exchange for a 2004 Copper Cat SL AWD w/Premium Package, Cabernet Leather, Sunroof, Carpeted Floor Mats & Splash Guards. (Basically what I already had). And just to continue making uninterrupted car payments. Or (2.) Buyback where we were reimbursed with a check for a combined fifteen months worth payments plus our down payment. I Asked NNA for a free extended warrantee but was told that they feel their standard warrantee was sufficient enough to back their product. Well after much thought, the wife and I decided to give Nissan and the Murano another chance. We opted for option (2.) to take the check and apply most of it as a down payment towards a 2004 Copper Cat SL AWD at Nissans 1.9% finance rate for 48 month with no penalty for early payoff. We tried for the 0.9% rate but missed out that same day on it. Our previous rate was 4.55% though Chase. So as of Sat.7-3-4 we drove home with a new 2004 Copper SL AWD Murano. In the end, it all worked out great because we reduced our monthly payment and the length of the loan. Seeing that the problems I was experiencing were isolated, it was helpful in realizing that maybe my previous Murano was just a lemon off the assembly line and in deciding to try a new. So in conclusion I would like to thank everyone in the forum for their feed back, info and support.:2:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Zamp, congrats... Now everyone in this forum who have a lemon murano..

will know who to talk to (look for help) if they want to bring up a case to NNA ;)

Why dont you "upgrade" the murano and get the nav alltogether when you go with option #2?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Zamp, congrats... Now everyone in this forum who have a lemon murano..

SugarRushMurano said:
will know who to talk to (look for help) if they want to bring up a case to NNA ;)

Why dont you "upgrade" the murano and get the nav alltogether when you go with option #2?
Were not rich, more money, bigger monthly payment, & no need for navigation. Car will stay in stock format...Every fourth or fifth year, the wife and I take turns on trading in and buying our next car. So in essence, the new murano must last eight to ten years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts