Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone ordered the new Zenrin 6.4 DVD? On the "purchase" link, apparently you can buy it right now, which is quite early. I thought the anticipated release date is around Nov 2005.

Since I live in Canada, I am entitled to a free DVD update. I don't know why but in that free DVD update page, their latest version is only 6.3 and NOT 6.4.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I contacted Zenrin Customer Service. The lady on the phone said the new Zenrin 6.4 just came out last Monday. Its just the guy who is in charge of the website hasn't updated it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just wondering if the Zenrin software is what comes with the vehicles from factory? It seems like it kinda looks a little different - and the website seems a little generic to me for something that costs so much. My disk does say version 6.3 but it has Navteq on it, not Zenrin. I also thought it was odd because I found older CD versions on ebay for significantly more then the $190 that was advertised on a flyer I got in the mail today.

Are there other options out there for nav software that you can choose to use in the Murano?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I believe Zenrin is Nissan's NAV system, so there are no other options available.

PS: I am waiting for my Zenrin 6.4 disc to come in, hopefully by the week!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm,
Ok - I'll check back in a few days - see if you had the chance to try it out. I know the 6.3 disk I have is really missing a lot of new changes in our area.

I also hope they changed the logic for giving directions. I've set mine several times for a destination I've already traveled to and found the NAV to give all kinds of goofy directions till it finally gets you to your dest. I don't really use it all that often - if anything - just for a local map to find where I'm going instead of actually getting directions from it. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i wonder if vr.6.4 comes with the new navigation interface nissan is useing for the 06's

·
Registered
25 Posts
nissanlove said:
i wonder if vr.6.4 comes with the new navigation interface nissan is useing for the 06's
According to Zenrin, no. That interface is part of the 7.x series of nav software, which only runs on the newer hardware in the '06 models. :(

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
bummer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wohoo! The Zenrin 6.4 DVD came in today in a box (shipped by UPS) with 2 discs (one DVD and one CD). The CD is for updating the navigation system in the car.

Things went smooth, got it up running in no time. Roads were updated in my area as they were being built only in the last year.

Now, the home position is stuck at Zenrin headquarters in the States. I'll drive my MO tomorrow and it'll change :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got the flyer in the mail yesterday too, advertising free shipping. I looked at the Zenrin website, which lists some things. The biggest is the coverage and number of roads available.

Freestyler - Can you list the differences you notice in the new vs. old versions? Any difference in the interface? Also, does the installation retain the address book?

I'm debtaing if spending $190 is worth it. Or wait till v6.5. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are no changes in interface.

There are a ton of POI (Point of Interest) added, and as well new roads in my area.

And the decision of whether you should get the Zenrin 6.4 really depends on what previous version you have. If you have a Zenrin 6.3, then I don't think you should go for it. Anything under Zenrin 6.3, I would highly consider upgrading.

If you are like me, my upgrade was from Zenrin 6.1 to 6.4. I would not wait until 6.5 simply because the wait is 1 long year, which means my MO is another year older! And who knows what will happen in that year, you might sell your car or what not. Might as well enjoy it while you can, live your day like it was your last. Heck, that sounded too far-fetched and cliched. But thats how I see it.

-FX

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just bought version 6.4 from a guy on eBay for $95.50 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8012699570

I'm splitting the cost with a buddy of mine that has an Infiniti with Navigation, so the cost to me including the extra DVD+R Dual Layer DVD that I'll use to make another copy is around $50 and $50 for my buddy. Much better than $190.

I'm sure it's a "copied" DVD from the guy on eBay, but I'm okay with that, as long as it works...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Let us know how it works (both the copy you bought and your copy). :D I wouldn't mind saving $100+.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, it looks like the ebay item I purchased was removed from eBay due to copyright violations....Fortunately, my copy was mailed the other day (before the removal), and I should receive it shortly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, I've gotten the 6.4 version of the DVD working, but I had to burn a copy to a new DVD to get it to work. The copy I received from eBay was not being recognized by the Navigation Unit.

The DVD I purchased has a label applied to it, and the guy I bought it from suggested that that might be the problem. He used a "Verbatim DVD+R DL" disc with a label applied. I burned a copy to a "RiData DVD+R DL" disc and DID NOT apply a label, and it works great. I have some Verbatim discs too, so I may try that with my friend. My friend has an older Infiniti system, so I may get different results on his system.

I'll post an update after we try things on his car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an '03 G35 and have nav version 6.1. Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of their 6.4 DVD? If so, what's the price?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts