Join Date: Apr 2016
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Well....this is interesting and possibly worth looking into. One concern for me is any thing that goes wrong and they dealer will blame the head unit replacement.
Good job, keep us informed.
If the dealer is giving you grief about the headlights then you need to find a new dealer and tell the current one to take a hike. I saw that you posted that a couple of weeks ago.
Do you have a SV, SL, or platinum? Does the surround cameras work? So many questions. LOL
Again, good job tho. Interesting to see how this works for you as the weeks go by. One thing I noticed about the seller was they have only had the store sine late 2015. Hopefully that won't be a problem for you. Time zone difference for support could be a pain as well. Trade offs I guess.
Engine light...possibly airbag related?
1. Issues with dealer is a no go for me and I can't travel to another city to find another dealer
2. Engine light is a major issue and if it's airbag related it's even worse then
3. Numerous issues with steering controls not working, backup camera, even their GPS unit may be not as good as built-in.
4. In general lot's of gremlins in electrical wiring - who knows what this chinese crap unit will do to electrics of Murano if engine light already came on (not to mention lost 3 screws - that would bother me a lot)
5. Worst of all - this crap unit may stop working any time now, I've seen many of those stop working after a month or a year. And then you have to deal again with complete replacement again. In best case scenario driving with dead head unit until that seller from ali-express will aree to send you new one for free and then do it all over again - yack. In worst case - when out of warranty - it's just money lost and dead head unit without music, GPS, backup camera or steering wheel controls, issues with engine light, airbag system and who knows what else?
I was an early adopter of chinese crap units back in 2013, but then I decided it's not worth it. Their numerous head units working on Android mostly - have various bugs in software, freezes etc. Often sound quality is subpar and even screen is so-so. Just my 2c.
Well, thank you for your feedback.
So the Nissan engineers could not figure out how to get a single app (nissan connect) to work properly, I mean it is useless the way it is, and it's been around for more than 2 years. So what are you left with? And you call this a chinese crap?
Maybe you had a bad experience with one of these unit, but I don't think you should label them as chinese crap. At least they are trying, and they are the only one I can find that build these android unit, make them available and affordable around the world. There is lot of research and development that goes into building these units. For $500, you can get everything Android has to offer with no limitation as to what you can put in it or how you want it to look like; right now you cannot even buy a android smartphone for less than $500.
I paid 40,000 for a car with a crappy audio system and an outdated GPS, low resolution display, no cloud connectivity at all. Now, even Ford has better technology than Nissan.
The first thing I noticed after I installed the android unit is the sound improvement, it was such a big difference. I was planning on replacing my speakers, but after I heard it with this new head unit, I might just keep them.
So far, I have had a good experience with this unit. It fits the Murano perfectly, I can put anything I want in it, it has everything you would want in a car. It is a stripped down version of android, but you can go to google play and download anything you feel will be useful to you in the car. It is not perfect, as I have issues with my steering wheel control and my engine light is on, but I don't think it is that big of a deal, I am sure they will figure it out.
I am just giving you my first impression as I have never own this kind of unit before. I like the build quality, it is not worse than the original head unit. I like the resolution, so much better than the original head unit. I like the fact that I am in total control of the unit, I don't have to schedule a date to drive to nissan to have them update my map every year or so.
I have driven 3 hours to New Jersey from MD, listening to music, while the GPS was running and running Bluetooth (ODB2), and I have not seen any glitches. It has been very responsive to all my commands so far.
Apple Carplay is coming to the 2017 model. There will be an software upgrade possible for 2015/2016 but it will also require a change in hardware. That is all I can say for now.
|Rate This Thread|