Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
my 2017 Murano is also experiencing the front radar obstruction problem. what's scary is that when it happens it disables the cruise control. was on the highway last weekend passing another vehicle at 75 mph and it did it and disabled the cruise. A bit startling and dangerous. Dealer says Nissan is "engineering" the problem and a fix is not available. Called customer service today at Nissan and filed a case on it. They don't seem to be concerned about it, but I want it fixed! Anyone else have this issue and get if fixed? Dealer says all the 2018's are experiencing it. If that's true, then Nissan surely will do something about it.
That is too bad. We really need to know why the units are failing because they obviously work when the cars are new. Is it heat, cold, vibration, road debris impact, faulty wiring in the sensor, a bad chip, water infilittration...the list is possibly very long. Something is happening that is causing outright or intermittent failure and this should be identifiable and fixable. Very frustrating to have happen to a brand new vehicle. Just make sure everyone call Nissan to complain as well as bring to dealer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That is too bad. We really need to know why the units are failing because they obviously work when the cars are new. Is it heat, cold, vibration, road debris impact, faulty wiring in the sensor, a bad chip, water infilittration...the list is possibly very long. Something is happening that is causing outright or intermittent failure and this should be identifiable and fixable. Very frustrating to have happen to a brand new vehicle. Just make sure everyone call Nissan to complain as well as bring to dealer.
As this article states, Nissan is aware of the issue:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/faulty-radars-compromising-nissan-emergency-braking-system/

The issue appears to be with the Bosch supplied sensor. Quote:

But a problem with some of those radar modules — a third-party component supplied by Bosch — makes the sensor frequently deactivate itself, disabling cruise control and the emergency braking system. A warning flashes on the dashboard to indicate the problem: “Front radar unavailable due to obstruction.” End Quote.

More then likely, the radar modules have a bad batch with some faulty component causing this issue. Old timers might remember the china capacitor issue back in early 2000's when new computers were dying left and right after only a few weeks of running due to cheap crappy china capacitors on new motherboards. I would suspect something similar going on here. The other possibility was a design change to save costs in manufacturing and parts, something commonly done as more and more of the units are required.

I do feel sorry for the people caught up in this issue. Unfortunately, I predict that Nissan will be taking a very large hit if there was a single long run batch of these radar units with this issue.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My wife’s ‘16 Plat uses the radar cruise flawlessly every day on the way to work. She sets it to stay back from cars that cut in front and throw rocks up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am having the same issue. I bought my first ever Brand new vehicle. A 2018 Nissan Murano Platinum. OO boy I thought new car no issues. Boy was I wrong !! Issues started right from day one with seats not warming up or cooling. Then I was locked out. ( thats a whole other issue) Then the Navigation screen went black. My car only has 8000 km. All I get is a bunch of BS from the dealership and Nissan. Very disappointed in customer service that Nissan offers. I should've stuck with Chev/GM. OOO and no timeline on when the part will be here to fix cruise/ breaking system. Nice thanks for nothing. !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front radar obstruction

That is too bad. We really need to know why the units are failing because they obviously work when the cars are new. Is it heat, cold, vibration, road debris impact, faulty wiring in the sensor, a bad chip, water infilittration...the list is possibly very long. Something is happening that is causing outright or intermittent failure and this should be identifiable and fixable. Very frustrating to have happen to a brand new vehicle. Just make sure everyone call Nissan to complain as well as bring to dealer.[

Thanks for response and to Paul Day for the additional information on this. Knowledge is power! I am giving Nissan the opportunity to respond and resolve this but I won't go away quietly. Believe we need to keep the pressure on. Any additional information is appreciated!

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is too bad. We really need to know why the units are failing because they obviously work when the cars are new. Is it heat, cold, vibration, road debris impact, faulty wiring in the sensor, a bad chip, water infilittration...the list is possibly very long. Something is happening that is causing outright or intermittent failure and this should be identifiable and fixable. Very frustrating to have happen to a brand new vehicle. Just make sure everyone call Nissan to complain as well as bring to dealer.[

Thanks for response and to Paul Day for the additional information on this. Knowledge is power! I am giving Nissan the opportunity to respond and resolve this but I won't go away quietly. Believe we need to keep the pressure on. 6Any additional information is appreciated!

I was in same Boat with you this summer as you can tell from the above. Bought used with 9400 miles which the car came from Florida to Texas. Read the service receipt I attached previously . It took 2 dealerships and 3 weeks waiting to get my vehicle back but now its working perfectly . I never use the cruise control but Now my vehicle brakes for me and warns me of front obstructions

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 does exactly the same thing. This vehicle only has 4500 km on it and it has been a problem from day 1. It is not only annoying but it is a safety concern when operating the vehicle at high speed and in tight traffic as the vehicle slows when the CC kicks off without any break lights to warn the car following you that you are slowing down. This problem appears to be wide spread so Nissan needs to step up and address this issue as any reputable car manufacturer should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front radar obstruction

Thanks for response and to Paul Day for the additional information on this. Knowledge is power! I am giving Nissan the opportunity to respond and resolve this but I won't go away quietly. Believe we need to keep the pressure on. Any additional information is appreciated!
10/05/2018: Follow up on this. Have talked with Nissan and the dealership numerous times. STill no fix!!! Would appreciate others who have this problem to call Nissan and complain. I also filed a complaint with NHTSA. This is a safety issue to me. I'm not going away! If I can't get a fix, I will get rid of this vehicle and never buy another Nissan! OK, I feel better now, but my vehicle is still not fixed!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
So I have a 2018 Nissan Sentra SR. The night I drove it off the lot, I got a front radar obstruction warning on my dash. I called the dealership the next day and brought my car back in. I was told by the service dept that there was a problem with the sensor and Nissan was working to fix the problem. But I had to wait for a new sensor to come in. I've dealt with the beeping for weeks, (it goes off roughly 7-8 times a day) and I finally received a call that the new part was in and to bring my car in to have the sensor replaced. I dropped my car off and the next day they call and tell me it's ready to be picked up. I go get my car and not even 5 miles from the dealership, the sensor goes off AGAIN! I take a picture of the warning and immediately call the service department. He tells me to give it a few days to hopefully reset itself and in the meantime, he is going to look into what else could be causing the sensor to malfunction. He is suppose to call me Friday. As of today, the sensor has malfunction at least 10 times since I picked up my car. Sometimes it goes off when there is nothing in front of me at all. I'm at my whits end with this. I am on my 3rd vehicle from Nissan since July 31 due to problems with the cars. I have been documenting each warning with pictures so I have the proof. What else could be going wrong with the car? It's brand new! 45 miles on it when I purchased it. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up our new 18 Murano in mid September in Alberta and drove it back to Manitoba. No issues with the radar unit on the 1200 km trip (it slowed the car to the vehicle speed ahead ok while in cruise) but I'm now concerned about the unit getting smacked by road debris and disabling the cruise and EBS after reading others comments. So wondering if anyone has tried covering the unit with something to protect it. I know the manual mentions possible malfunctions if covering it with opaque or transparent coverings. I had some plexiglass handy so cut a piece to fit over the radar unit and fastened to the plastic grill overtop with screws and rubber washers. Tried it out yesterday and no issues with the cruise but true test will come for the EBS if needed. Will try it out with traffic ahead to see if it adjusts speed accordingly. Comments?

·
Registered
26 Posts
This seems like an amazing fix, if it works, hard to imagine Nissan not trying this right? Seems like having this go bad is one of the most frequent significant repeat posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
10/18/2018: Got call from dealer yesterday advising me to bring my car in for a software update which would take 3 hours. So I took it in this morning expecting a three hour wait. After about 45 minutes the service advisor came and told me the fix didn't work! So this is still an issue. Asked him what the next step would be. Said he would get with Nissan to see. Checking my States Lemon Law to see how many times I have to bring it in before the Lemon Law applies. Doesn't seem to me like Nissan is doing much of anything to resolve this.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A clear shield sounds good, but I am concerned about what happens when it gets clouded from road debris over time and gets less transparent. Might be cheap to make multiple plexiglass covers from a large sheet and then swap out every 10k or so. Would want to know how to reliably attach so that it stays in place and can be swapped out easily. Keep us posted and post some pics. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took my '18 Murano Platinum AWD into dealership on Thursday, they tried to turn me away saying that there was nothing that can be done, but Nissan knows about the issue but they are not currently communicating with any dealership about the issue.

The reason I took the Murano in was at the request of my regional Nissan Consumer Affairs rep. About after an hour or so at the dealership they said that there was an error code for the sensor and the shop foreman talked with Nissan and they said that the code was not considered a considerable error and to do nothing.

I do not buy this excuse since when the error is active it renders the ICC and Forward braking inoperable. This also renders the Cruise control inoperable since it cannot use the ICC to tell how close you are to the car in front of you.

Just a word of warning, I was on a road trip this past weekend while using the Cruise control the front sensor error out, this caused the cruise control to stop working and applied the brakes to slow the car down, almost causing a accident. This happened to me and my wife both on separate times. I am talking to Nissan about the safety issue as I no longer feel safe with my family in the car if something like this happens again

I am asking Nissan to either fix the issue or buy it back at full price under the Lemon Law and I will go get something else other than Nissan

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2018 is 7 months old and I have never had this issue. I just returned from a 4000+ road trip and the cruise control ran perfectly. Took a little getting used to because at first I didn’t trust it, but got used to it over time.

Last weekend we did have a wet sloppy snow and I did get a warning it was blocked/disabled. Stopped to eat and in the 30 minutes I was stopped the snow melted off and I didn’t get the warning again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017.5 Murano. The beep and the sensor icon seem completely random. I've tried to keep track of weather, traffic, cars cutting in and out in front of me...can find absolutely no consistence. The beep sounded and the icon came on one time at a red light! The sensor has been replaced once already, but my insurance company paid for it because of a very minor front end collision. Within the past few months, I have had the same symptoms as all other posts at this site. I had a discussion with the dealer, my service advisor, the service manager, the mechanic who diagnosed the sensor's problems. Initially the dealer said "Sorry, the sensor is bad but not covered by warranty.' My cost to replace the sensor, though its problems were no fault of mine, was $1,600! Any way, after discussions with the Nissan people, and my insurance company, Nissan told me they would replace the sensor at no cost to me. Great news of course, but what happens in six months when it goes out again? My insurance company approved the claim as an "exception"...something normally not covered. Good of them, but while they were discussing the claim and its ultimate resolution, Nissan did the right thing and agreed to replace the sensor. However, there will be at least a 3 week delay until the part comes in. I experienced the same delay the last time the part was replaced. Aren't many of us asking...why the delay? Are there so many of their customers crying "foul" at this situation? Many non-answer by Nissan, but I still have to admire their ultimate decision to cover the sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue five months ago. The dealership replaced the detector and the surrounding bracket, per Nissan. All was well, until 2 weeks ago when the problem resurfaced. Took it back to the dealer today, who worked with Nissan on the diagnostic and a course of action. Nissan is aware of this problem, it is occurring on other models, but THEY DO NOT HAVE A SOLUTION!!! So they have instructed the dealer to NOT DO ANYTHING. Nissan will now not cover the cost of another replacement and is "performing an engineering review." There is no date when this review will be completed, no interim course of action, nothing. The dealer has referred me to Consumer Affairs, who I will contact tomorrow when my blood pressure returns to normal. Though, based on the comments I've read throughout the forum, I am not confident that they will do anything either. I can not think of a better way to turn your brand into garbage.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That’s weird. My wife’s ‘16 platinum and my ‘18 S base both have fully functioning sensors. I wonder if we’re lucky, or if the few on here complaining are the few. Sounds like it’s a real problem though. Sucks for those struggling with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ended up taking mine to the dealer to take a look at the issue. They tested it and conclusion is front radar sensor and bracket must be replaced. No cost to me, but have to wait for part to arrive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I would join this conversation as well since my brand new 2018 Murano SL AWD is also experiencing front radar obstruction. I can’t say I’m too Impressed with Nissan on this. And why don’t they have a fix yet??
I have friends you have this feature on other brand vehicles and no one else seems to have this problem. I’ll probably take my vehicle to service and complain about the issue so it’s on record and see if I can submit a formal complaint somewhere. I did see that Nissan has recognized this problem in Sentras but not really other makes. I wonder if I can get a sensor from a different brand and install it???
I’m not sure if I’m posting a reply correctly as this is my first time saying anything. I apologize if it ends up somewhere wierd.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
45 Participants
Ron Vanderzwaag
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing